Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There are people who make high salary that are in severe debt.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I disagree. North Katy's roads are fine. A lot of them have been expanded and/or are connection with each other (Greenhouse and Park Row for example).
Which division?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
There are people who make high salary that are in severe debt.
Not Petroleum Engineers. They are superbly sensible and rational - much like Mr. Spock. The only time they are extravagant is when estimating drilling budget on a well so they can look good when they come in under or have major problems and only come in a bit over due to the "padding".

Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Not Petroleum Engineers. They are superbly sensible and rational - much like Mr. Spock. The only time they are extravagant is when estimating drilling budget on a well so they can look good when they come in under or have major problems and only come in a bit over due to the "padding".

You can be making $30K a year and have high values in Assets also. It comes down to spending, saving and where you are investing your money wisely.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,867 times
Thank you all for your replies, they are very helpful.

Mike

Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 AM

15 posts, read 33,258 times
Hi, I'm a Chinese New Yorker on the verge of retirement, and was initially looking at Philly because their houses were much cheaper than NYC, plus there's a Chinatown and sizable Asian population. Then an acquaintance suggested I investigate Houston, which I did; well the more I did, the more I liked. Not only did I discover that there was an old and new Chinatown, but an enclave of Asians in the 30% range, plus in an area that is obviously educated and socially stable (Sugar Land).

To make a long story short, Philly is now starting to look a lot like New York did, and Houston instead seems to be my top choice. Just a few questions regarding racial conflicts; have there been anything along the lines of widespread anti-Asian crimes or civil rights cases involving Asian victims in Houston in particular, or in Texas in general? I ask this because Philly, despite being called the city of brotherly love, currently has a real big issue in one of its schools in which Asian kids are being physically targeted and assaulted by roving gangs of either black or white students. As I understand it, there is currently a federal civil rights action in progress stemming from that incident.

Even if there hasn't been anything as serious as federal involvement, has there been instances of racially motivated crimes against Houston's Asians that anyone can recall of the recent past? I attempted to find some with on line searches, but didn't (glad about it). However as a parent with three kids, I nonetheless would like to hear confirmation form forum users here if possible. Thanks

Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphrepo View Post
Hi, I'm a Chinese New Yorker on the verge of retirement, and was initially looking at Philly because their houses were much cheaper than NYC, plus there's a Chinatown and sizable Asian population. Then an acquaintance suggested I investigate Houston, which I did; well the more I did, the more I liked. Not only did I discover that there was an old and new Chinatown, but an enclave of Asians in the 30% range, plus in an area that is obviously educated and socially stable (Sugar Land).

To make a long story short, Philly is now starting to look a lot like New York did, and Houston instead seems to be my top choice. Just a few questions regarding racial conflicts; have there been anything along the lines of widespread anti-Asian crimes or civil rights cases involving Asian victims in Houston in particular, or in Texas in general? I ask this because Philly, despite being called the city of brotherly love, currently has a real big issue in one of its schools in which Asian kids are being physically targeted and assaulted by roving gangs of either black or white students. As I understand it, there is currently a federal civil rights action in progress stemming from that incident.

Even if there hasn't been anything as serious as federal involvement, has there been instances of racially motivated crimes against Houston's Asians that anyone can recall of the recent past? I attempted to find some with on line searches, but didn't (glad about it). However as a parent with three kids, I nonetheless would like to hear confirmation form forum users here if possible. Thanks
I'm Asian and I have lived in the Texas cities of Houston, Austin, & Dallas. Houston & Dallas, you'll be perfectly fine. In Austin, you'll be fine but it lacks as many Asian Amenities.

The only thing you have to watch out for if you're into outdoor activities during the summer is the humidity in Houston during summer. And that's it. Houston is by far and away more integrated than Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, & Washington DC.

Houston has the largest Asian population and the largest Chinese population in Texas. And you are correct there is a Old Chinatown near Downtown which did shrink a bit but is now going to be revitalized. And there is a New Chinatown also, which is rapidly becoming larger.

Sugar Land is a very Asian friendly and very ethnic place. You will be fine there. In all my years in Texas I have never experienced any form of racism at all, and Houston has one of THE largest Chinese populations in the country and most of them are quite happily living on their lives.

You will be fine, and if you have any questions let me know. Houston if you can take the summer weather, will be a good fit for you. But everything is air conditioned either way, unless you're out jogging at 12 Noon, you have nothing to worry about here.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
I have only been in the Houston area 4 years, but we have never had any anti-Asian sentiment come up. My dil is Hindu-Indian. We have had some Christian proselytizing, but no bullying so far. My grandkids don't *look* particularly Indian though.

Now, I am not sure if you mean anti-Muslim. If so, there is a bit more likelihood, but we have not experienced it. We have plenty of Muslim neighbors here and as far as I know no one has targeted them at all. There was a *possible* hate crime involving a Houston Mosque in 2006 involving graffiti.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM

687 posts, read 2,128,262 times
Dannyy is spot on. Another thing about Houston, if you're interested in participating in organizations (that participates in community service) -- there are lots, from the Chinese Professional Club, to the Chinese seniors club, the Asian Giving Circle, etc.... There are also many non-profit organizations that would love volunteers, whether to help with a program, or to serve on boards, if you have the skills, interest and inclination.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 33,258 times
Thanks to all for the quick replies and the words of reassurance. Since I'm basically making a move of a lifetime, and buying a house (which would almost be impossible to sell back in this market, LOL...) I'm sort of doing something that would be irrevocable. As such, I wanted to be absolutely sure of the social climate before such big move. Thanks again to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston