Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM

2,066 posts, read 4,321,839 times

Advertisements

A neighbor has won yard of the month.

I need to get moving on my landscaping idea(s).

Any of you have outstanding front lawns (are you the neighbors to beat in your barrio?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,579,235 times
Try HGTV for some great tips. What style are you going for?

Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,334,958 times
I just want a lawn!! (condo life right now...)

But good luck with yours. I say hire a college kid studying landscape architecture and be his guinea pig.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:40 PM

200 posts, read 1,064,263 times
Easy there. Remember the community standards
I think I have the best grass and flowering crape myrtles

Old 07-02-2008, 03:57 PM

283 posts, read 1,278,185 times
I can tell you a lot of things NOT to do. Remember the Wilkerson's yard in the TV sitcom Malcolm in the Middle? Even their yard looks better than mine. My neighbors hate me for it. But gosh knows I try. Have you ever seen those ads in the magazines for those "amazing" trees that grow 10 foot a month? I got some of those and they don't. My grass wouldn't grow so I covered the yard with shell. Then, for some mysterious reason, the grass started to grow. At least, partially. Looks really bad now. I'd go to Home Depot and buy stuff that was blooming, bring it home, plant it and PRESTO! Never blooms again. Even the neighbors' dogs won't enter my yard to poop. So, I just sit out front on that old couch, drink my beer and watch my neighbors mow and trim and do those things I'd love to do. Take my word for it, some of us have green thumbs, some don't. So, be careful.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:03 PM

2,066 posts, read 4,321,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
Try HGTV for some great tips. What style are you going for?
I'm not sure grr.
I'll check out HGTV.

I want to remove 3 of the 4 trees in the front lawn. I like grass.

I know for sure I want something that will not welcome dogs and there dirty business.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,579,235 times
Plant some cactuses that will keep the DD off the lawn.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:38 PM

200 posts, read 1,064,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
I can tell you a lot of things NOT to do. Remember the Wilkerson's yard in the TV sitcom Malcolm in the Middle? Even their yard looks better than mine. My neighbors hate me for it. But gosh knows I try. Have you ever seen those ads in the magazines for those "amazing" trees that grow 10 foot a month? I got some of those and they don't. My grass wouldn't grow so I covered the yard with shell. Then, for some mysterious reason, the grass started to grow. At least, partially. Looks really bad now. I'd go to Home Depot and buy stuff that was blooming, bring it home, plant it and PRESTO! Never blooms again. Even the neighbors' dogs won't enter my yard to poop. So, I just sit out front on that old couch, drink my beer and watch my neighbors mow and trim and do those things I'd love to do. Take my word for it, some of us have green thumbs, some don't. So, be careful.
If you put the seasonal fertilizers Home Depot tells you to, and water them just before they become crispy dry, and you don't mow too damn low (like my stupid *** neighbor who mows our common patch) in the summer and it still doesn't grow then youre totally jinxed.
I have a patch where I put a lot of little rocks as 'groundcover' and I sprayed that area with some total grass/weed killer so it was a lifeless stoney area for about 2 months. grass totally cover this area now after 6months, I cant even see the rocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston