Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,705,568 times

Advertisements

Actually, you cannot ask for Wilchester Elementary. Wilchester Elem is and has been at full capacity for a while now and cannot accept transfer students. They are really strict about this policy; no one can get past the system. It is a very desirable school, for good reason.
So Yorkshire kids have to attend Meadow Wood or private.
Someone asked about other schools that aren't so great in the area. I suggest you look up the school statistics online. Thornwood, Nottingham, Wolfe (KISD) and Meadow Wood don't have great ratings. Meadow Wood is not terrible but is considered by most area parents to be kind of "borderline". About half the school is economically disadvantaged, lots of kiddos from Kroger area apartments.
The only 2 exemplary elem schools in 77079 are Wilchester & Rummel Creek.
It's also the reason house prices are really crazy in the neighborhoods zoned to those schools. Hope this info helps. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Actually, you cannot ask for Wilchester Elementary. Wilchester Elem is and has been at full capacity for a while now and cannot accept transfer students. They are really strict about this policy; no one can get past the system. It is a very desirable school, for good reason.
So Yorkshire kids have to attend Meadow Wood or private.
Someone asked about other schools that aren't so great in the area. I suggest you look up the school statistics online. Thornwood, Nottingham, Wolfe (KISD) and Meadow Wood don't have great ratings. Meadow Wood is not terrible but is considered by most area parents to be kind of "borderline". About half the school is economically disadvantaged, lots of kiddos from Kroger area apartments.
The only 2 exemplary elem schools in 77079 are Wilchester & Rummel Creek.
It's also the reason house prices are really crazy in the neighborhoods zoned to those schools. Hope this info helps. :-)
Wow. I would have expected more from that zip. Lots of apts in that zip?

I kind of doubt we'll find anything in our price point (350k is absolute max, more like 300) zoned to Wilchester. And I know we won't for Rummel Creek.

We'd be zoned Nottingham or Wolfe most likely. I don't need a perfect school, just don't want to have to move again in a few years since that's the reason we're having to move now.

Should we just forget 77079 and concentrate on Sugar Land or out toward Katy instead?

Old 07-16-2008, 06:43 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Wow. I would have expected more from that zip. Lots of apts in that zip?

I kind of doubt we'll find anything in our price point (350k is absolute max, more like 300) zoned to Wilchester. And I know we won't for Rummel Creek.

We'd be zoned Nottingham or Wolfe most likely. I don't need a perfect school, just don't want to have to move again in a few years since that's the reason we're having to move now.

Should we just forget 77079 and concentrate on Sugar Land or out toward Katy instead?

Don't let this conversation get you down. Here's how it goes: SBISD provides the same education at every school. What differs is the diversity ratio and the parental involvement. Parents talk smack all the time about one school or another, so you really have to take these posts with a grain of salt. Memorial Elem. and Hunters Creek look down at Bunker Hill. Bunker Hill looks down Frostwood, and all those poo poo schools outside the Beltway or 77024. Wilchester and Rummel Creek look down on Meadow Wood. Meadow wood looks down on Nottingham. In the end it's rather stupid, because they all give a sound Texas public education. House location and school is a form of social standing...
It goes on in the exburban posts too, if you read them.

I mean ,think about all the people that live in Nottingham Forest that happily send their children to Meadow Wood. I don't think such a fussy group would send their children into a bad situation.

Yes, most people in Yorkshire send their kids to private. But it's because they are in a different place in life and they can. At this point I feel it's a broader liberal arts education that can provide a little more in sciences as well.

In the end, everyone in these homes are all college educated, upper manangement, living in homes starting at 350k. Apartment kids really don't affect the atmoshphere of a school at grade school level. It's gets tense in middle school, but by high school they weeded out the good from the bad kids and have them in completely different classes.

I think if you could find a home in Thornwood, zoned to Nottingham, you would find yourself in a nice situation. Building on or remodeling as you can afford it.

http://www.har.com/4736180
http://www.har.com/9202879

Keep an eye on Memorial Drive Acres, right near Kirkwood. White Wing/rancho Bauer. They've had a few of their contemporary ones come on the market lately under 300k that are selling quickly.

Also, a note. Exceptions in the past have been made for children of Yorkshire for MMS. It's three streets are the only ones zoned to the schools to the west of Kirkwod.They grow up with the kids of Wilchester, and keeping neighborhood kids together is something SBISD is willing to look at.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 07-16-2008 at 07:26 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Also, have you ever considered Spring Branch. Ie. These listings are for Valley Oaks Elem. (which has really become very good lately, Spring Branch Middle and Memorial Senior)

http://www.har.com/5691354

1714 Creek, Houston, TX 77055

Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 PM

SXRCKR:
I would look at Katy for sure. They have lots of good schools in great neighborhoods that will work for your home price range. But take a look at Meadow Wood and Nottingham Elem in 77079, take a school tour and really look at the test scores & demographics to see if it meets your needs. Maybe it will work out for you?
To EA: I’m not trying to cause a problem with this topic. Your posts are great & full of great information. I just want to share my differing point of view concerning 77079 schools.
I am heavily involved with SBISD and know these schools well. Most parents really don’t look down on the school next to theirs, I promise. I’m sure it happens some by some snotty parents, but mostly we all work together, we meet at church, baseball practice and dance classes. We all get along great and support each others schools!
Most parents desire Wilchester, Rummel Creek, Frostwood, Bunker Hill, Memorial Dr. or Hunters Creek. Meadow Wood isn’t awful, but it doesn’t score like the others mentioned. You are right that the parents of Meadow Wood students (mainly in Nottingham Forrest) are upscale folks who wouldn’t send their kids to a bad school. With that said, many of those parents would rather be in the better schools if they could afford to do so. I’ve met so many Moms in Nottingham Forrest who’ve said they wanted to be in Wilchester or Rummel Creek zones neighborhood but couldn’t find a home in their price range. I just want to help parents who can afford to spend a little more on a house & want to be in 77079 understand which schools are considered the best of the best.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
EA: thanks so much, you've been super helpful here.

Lizzy: thanks for the insight. The problem with Katy would be the commute into Houston, so we really don't want to go that way unless we have no other choice.

One other thing I'm wondering about 77079 - is there any open land left that could be developed into something undesirable? I was planning to go drive around over that way soon to take a look for things like open fields with large "for sale" signs. Maybe those of you already there may know. When I see things like that around Sugar Land or Missouri City it doesn't concern me since there's zoning, but when I see things like that in Houston it's a different story.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 PM

No land is available for sale in 77079. No fields at all. We are completely developed. So, what you see is what you get.

If you are willing to live on a REALLY busy street there is a house for sale in Wilchester for 335K. You'd have to keep your kids locked off in the back yard though. I see neighbors on Wilcrest with little kids but they have driveway gates & are just doing this for the schools.

There is a neighborhood in Katy that is really close to the 1st 1-10 exit. I think it's called Green Trails. Only about 5 extra minutes on the freeway for you. Good KISD schools & better home prices.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:22 PM

If you are willing to live on a REALLY busy street there is a house for sale in Wilchester for 335K. You'd have to keep your kids locked off in the back yard though. I see neighbors on Wilcrest with little kids but they have driveway gates & are just doing this for the schools.

I just read my post & want to make it a bit more clear. :-) The house that is for sale in Wilchester for 335K is on Wilcrest. It's a very busy street and is a major outlet to get to I-10.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 32,939 times
Default Try Nottingham West or Nottingham Forest

I wouldn't try to go to Katy--the closer in Katy schools aren't great. Wolfe is terrible and many people in Fleetwood end up sending their kids to private school. Nottingham West is zoned to Wilchester, but the homes are smaller and the neigborhood isn't quite as nice as some of the ones surrounding, like Yorkshire, Nottingham Forest, etc. Nottingham Forest is getting pricey, but it is zoned to Meadow Wood elementary. There are a few apt. kids but majority are from the neighborhood. It's an excellent school. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with 77079. There are a few apartments around Stratford High School, but since it is ranked in the top 200 high schools in the nation, all real estate zoned there is a good bet. I would stick with Rummel Creek, Wilchester, Meadow Wood, or Nottingham for elementary, though.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:02 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I have to second EA's post about going over to the other side of I-10. There are great schools over there that are in SBISD. They are more diverse, but they're still good!

These are all schools rated "Recognized or Exemplary" by TEA: Elementary School ratings 2007--PDF file
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston