U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
 
22 posts, read 65,403 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Is alief a safe place to live? How are the schools?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA
759 posts, read 3,022,572 times
Reputation: 232
No. Schools are terrible...15 years ago, it was a nice place...I was an Alief grad.
it has taken a turn for the worse.

what you need to know about Alief:
Houston Schools - Houston Schools Search, Houston School rankings and comparisons

You can view individual schools too. Alief has been hit with a growing crime due to the many cheap apartments in the location and influx of the non English speaking immigrant population in recent years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:01 AM
 
200 posts, read 1,023,980 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher5 View Post
Is alief a safe place to live? How are the schools?
Alief is like the Queens, NYC of Houston. Is it safe, definitely not the safest Houston offers and you have to buy into the more expensive and gated subdivisions just north of westpark tollway or closer to highway 6.
schools are mostly attended by lower class people. I think only Kerr High makes it in list of good schools. I believe this is where most of the asians go.
I live in Alief and willing to send my child to school here but of course I'm not exactly comfortable with it going into the other highschools here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA
759 posts, read 3,022,572 times
Reputation: 232
I was thinking more like Compton + East LA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
 
Location: The Lone Star State
8,030 posts, read 8,320,987 times
Reputation: 5046
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...come-back.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:39 AM
 
200 posts, read 1,023,980 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I was thinking more like Compton + East LA
I had to factor in the 'chinatown' (Flushings, Queens)

You're probably refering to Sharpstown, not Alief.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX, USA
759 posts, read 3,022,572 times
Reputation: 232
I lived in Alief for a long time...before escaping
take a look at areas near either Hastings HS, Elsik HS. or the areas on beechnut, High Star, etc. that is not shaprstown. Also the appartments on bissonet west of beltway 8 to cook road...these are all rough areas with lots of gangs and crime!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
I had to factor in the 'chinatown' (Flushings, Queens)

You're probably refering to Sharpstown, not Alief.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 10:34 AM
 
200 posts, read 1,023,980 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
I lived in Alief for a long time...before escaping
take a look at areas near either Hastings HS, Elsik HS. or the areas on beechnut, High Star, etc. that is not shaprstown. Also the appartments on bissonet west of beltway 8 to cook road...these are all rough areas with lots of gangs and crime!
Escape to Sugarland? Typical That could be your life's achievement

I live near Hastings. I should invite you to come and take a look but leave the whole masterplan living behind for a while, if you can. just expect simpler people living near the highway to get to work
There is a trailer park area near Elsik, my sister is scared of it but I don't see an issue with it. It's an american way of life for some. (my sister has that keeping up with the joneses in the upper middleclass areas outlook in life while I'm from NJ/NYC and seen it all). There are a lots of auto related businesses, well thats Tex-Mex for ya. Leewood forest is another starter home subdivision. The people look ok to me, yards are all kept well IMO. It's only recently that Alief has been getting 2-story homes really so its just starting to get people in the professional field and local business owners.
Beechnut/Bissonett is the border for me, I know of the bad and really fugly areas over there, I dont see much good future for the areas too far from Bellaire really. There's way too many apartments over there and the stripmalls are just a mess, I feel sorry for the homeowners.
If i'm going to send a kid to school or have a relative to teach I'll suggest going to those schools north of the tollway. People are a lot less ghetto over there and the surroundings/apartment are so much better
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
 
443 posts, read 1,509,625 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayato View Post
Alief is like the Queens, NYC of Houston. Is it safe, definitely not the safest Houston offers and you have to buy into the more expensive and gated subdivisions just north of westpark tollway or closer to highway 6.
schools are mostly attended by lower class people. I think only Kerr High makes it in list of good schools. I believe this is where most of the asians go.
I live in Alief and willing to send my child to school here but of course I'm not exactly comfortable with it going into the other highschools here
Queens, NYC, have you ever lived there, Queens is very broad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2008, 12:44 PM
 
200 posts, read 1,023,980 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
Queens, NYC, have you ever lived there, Queens is very broad.
Yes. Astoria and Jackson Heights. broad is the general idea. everyone is here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:29 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top