Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
There is no Houston vs. Dallas rivalry other than that attempted to be created by some few people on this message forum. If you have nothing to be proud of in your life beyond what city that you happen to live in then I propose you examine said life and maybe make some changes.
Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 PM

756 posts, read 1,881,916 times
It's all in good fun. There's really not a big difference between the two, except dallas needs fort worth to be a big city.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 AM

157 posts, read 316,657 times
Default I agree totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
I've been reading these boards for a quite a while now and there seems to be a recurring theme:

Houston posters seem almost obsessed with the whole Houston v. Dallas thing while Dallas posters don't really seem to buy into the rivalry that much.

Every time I've visited my good friend in Houston I've had a great time. Great people. Great food. Great skyline and downtown. Great stuff to do.

It's almost as if there is an unjustified inferiority complex at work here. Thoughts?

Calvin
I'm from West Texas (Big Spring out near Midland) and don't really have a dog in this fight but I totally agree with your observation. It's absolutely bizzare to me how the folks down in Houston seem so obsessed to impress others about their town even to the point of running down other places (like Dallas). For whatever reason the Dallas folks seem more comfortable with themselves and respectful of other communities. I think most of us in West Texas identify with Dallas and don't feel much in common with Houston. We tend to be more comfortable in our own skin.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Thanks for showing the usual lack of class we come to expect from the folks down there.
I'm not even gonna say anything...whether truth or stereotype.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I'm not even gonna say anything...whether truth or stereotype.
That's up to you sir. It's interesting to me how folks that so frequently dose out condescending comments about other communities and their residents and then get called out on it always seem to whine about their feelings are being hurt. I never see them man up and just say they made a mistake and admit it. We call that character here in West Texas.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM

756 posts, read 1,881,916 times
Quote:
That's up to you sir. It's interesting to me how folks that so frequently dose out condescending comments about other communities and their residents and then get called out on it always seem to whine about their feelings are being hurt. I never see them man up and just say they made a mistake and admit it. We call that character here in West Texas.

OK, you're right. Dallas has about 100K-200K more people than Austin in their city limits. Clearly, Fort Worth contributes nothing to the metro area. Hope you feel better. Want any french cries with your whine out there in Weeeeeest Tixus? West Texas, isn't that GWB country?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,654 times
Quote:
I'm from West Texas (Big Spring out near Midland) and don't really have a dog in this fight but I totally agree with your observation. It's absolutely bizzare to me how the folks down in Houston seem so obsessed to impress others about their town even to the point of running down other places (like Dallas). For whatever reason the Dallas folks seem more comfortable with themselves and respectful of other communities. I think most of us in West Texas identify with Dallas and don't feel much in common with Houston. We tend to be more comfortable in our own skin.
Quote:
Thanks for showing the usual lack of class we come to expect from the folks down there.
I'm confused.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,162 times
Quote:
Thanks coog78 for helping me make my point. It's almost as if you WANT to look foolish.

Funny thing is that coog is right though.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Funny thing is that coog is right though.
Coog is right that Houston has more people than Dallas. So what? Beijing has more people than Houston - do you want to live there? Like most people around the country I look at Dallas/Fort Worth area as quality and Houston as quantity. I think you folks in Houston are your own worst enemies for selling your town. The very best thing you could do is be silent.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,543,784 times
My inferiority complex is bigger than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston