Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times

Advertisements

Houston was recently named the 7th sweatiest city in the U.S. (by OldSpice deodorant). Rankings were based on computer simulations of the amount of sweat a person of average height and weight would produce walking around for an hour in average temps. during June, July and August.

1. Phoenix
2. Las Vegas
3. Tallahassee, Fla
4. Tucson, Az
5. Memphis, Tenn
6. Miami
7. Houston
8. Tampa, Fl
9. Baton Rouge, La
10. Fort Meyers, Fl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:59 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Where is New Orleans?

Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I guess that shoots to hell the old excuse/theory that Las Vegas and Phoenix is "just a dry heat" since these 2 are number 1 and 2.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I sweat more here than Miami.
Period.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,005 times
I just got back from Vegas. They actually had lower than average humidity while I was there. The heat was getting up to 103-106, which isn't all that bad for Vegas, but it was about half the humidity it normally was.

Normally Vegas heat doesn't bother me that much, but it was SO dry this last trip that it just drained you walking outside. It was actually a strange feeling to feel the perspiration instantly evaporating when you walked outside off your skin. I had never felt it like that before.

I woke up every morning with dry eyes, throat, and sinuses and probably had to drink 3 glasses of water every morning just to even out.

I was extremely welcoming to come back to the humidity when we flew back.

Of my six trips to Vegas, this was by far the worst for heat/dryness. We went 3 years ago when they had their hottest summer in recorded history, it was up over 120 some days that time, it just baked you, but it didn't suck the energy out of you like it did this time.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:08 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
Here's the link

http://www.oldspice.com/pdfs/OS_Sweatiest_Cities_2008.pdf (broken link)

I lived in New Orleans for 43 years and Houston these past three. The actual temperature gets hotter over here, but the humidity in New Orleans makes it feel much worse. Although it is humid in Houston, my hair is a testament that it is drier than in New Orleans - my straight-as-a-stick hair never looked good at a long length when I lived in N.O. - limp and no body unless I kept it relatively short. I have been able to grow my hair well below my shoulders in Houston and it has so much body. Who cares if I'm a 46-year old with long hair!? I'm loving it for a change!

And I agree with supermac - i much prefer some humidity to none. My skin always feels and looks too dry in a dry climate.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I'll take the humidity of Houston any day over the dryness of Vegas. We too, just got back from a trip into Utah and Vegas. I have never had so many bloody noses! At first, it scared me, but I'm told this is normal for those not use to the arid air. I also never felt so much like a reptile....Dry skin! Used lots of moisturizer for sure! Bring on the Houston moisture any time!

Old 07-14-2008, 05:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I just got back from Vegas. They actually had lower than average humidity while I was there. The heat was getting up to 103-106, which isn't all that bad for Vegas, but it was about half the humidity it normally was.

Normally Vegas heat doesn't bother me that much, but it was SO dry this last trip that it just drained you walking outside. It was actually a strange feeling to feel the perspiration instantly evaporating when you walked outside off your skin. I had never felt it like that before.

I woke up every morning with dry eyes, throat, and sinuses and probably had to drink 3 glasses of water every morning just to even out.

I was extremely welcoming to come back to the humidity when we flew back.

Of my six trips to Vegas, this was by far the worst for heat/dryness. We went 3 years ago when they had their hottest summer in recorded history, it was up over 120 some days that time, it just baked you, but it didn't suck the energy out of you like it did this time.

When were you here? When did you see 103-106? For the past 3 weeks it has been from 116 to 118. The past 4 days were about 105 or so with clouds, another very very rare sight.

Yes having your sweat dry before you even feel like your sweating is the reason many people suffer from dehydration. They dont know they are sweating because their skin is dry.

I dont care how dry it is, once it starts getting near 120, hot is hot is hot.

The couple posts above this and below yours likes the humidity better. I do too. But from the thread a couple weeks ago right here, the sentiment
was not the same.

True one gets dry skin and bloody noses here from the dryness. Cant wait to get the hell outta this crime infested cesspool. Counting down the weeks.....

Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 PM

44 posts, read 153,083 times
There is no way you sweat more in Miami than Houston. I am from the Miami area and it is musch worse in Houston. At least Miami has a nice ocean breeze that keeps things relatively pleasant.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,269,365 times
I was in Las Vegas in 06 and it was too damn hot. That sun beats down on you hard and the air feels like a 100 degree oven. It was miserable. And Houston gets such a bad rap for its heat?

I guess people excuse a city for being what it is when it has all the attractions that Vegas has.

PS: To the last poster, Houston feels more like a "dryer heat" when you compare it to Miami. Sure Houston might be a little hotter by about 5 degrees in the summer, but the trade off is Houston gets colder winters than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: