Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM

2,536 posts, read 4,011,688 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am wondering about gated communities. Obviously, they are gated to add a level of security. My question is, is there really any added security, or could someone easily get in if they were intent on doing so?

Gated communities typically have higher HOA dues, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I'm not really interested in general opinions regarding the merits or flaws of suburban life, so please save those for another thread...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:29 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
Well, they keep the graffiti artists, solicitors, car vandals and lookie-loos out. If someone really wants in, they will get in. But in general, criminals are lazy and would rather find an easy gig than a gated community.

Con would be that they're usually isolated off a busy road somewhere. Not a great situation if you like walking.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,092,043 times
just think of when you were just learning how to drive. I bet you never practiced (on people) within a gated community. now think of other types of drivers out there, just wandering about. teens who have nothing to do or testing their driving prowess. also old folks kinda losing their concentration, that woman who just arrived in the US and don't realize kids here are not really that aware of their surroundings etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 4,011,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
just think of when you were just learning how to drive. I bet you never practiced (on people) within a gated community. now think of other types of drivers out there, just wandering about. teens who have nothing to do or testing their driving prowess. also old folks kinda losing their concentration, that woman who just arrived in the US and don't realize kids here are not really that aware of their surroundings etc.
I'm not sure I follow your logic... are you suggesting that these various types of bad drivers don't ever live in gated communities? Or bored teenagers? Or old people? I find that very hard to believe.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I'm not sure I follow your logic... are you suggesting that these various types of bad drivers don't ever live in gated communities? Or bored teenagers? Or old people? I find that very hard to believe.
ah yes they do, they might. if 1 of them drive/live in the same gated neighborhood, just outside the gates 100x that drive there. Thats the difference. Then again one would know the community-bad-driver, they drive the same streets everyday and familiar with whats going on, can be reported to the HOA and cares a little bit more than total strangers. can you report bored teenagers if you dont know where they came from or who their parents are? teenager behave differently if they know they can get busted
Logic is meant to be simple. Probabilities, stats should help things make sense.
I suggest you find 2 houston city communities side by side, one with a gate and one with out, then check out houstoncrimemaps and see the difference. you can try to ignore what other people can think of to out smart the gate and see what does happen in real life.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,371,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
ah yes they do, they might. if 1 of them drive/live in the same gated neighborhood, just outside the gates 100x that drive there. Thats the difference. Then again one would know the community-bad-driver, they drive the same streets everyday and familiar with whats going on, can be reported to the HOA and cares a little bit more than total strangers. can you report bored teenagers if you dont know where they came from or who their parents are? teenager behave differently if they know they can get busted
Logic is meant to be simple. Probabilities, stats should help things make sense.
I suggest you find 2 houston city communities side by side, one with a gate and one with out, then check out houstoncrimemaps and see the difference. you can try to ignore what other people can think of to out smart the gate and see what does happen in real life.
ie Alief and Royal Oaks.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
ie Alief and Royal Oaks.
I'm gated in Alief, missy. We'd go head to head with Royak Oaks anyday! in fact let me check, you got me curious

Old 07-16-2008, 02:06 PM

thats one of maybe 2-3 auto related theft/burglary within a year (out of thousands of incidents in the HPD beat)
my gated community south of the parkway... zero auto related theft/burglary (out of thousands of incidents in the HPD beat). of course, we do not have expensive stuff in the cars to steal or have hired help to do the inside jobs

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 07-16-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 PM

960 posts, read 2,736,580 times
Well, if you live in a working gated community, then I guess you won't be needing to add burglar bars around your house.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Well, if you live in a working gated community, then I guess you won't be needing to add burglar bars around your house.
doubling up on deterrents would still be a good idea. those moats/'lakes' around the communities works pretty well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston