Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 AM

31 posts, read 86,895 times

Advertisements

This whole increase of crime in Pearland thing is a myth, it remains a low crimw area and let that be clear. I lived in New York and you cant walk for five minutes without being asked for money that is NOT crime.

People exploring from out of state should not be dettered a drop by this talk.

Pearland is a safe, low crime area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 10:52 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
The people I work with aren't concerned about being asked for money -- they work downtown so they are used to that. One was robbed at gunpoint for her DOG, no less. Some sort of puppy she had in one of those little carrier things. I'm sure it does overall remain relatively low crime, I grew up there so I have watched it go from NO crime to low crime on the increase so I wouldn't say an increase is a myth. But I find that the majority of incidents are centered in the areas with easy access to highway 288 - which is how most crime is even in other nices areas - easy access to and from makes it desirable for quick getaways. I think you just have to be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you are and not put yourself into an opportunistic setting.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Have two co-workers in the 288/518 area - they don't feel comfortable at the HEB - and both said rather than fight the crowds on 518 and the sometimes unsavory persons that they'd rather just hop on the freeway and hit the Galleria rather than the new outdoor shopping mall. I was rather surprised to hear that.
I'm sorry but I find that laughable..... I shop there all the time and have never felt unsafe.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,323,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
I'm sorry but I find that laughable..... I shop there all the time and have never felt unsafe.
I read that too, and thought, "huh???"
What, did sometime try to take their shopping cart?

I never feel unsafe in that area. Now, traffic congestion at Hwy288/FM518 is another issue. That's a disaster in development.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 PM

44 posts, read 157,124 times
Check Houston Crime Map: Houston Crime Maps | ZIP Code | 77584

Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 AM

564 posts, read 2,045,034 times
I could see theft of construction materials and equipment being on the rise in Pearland, due to all the activity and all the opportunities available for a prospective construction thief.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideo View Post
Check Houston Crime Map: Houston Crime Maps | ZIP Code | 77584
FYI these maps/stats are only reliable (to a degree) with Houston PD cases. I confirmed with some co-workers that they do encounter/hear more crime than whats shown(or not shown) in these websites for areas outside greater houston.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post

Depends on time of day I guess. That Super Wal-mart gets pretty dicey after dark.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:00 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Depends on time of day I guess. That Super Wal-mart gets pretty dicey after dark.
Well I agree with u on Walmart....it is downright scary after dark. I rarely shop there, and when I do it is early in the mornings during the week...

Old 08-25-2008, 09:44 PM

6 posts, read 17,551 times
I grew up in Pearland and now have my own family settled here in Shadow Creek Ranch (518/288). I love SCR. But I hate all of the 'unsavories' that surround us... Missouri City/Stafford to the west, Hobby area residents to the north, Cullen residents to the East. And Silverlake? Don't get me started. It's a haven for Katrina's victims. I feel very unsafe shopping in Silverlake. Wal-Mart? My husband doesn't like me going at all...with or without him, no matter the time of day. AND I LIVE JUST 2 MILES FROM A STORE THAT I WOULDN'T SHOP IN FOR FEAR OF BEING A VICTIM OF CRIME--OR AT LEAST RACISM! I now hate it here. We are so bummed because we really do love SCR, and we have awesome neighbors. But I would have never imagined that when we were buying a home in Pearland that we should have done a better job checking out the surrounding areas. I'm really, really disappointed. To be honest, I haven't heard of any recent criminal activity. I did hear about the pregnant lady at Target who almost got carjacked. There was a couple in my neighborhood that were forced into their car by gunmen so they could make them withdraw money at the ATM. The house at the front of our neighborhood (which was/maybe still is owned by Willie Tavaris) was broken into. Several vehicles in my subdivision were vandalized, including the garage door openers being stolen from the vehicles. That stuff is just on the west side. I've really plugged my ears to any more crime. I feel bad raising my girls here. I get nervous when someone knock on the door and my husband is not home. And I am NOT typically a worrywart. I'm the girl that never locks the door usually. When the economy improves, and the housing slump improves, we will be one of the first out of here.

Oh, and I LOVE MY HEB! But honestly, I felt I was a victim of racism there last night (I am white). That has never happened to me there before. I just feel icky about it, ya know?

Anyway, I know this thread was about crime, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents on the whole feeling of the area.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston