Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,470,036 times

Advertisements

My sister-in-law lives in Pearland and has a couple of sons at PS. It's a great school according to them. I've been in the school myself and at least superficially seems very quiet and well-run with good kids. They play Alvin in football. Pearland rules at least in that regard. The whole family really loves Pearland and they live in the old city town part , not in the sparkling new subdivisions by the 288 you're talking about with the mini-mansions, lakes, and fountains. I'd stick to Pearland vs Manvil or Rosharon. They're OK but more the kind of places for setting up your machine shop in the spacious backyard, keeping a couple of rabbit hutches or storing the old cars your working on to seel for a profit and the neighborhood committee won't nail you for deed restrictions.

BTW, geesh TIMnWendy you're just way off base about a Park n Ride. I live near a park and ride (Belfort) and it's nothing but a blessing. Lots of folks in Pearland will be thrilled not having to sit in a parking lot on the 288 in their private cars (and putting wear and tear on them) but can ride in a luxury bus with reclining seats while reading the paper or getting a headstart on work downtown or the Med Center on their laptops. I'm curious, what is your reasoning for why it could possibly be a malevolent influence or "mixed-blessing"? Let me guess.

Last edited by bamba_boy; 04-01-2010 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 PM

201 posts, read 912,223 times
Shadow Creek Ranch, Silverlake, and Silvercreek should be on your short list. Silverlake is the least expensive but the homes are a little older on average. I like Silvercreek but I wouldn't want to live too close to the apartments on its west side. In Shadow Creek Ranch, I would stay east of Kingsley. The west side is Fort Bend ISD and the east side is Alvin ISD, which is supposedly better.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:35 AM

480 posts, read 1,692,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
BTW, geesh TIMnWendy you're just way off base about a Park n Ride. I live near a park and ride (Belfort) and it's nothing but a blessing. Lots of folks in Pearland will be thrilled not having to sit in a parking lot on the 288 in their private cars (and putting wear and tear on them) but can ride in a luxury bus with reclining seats while reading the paper or getting a headstart on work downtown or the Med Center on their laptops. I'm curious, what is your reasoning for why it could possibly be a malevolent influence or "mixed-blessing"? Let me guess.
Ok, here is why I say that:

1. Traffic to/from the P&R will get worse on CR 59, which has not been expanded as west Pearland has grown and is already a mess.
2. Traffic will get worse at the intersection of CR 59 and 288, which is already heavy.
3. Some residents will have noise and smell pollution from the 750 car parking lot at the P&R.
4. It's a known fact that P&Rs attract some types of crimes, especially car burglaries, and some of that could spill over into Southfork or Southgate. Thwarting this crime could be difficult when you consider anything south of CR 59 is not covered by the Pearland PD, but rather Brazoria Co. Sheriff's dept.
5. Metro has not committed to any bus lines to this P&R, and may never do so, because it's not inside Metro's coverage. Bus lines may need to come from private companies, or simply be car/van pools. The full benefit of this P&R will never happen until some kind of big-bus direct routes are established going to/from the med center, and to/from downtown.
6. Expansion of Hwy 288 is waayyy behind growing use. Until 288 is expanded, this P&R will have little affect on alleviating traffic jams on 288.

The way I see it, the real positivies of this P&R can't be realized for nearby residents until much later, and only if events unfold a certain way. Where as the negatives are going to start as soon as construction begins.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:28 AM

1,190 posts, read 3,470,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Ok, here is why I say that:

1. Traffic to/from the P&R will get worse on CR 59, which has not been expanded as west Pearland has grown and is already a mess.
2. Traffic will get worse at the intersection of CR 59 and 288, which is already heavy.
3. Some residents will have noise and smell pollution from the 750 car parking lot at the P&R.
4. It's a known fact that P&Rs attract some types of crimes, especially car burglaries, and some of that could spill over into Southfork or Southgate. Thwarting this crime could be difficult when you consider anything south of CR 59 is not covered by the Pearland PD, but rather Brazoria Co. Sheriff's dept.
5. Metro has not committed to any bus lines to this P&R, and may never do so, because it's not inside Metro's coverage. Bus lines may need to come from private companies, or simply be car/van pools. The full benefit of this P&R will never happen until some kind of big-bus direct routes are established going to/from the med center, and to/from downtown.
6. Expansion of Hwy 288 is waayyy behind growing use. Until 288 is expanded, this P&R will have little affect on alleviating traffic jams on 288.

The way I see it, the real positivies of this P&R can't be realized for nearby residents until much later, and only if events unfold a certain way. Where as the negatives are going to start as soon as construction begins.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

You DO bring up some good points that I hadn't thought of. For instance, my Belfort Park and Ride has several feeder bus routes keeping down the shear # of cars in the lot and coming in and out. The E/W major roads in Pearland, which are few, leading to the 288 are super-congested already. On the + side, I read in some of the preliminary info on the proposed PnR that its construction would probably coincide with a new HOV dedicated lane. One without the other would be a mistake. You'd lose a lot of the benefit of a quicker commute and ability to draw people out of their cars.

Thanks for the well-thought out position. Don't always get that here!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,510 times
Southfork is receiving negative comments because of the number of foreclosures that hit that area. The underlying issue is that people bought houses that they could not afford, and the declining economy only added to it.

It is difficult to penalize a community because of the bad judgement of the homeowner's for buying something that they never should have bought in the first place. There are some really big houses in that community, and as perception goes it looks like they are back to building in that area.

i will add that the Cervelle homes are terrible. The designs are lacking vision and they are overpriced. Anyone buying a house from that builder, ask yourself why.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,799,903 times
I hope it happens, but I am not holding my breath. I also think rail would make more sense. They could use the median of 288 for rail which would be sensible.

Dorothy

Old 04-05-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 5,455 times
I live in a Cervelle Home and could not be happier! We had our home built from the ground up. It's 3500 sq ft, hardwood floors, granite countertops and many many more upgrades. We have friends who live in Royal Oaks, and paid 500,000 for a much smaller house, with less upgrades! I paid 280K for mine.

I also work for a construction company, and had our inspectors and engineers out there weekly to check up on the build! Not a single issue! And my guys were impressed with the construction! As for the sales person....please remember he has to deal with many many people who are basically wasting his time. He was a great guy to work with and was always willing to answer e-mails or phone calls! And still is today if I ever need him!

The foreclosures in the neighborhood, are Royce homes that were left unfinished when Royce went bankrupt! Overall, I am very pleased with Southfork! I have awesome neighbors and love the diversity...there is no minority...Asian, White, Black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern and all get along quite well and look out for each other.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM

4 posts, read 23,765 times
Default It all comes down to taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwandlivvyzmom View Post
I live in a Cervelle Home and could not be happier! We had our home built from the ground up. It's 3500 sq ft, hardwood floors, granite countertops and many many more upgrades. We have friends who live in Royal Oaks, and paid 500,000 for a much smaller house, with less upgrades! I paid 280K for mine.

I also work for a construction company, and had our inspectors and engineers out there weekly to check up on the build! Not a single issue! And my guys were impressed with the construction! As for the sales person....please remember he has to deal with many many people who are basically wasting his time. He was a great guy to work with and was always willing to answer e-mails or phone calls! And still is today if I ever need him!

The foreclosures in the neighborhood, are Royce homes that were left unfinished when Royce went bankrupt! Overall, I am very pleased with Southfork! I have awesome neighbors and love the diversity...there is no minority...Asian, White, Black, Hispanic, Middle Eastern and all get along quite well and look out for each other.
As an owner of a Cervelle-built home I couldn't agree more. I can understand the negative comments about curb appeal because Cervelle doesn't put a lot of money into creating landscapes that the new home owners are going to change anyway. But the design and construction of my home is way beyond my expectations.

I've been reporting on the Real Estate industry for 20 years. I've bought and sold homes in four states and worked with builders and Realtors on a regular basis. I'm not classifying myself as an expert (although I am licensed) but I do know a good builder from one with questionable practices. There is not a single Cervelle home in Southfork or any other of their developments that has homes in foreclosure that have never been owner-occupied. So you can't blame Royce's bad lending practices on Cervelle.

That said, I'm not happy about KB homes completing the rest of the Southfork development. I really don't like the design of their homes and I don't feel they fit in with the rest of Southfork at all. That said, the way the phases are laid out, I'm not worried about home values because Phase III is so isolated from where KB is building.

Lastly, I am really glad the park and ride is being developed where it is. The intersection of 288 and CR 59 is not a busy intersection but there will need to be more development there to accommodate a P&R. The fact that the P&R is on the northwest corner makes it in Pearland so the city will patrol it. (I'm still confused why Southfork was annexed by Manvel instead of Pearland but at the rate the area is growing, I'm not concerned about SO vs PPD coverage). The P&R can't add any more noise than 288 already does. I think Southgate will be more affected than Southfork but that all depends on the design of the P&R.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 5,342 times
I live in Southgate and love my Cerville home. You should have seen the roofs in Southfork and other neighborhoods (although the older neighborhoods likely needed new roofs) after the hurricane. Plus the builder came and fixed any shingles that may have come off. Like the previous lister, big house for the money and very nice neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM

156 posts, read 468,040 times
I was really impressed with the Cervelle Model Homes I saw today. I was hoping to get in on Phase 3 near the tail end since my sons are in Dawson HS. But, after what I saw today...I don't know if I can keep em in Dawson...beautiful homes, well thought out, even the garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston