Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

I like in Southwyck and frankly we could not ask for a nicer and friendlier community. Depending on where you buy, you will either be in the city limits or in one of the MUDS in Brazoria county (they are likely to be annexed into Pearland eventually).

Things we like:
Elementary schools here are excellent - Silvercrest, Silverlake and Massey Ranch all do a great job at that level. My grandchildren are young so we have not really looked at the high schools yet.
Neighbors - wonderful, caring people. The kids play outside after school. The moms often sit outside. My dil had no problems making friends when she moved here despite our northern roots and difference in religion and culture.

Things we dislike
The weather - Houston in general is too hot and humid, but that may not bother you if you are already in the south.
The lack of transportation - I am actually *for* that park and ride. I hate that I cannot get anywhere without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,724 times
How bizarre that honeyinhouston doesn't like Cervelle but doesn't post why they don't like them. I have lived in a Cervelle home for the past six years and have NEVER had a problem with my home. I remember after Hurricane Ike, driving through Silverlake, and sister neighborhoods (Shadow Creek, etc), and seeing numerous 'blue roofs' throughout, but I never once saw a blue roof on a Cervelle home. If you want to believe an anonymous post by someone that may have a different agenda, then you may be losing out. Do your own due diligence!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 PM

356 posts, read 916,523 times
The majority of posts in favor of Cervelle are from first-time posters. Kind of makes you wonder.....

Old 11-19-2010, 04:29 AM

4 posts, read 23,802 times
Default New development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
The majority of posts in favor of Cervelle are from first-time posters. Kind of makes you wonder.....
Cervelle is the new primary builder in SouthFork which is a new development. It makes sense that the people that have purchased in SouthFork are first-time posters because until they moved into the neighborhood they wouldn't have been interested in this subject.

I've been in my house for 14 months now and I only have one regret. ... I should have insisted that Cervelle do the gutters because the roof lines on my model are very dramatic and the rain run-off has to be addressed. So I spent $2,900 on GutterMax. They are worth it and I'm happier than I would have been than with standard gutters but I wish I had rolled that cost into the home purchase.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybeeme View Post
How bizarre that honeyinhouston doesn't like Cervelle but doesn't post why they don't like them. I have lived in a Cervelle home for the past six years and have NEVER had a problem with my home. I remember after Hurricane Ike, driving through Silverlake, and sister neighborhoods (Shadow Creek, etc), and seeing numerous 'blue roofs' throughout, but I never once saw a blue roof on a Cervelle home. If you want to believe an anonymous post by someone that may have a different agenda, then you may be losing out. Do your own due diligence!
What planet do you live on? Over 1/3 of the homes in that area had blue roofs. You do not now, nor have you ever, lived in a Cervelle home in that neighborhood. WTF are your resurrecting such an old thread for anyway? Oh, I know...you work for Cervelle?

Cervelle makes an acceptable, tidy, non-descript home that's worth the price and that's it.

Ronnie

Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromed28 View Post
Cervelle is the new primary builder in SouthFork which is a new development. It makes sense that the people that have purchased in SouthFork are first-time posters because until they moved into the neighborhood they wouldn't have been interested in this subject.

I've been in my house for 14 months now and I only have one regret. ... I should have insisted that Cervelle do the gutters because the roof lines on my model are very dramatic and the rain run-off has to be addressed. So I spent $2,900 on GutterMax. They are worth it and I'm happier than I would have been than with standard gutters but I wish I had rolled that cost into the home purchase.
I call bull$hit. That first time poster had to search long and hard for an 18 month old dinosaur thread about Cervelle in order to post that tripe.

Shame on both of you.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
Default Southfork/Manvel area

I know the original post is pretty outdated but...

I'm glad that I found this forum! We are a young couple w/ 8 &9 yr. old sons looking to relocate. We are considering Manvel, specifically the Southfork and Cervelle homes because we like the detached garage options they offer. I know that sounds crazy but the garage is an important area for our family... But I just went into the City of Manvel demographies and am a bit concerned about the "Toxic areas" and "Air Quality" numbers in red. Does anyone have any clue what "toxic sites" that are of concern?

Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM

480 posts, read 1,698,248 times
If you are coming to the live in the greater Houston area, you are going to find relatively the same 'indexes' for Toxicity and Air Quality as that chart shows on the city of Manvel website. I wouldn't worry about those indexes too much. The main thing is do your homework about the immediate vicinity around your potential homesite (e.g., 1-2 mile radius). And do it before you make an offer.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:50 PM

4 posts, read 23,802 times
I have to agree with TimnWendy.

I have to honestly say I never even thought about the Air Quality issue. The southern part of Houston is home to more manufacturing - although it seems to me Northern Brazoria seem to be devoid of such - but the Air Quality reports I've seen suggest that Manvel has a better air quality than the state average. But I have no idea about the toxicity charts.

If Air Quality is an issue for you, I'd suggest northern Houston. The Woodlands and the like would be a better choice.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Default Southfork Development

We live in Southfork and the homes are quite nice. I do not like the development because the houses are shoulder-to-shoulder, as most houses in developments are these days. We were excited about moving to TX because we are conservative Catholics, but I'm finding that this part of the state is quite liberal. It seems once neighbors and "friends" find out our political beliefs they are not so interested anymore. I couldn't care less, but we have a five year old son and I worry about how it will affect him when he gets a little older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston