Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 25,404 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Champions area and I wonder if there is any shopping around where I would pay less than the 8.25% sales tax. Is there any sales tax on internet shopping in Houston? Your advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 02:45 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,033 times
When your purchase your item on line and if the retailer is out of the state of Texas, there shouldn't be a sale tax involved.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:08 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Actually, I recently learned that surprisingly, if you shop online and the retailer does not have a physical "presence" in Texas, and does not collect sales tax for Texas, the buyer is technically supposed to submt a "use fee" to the state of Texas. I don't think most people are even aware of this. I think some of the laws regarding internet shopping are likely to change in the next few years. Personally, I think the merchant should always be required to collect the sales tax or the sales tax should be abolished on internet shopping altogether.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:17 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Actually, I recently learned that surprisingly, if you shop online and the retailer does not have a physical "presence" in Texas, and does not collect sales tax for Texas, the buyer is technically supposed to submt a "use fee" to the state of Texas. I don't think most people are even aware of this. I think some of the laws regarding internet shopping are likely to change in the next few years. Personally, I think the merchant should always be required to collect the sales tax or the sales tax should be abolished on internet shopping altogether.
Hell no you don't have to pay sales tax on an out of state item over the net. Are you crazy? Only if it comes from anywhere in Texas are you required to pay sales tax plus shipping costs.

Kinda reminds me of how most people tip a waiter, waitress, or bar tender on the total taxed amount of the bill. You're not supposed to do it that way. 10% if service was just fair, 15% if it was average, 20% & higher if it was excellent.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:32 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Porter has 7.25% tax rate but it is a 35-45 min drive from you.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Hell no you don't have to pay sales tax on an out of state item over the net. Are you crazy? Only if it comes from anywhere in Texas are you required to pay sales tax plus shipping costs.
Completely false. Merchants without a "presence" in the state are not required to collect the sales tax due but the state imposes an equivalent "use tax" on the purchaser. Few buyers voluntarily report and pay this, and enforcement is difficult and seldom done at the individual level, but that does not change the legality.

See the Texas Administrative Code.

TITLE 34 PUBLIC FINANCE
PART 1 COMPTROLLER OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS
CHAPTER 3 TAX ADMINISTRATION
SUBCHAPTER O STATE SALES AND USE TAX
RULE §3.346

(3) Use tax--A nonrecurring tax, complementary to the sales tax, which is imposed on the exercise or enjoyment of any right or power over taxable items incident to the ownership, possession, or custody of that item. (b) Imposition of the use tax.

(1) Out-of-state purchases and direct payment permit purchases.
(A) If taxable items are purchased out of state for use in Texas and are brought or shipped into Texas for storage, use, or consumption, use tax is due.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newinhouston View Post
Just moved to Champions area and I wonder if there is any shopping around where I would pay less than the 8.25% sales tax. Is there any sales tax on internet shopping in Houston? Your advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
State sales tax is 6.25%. Metropolitan transit agencies are allowed to add an additional 1%, and local authorities are allowed to additional taxes but the total tax is capped at 8.25%.

If you want a lower tax rate you'll have to shop outside of a metropolitan area where there are transit agencies and aggressive local taxing authorities.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:21 PM

214 posts, read 725,059 times
My home in Tomball is 7.25

Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverTodd62 View Post
Completely false. Merchants without a "presence" in the state are not required to collect the sales tax due but the state imposes an equivalent "use tax" on the purchaser. Few buyers voluntarily report and pay this, and enforcement is difficult and seldom done at the individual level, but that does not change the legality.

See the Texas Administrative Code.

TITLE 34 PUBLIC FINANCE
PART 1 COMPTROLLER OF PUBLIC ACCOUNTS
CHAPTER 3 TAX ADMINISTRATION
SUBCHAPTER O STATE SALES AND USE TAX
RULE §3.346

(3) Use tax--A nonrecurring tax, complementary to the sales tax, which is imposed on the exercise or enjoyment of any right or power over taxable items incident to the ownership, possession, or custody of that item. (b) Imposition of the use tax.

(1) Out-of-state purchases and direct payment permit purchases.
(A) If taxable items are purchased out of state for use in Texas and are brought or shipped into Texas for storage, use, or consumption, use tax is due.
Exactly. I was surprised to recently learn about this "use tax" too, but apparently that's how it is.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
I wish they would inforce the sales tax for internet purchases. I hate taxes but it would sure help the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: