Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:59 PM

22 posts, read 171,067 times

Advertisements

Stonebridge is an excellent community and should not be affected by the landfill. I would advise against the back lots of Shadow Creek Ranch as that will be the area at risk to be affected. As for builders, Westin Homes is a great builder. They tend to go above and beyond the building requirements with their homes which creates a long lasting value and makes the difference when your home withstands a strong hurricane and, heaven forbid, your neighbors are knocking on your door asking to ride the storm out with you because their home didn't. Westin Homes is not a national builder, they started in 1994 and build in about 15 active communities in and around Houston. They are one of the few builder's homes that I have inspected that don't cut corners in their building practices and pay sharp attention to detail which makes for a beautiful home without contest. I did inspect one Westin Home for a couple that was moving to Houston from Seatle and I had questioned some of their flashing but at first contact with Westin Homes their project managers jumped on the problem immediately with no run around. They offer a 10 year warranty with their homes and would expect nothing less than the same outstanding customer service.

I fear that I may be on the border of sounding like a salesperson for them but the actuality is that I have inspected many homes from many different builders and I insisted that my daughter purchase a Westin Home, not only because I felt she would be safer, but for the value that Westin Homes provides.

If you have any specific question I would be happy to try and answer them. If I don't know the answer I believe I know the consultant for them in that community and could get their contact information for you.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM

15 posts, read 90,220 times
Inspector:

Thanks for the information! We really appreciate it. If it is not too much trouble, we have one more question for you, since you clearly have a good grasp of the home building industry in the Houston area. Is Perry Homes a good builder? We went and looked at one of their homes and it looked very nice, but we would like to know if they are a 'quality builder'. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector80 View Post
Stonebridge is an excellent community and should not be affected by the landfill. I would advise against the back lots of Shadow Creek Ranch as that will be the area at risk to be affected. As for builders, Westin Homes is a great builder. They tend to go above and beyond the building requirements with their homes which creates a long lasting value and makes the difference when your home withstands a strong hurricane and, heaven forbid, your neighbors are knocking on your door asking to ride the storm out with you because their home didn't. Westin Homes is not a national builder, they started in 1994 and build in about 15 active communities in and around Houston. They are one of the few builder's homes that I have inspected that don't cut corners in their building practices and pay sharp attention to detail which makes for a beautiful home without contest. I did inspect one Westin Home for a couple that was moving to Houston from Seatle and I had questioned some of their flashing but at first contact with Westin Homes their project managers jumped on the problem immediately with no run around. They offer a 10 year warranty with their homes and would expect nothing less than the same outstanding customer service.

I fear that I may be on the border of sounding like a salesperson for them but the actuality is that I have inspected many homes from many different builders and I insisted that my daughter purchase a Westin Home, not only because I felt she would be safer, but for the value that Westin Homes provides.

If you have any specific question I would be happy to try and answer them. If I don't know the answer I believe I know the consultant for them in that community and could get their contact information for you.

Hope this helps

Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM

22 posts, read 171,067 times
Well, they're not a terrible builder, they are what we call a production or "cookie cutter" builder. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I mean Henry Ford made a fortune making cars that way. However, with my experience with them, I have found that they have a lot of foundation problems due to improperly compacted or poorly compacted fill soil. Also, something that concerns me, some of the homebuilders in the Houston area, including Perry Homes, are dropping their home prices dramatically, in some cases 50, 60 or 70 thousand dollars depending on community location. I have seen this as a last ditch effort to liquify assets and avoid going out of business. Royce homes did the exact same thing right before they went out of business, then that was it, no warranty, nothing. It was like they never exsisted. Not saying that is what is happening, but it is something to consider.

Also, I don't know for sure, but I think their warranty is 2 years? If that is the case I would be concerned about that as well. The key is to be activily involved in the building process personally.

Hope that helps

Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,731 times
Default question: HARWOOD HOMES IN PEARLAND

Just signed offer contract with 2k down. I am really scared in losing the EM money. House seems very nice (offered low 300's) listing shows 329k but is it well built? Is Harwood as good as they sound on paper?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,065 times
Default mcpurple

Yes what info can you give on Stonebridge & Westiin Homes?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 8,065 times
Thanks for the info inspector80

Old 04-03-2010, 01:42 PM

11 posts, read 24,204 times
Hi inspector, how about the Gehan home in SCR( right at Kirby and Sailiwing creek )? Is Gehan a quality builder? We also like the perry home in westhaven but someone convinced us to stay away from that location. I do appreciate your input.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 20,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector80 View Post

Hope this helps
Thanks for the info, Westin appears to quality builder. Although, it appears all of the Westin homes in Pearland are in SCR.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,829 times
Since this old thread was revived as an apparent plug for Westin, I'd like to add something for the sake of fairness. In Brazoria Co., where all but the far west edge of Shadowcreek Ranch lies, all new homes must be built to meet state windstorm specifications. This is because Brazoria Co. is a coastal county. Some of the replies in this thread made it sound like only Westin was building to these specs in SCR. Not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston