Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 PM

89 posts, read 258,848 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into having Gehan build us a new home in San Antonio. Does anyone have any experience with this home builder? Are they reputable and is their finished product a good one? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
They have really nice homes, haven't heard any complaints but i'm sure if you look hard enough you will find some, like all builders. Get yourself a realtor to represent you.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:07 PM

30 posts, read 159,387 times
I have a Gehan home, I will NEVER buy one again, they are nice until you sign on the dotted line! I have been waiting almost a year for them to finish their 1 year warranty work, very slow with lots of excuses. They have patched up cracks in the walls and on the ceilings about 5 months ago and I still waiting to have them come in and spot touch the paint, they first told me to do it my self with the "touch up kit" that was sopose to be given to me, funny thing though I was never given one. We were also told that the house was build with the tubes in the walls for the exterminator, they were not put in either. The mirror in my master bath is turning black, it was reported to them when they finally came out for the inspection and I was told it would be replaced, but the company that put the mirror in won't replace it because it was put in before the home was sold so therefore it is no longer under warrenty (we purchased a spec home that was finished about 5 months before we purchsed). RUN don't walk in the opposite direction!!!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 PM

Just remembered this:
Ratings | J.D. Power

Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 PM

89 posts, read 258,848 times
Thanks for the honest feedback SamB...

Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamB View Post
Just remembered this:
Ratings | J.D. Power
I don't know that I would go by a source that ranks KB homes and David Weekley homes the same.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,645 times
Homeowners for better building is headquartered in San Antonio. Check hobb out as well as homeowners against deficient dwellings.
Lots of info on both those sites in regards to JD Power. One builder was rated #1 a while back at the same time being hit with millions in fines from the Federal Trade Commission.
If you choose, get a realtor but more importanly get to know what the laws are regarding new construction in the state of Texas. Consumer protection-none. Be careful of builders who are throwing incentives around as well.
Whatever you do in my opinion, whether you get a new or used home get a top inspector from the state licensed website in Texas.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:26 AM

410 posts, read 1,675,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamB View Post
I have a Gehan home, I will NEVER buy one again, they are nice until you sign on the dotted line! I have been waiting almost a year for them to finish their 1 year warranty work, very slow with lots of excuses. They have patched up cracks in the walls and on the ceilings about 5 months ago and I still waiting to have them come in and spot touch the paint, they first told me to do it my self with the "touch up kit" that was sopose to be given to me, funny thing though I was never given one. We were also told that the house was build with the tubes in the walls for the exterminator, they were not put in either. The mirror in my master bath is turning black, it was reported to them when they finally came out for the inspection and I was told it would be replaced, but the company that put the mirror in won't replace it because it was put in before the home was sold so therefore it is no longer under warrenty (we purchased a spec home that was finished about 5 months before we purchsed). RUN don't walk in the opposite direction!!!!!
Did you ever post your complaint on the HOBB or HADD board? Both these organizations keep data that is used by many national consumer groups, meaning those that do not pay dues for bureaus to promote them or used in surveys as such as the one mentioned in this thread.
Just today the top ten list of consumer complaints came out with shoddy construction being rated #2.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM

TxSpark,
Your welcome.

Scammed,
No, I never posted a complaint with either of them, but I am going to look into it. My husband is threatening to call the Better Business Buerau. The most recent excuse I have gotten was that, because the housing market was so bad that they are cutting back on their employees, so they do not have the man power to send people out to do the job. You know I could somewhat deal with the touch up paint factor, if they would just give me a home owners kit or at least give me the name or brand of paint that they used so I could at least go get some. We are working at this point on getting 1 room at a time done before going on to the next, with 3 kids underfoot, I do not have the time to dismantal and put back together all my rooms at once, nor can I afford the expense to paint the whole house at once.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:52 AM

1 posts, read 14,574 times
Thank you for the heads up. I was getting ready to purchase one. The review are so bad. Thank you...I will run from here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston