Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 09:35 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Verizon. Really awesome cell phone coverage. Their wireless air card is terrific, too. I had AT&T until I realized that I could never get online when I was traveling and my husband ALWAYS could with his Verizon air card, so I switched to Verizon, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Wow, there are som fairly ignoramus answers on here. Cricket has horrible coverage, especially once you leave the city limits.

Your best coverage will be from Verizon Wireless and/or AT&T Wireless. Both have equally massive networks. Within the city, Sprint is fine, but I wouldn't rely on it for road trips.

I've had Verizon Wireless for 10 years straight now, and within there I've had cell phones for work from Cingular/AT&T Wireless and Nextel Wireless. A friend of mine has had Sprint for as long as I've had Verizon, and he always loses signal in areas where I'm still going strong with my Verizon phone. Just one word of suggestin: get a Motorola phone, and not the "free" model, either.

I also happen to feel that CDMA is the superior technology and Verizon (and Sprint) use this technology. AT&T does have a strong coverage area, though. If you don't go with Verizon, go with AT&T. Avoid Cricket, T-Mobile and Nextel like the plague. Sprint is "ok" but I wouldn't recommend it over the two big ones.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:49 AM

46 posts, read 143,198 times
Same experience as DiverTodd62 and baggiegenes!

"T-mobile has the worst coverage of all the major providers. I have T-mobile and routinely cannot get a signal while my friends stand beside me chatting away on Verizon or AT&T Cingular. T-mobile is OK as long as you are on a freeway but venture off a few miles and coverage gets spotty.[LEFT]I had sprint 2 years ago. Bad customer service and on the expensive side, but the phone and coverage were good."

For the past two years I had T-mobile. Cheaper, but coverage was poor in many areas and inside buildings.

I just switched to AT&T. Coverage is great, price is reasonable, but not the cheapest."

Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,458 times
All the cell phone coverage is great service in Houston - Galveston, but for actual service thats a tough one. Pretty much whoever has a 24 hour customer service line.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,553 times
Verizon hands down. My whole family uses VZ and we're tremendously pleased. My folks live in Sugar Land, and I'm in Huntsville. Outstanding coverage at all points in between.

1. Verizon
2. AT&T
3. Sprint
4. T-Mobile

Cricket, I wouldn't even bother ranking.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I just recently switched from AT&T to Verizon....Much better all the around!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
ATT Houston back when ATT was SBC Houston had the best coverage area anywhere for SBC

Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,916,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoost View Post
Same experience as DiverTodd62 and baggiegenes!

"T-mobile has the worst coverage of all the major providers. I have T-mobile and routinely cannot get a signal while my friends stand beside me chatting away on Verizon or AT&T Cingular. T-mobile is OK as long as you are on a freeway but venture off a few miles and coverage gets spotty.[LEFT]I had sprint 2 years ago. Bad customer service and on the expensive side, but the phone and coverage were good."

For the past two years I had T-mobile. Cheaper, but coverage was poor in many areas and inside buildings.

I just switched to AT&T. Coverage is great, price is reasonable, but not the cheapest."
Why did you reactivate a two year old thread?

Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 PM

30 posts, read 140,004 times
I have T-Mobile and have not had a problem with getting a signal or dropped calls.

The only problem I have had is with accessing the internet through my phone...sometimes my internet access drops.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM

258 posts, read 954,709 times
I've been with Tmobile, Verizon, and Sprint.

Tmobile was the cheapest back in 03, but signal, and reception wasn't reliable. I couldn't use it in my room for some reason. Verizon was great, strong signal, great coverage, but the most expensive. I finally switched to sprint because it offered enough minutes and features at my price point, and included free roaming.

If I'm not in sprint coverage area, it roams on Verizon's network. I'm assuming it's verizon since they are the only two major carriers that use CDMA. Last year, it would roam in certain areas near UH for some reason. This year, it hasn't roamed once, and I've had signal every where I go. It suits my needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston