Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 01:20 PM

6 posts, read 23,655 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on buying a home in Kingwood, and I'm looking for some info on the villages.

I've looked at Kingwood websites, and I live nearby right now, but I'm hoping to get some info from people who live there and have experience on which villages are better and which not as good.

Things like crime/safety; upkeep of homes, landscaping and greenbelts; types of neighbors; things that you experience on a daily basis.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
kingwood doesn't seem very developed to me. if your looking for a more livable community i would recommend the woodlands or sugarland.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
kingwood doesn't seem very developed to me. if your looking for a more livable community i would recommend the woodlands or sugarland.
This is a joke I hope. Kingwood is one of the best places to live in Houston and has been building out since the late 70s. Personally I live in Oakhurst which is one of the neighborhoods still under construction and the only one on the west side of 59. Its a great neighborhood with tons of trees, a golf course, and a community pool.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:55 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Go here:

Welcome to Kingwood Texas - www.Kingwood.com

They have message boards very simular to this very forum. You can ask questions and chat with nothing but Kingwood residents who share everything in common with yourself.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM

6 posts, read 23,655 times
"if your looking for a more livable community i would recommend the woodlands or sugarland."

Please don't make this into another Kingwood vs The Woodlands thread, or any other neighborhood for that matter.

That's not the question I asked. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:51 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexan View Post
I'm planning on buying a home in Kingwood, and I'm looking for some info on the villages.

I've looked at Kingwood websites, and I live nearby right now, but I'm hoping to get some info from people who live there and have experience on which villages are better and which not as good.

Things like crime/safety; upkeep of homes, landscaping and greenbelts; types of neighbors; things that you experience on a daily basis.

Thanks, much appreciated.
don't know how useful my opinion is, I've been here less than a year, but here you go.
I live in Forest Cove. I like it for a few reasons, the huge lots, the lack of curbs and sidewalks, the huge trees, and proximity to 59.
I have heard people hem and haw about how 'horrible' my neighborhood is for crime, and yet, other than a guy down my street who had his car radio stolen, I've never heard of anything. Maybe it's that I'm from California where you have to bolt your patio furniture to the concrete, else risk never seeing it again, but I don't consider this place dangerous. My neighbors are friendly without being up in my business, it's quiet here, lots of squirrels and trees, birds all over my yard. I notice the tree cover gives it about a 5 or more degree drop in temperature, and I have yet to see a mosquito.

If you like strict HOAs and CC&Rs, there are probably better neighborhoods for you. I think you'd have to really **** off a neighbor for anyone to come tell you that your lawn needs mowing, or hedges need trimming.
But the nice part is that people here don't need those rules, people here keep their yards nice because they want them nice. I would generalize Forest Cove as fewer children, more older established residents. I believe this is one of the first tracts put in.

I hope any of this helps you. The best thing I can say is that I love it here, I love it very much and I see myself living here til old age. The trees do it for me, it's really comforting to live in the woods, and smell the pines and so on. Very nice.
I believe that you should be able to find the neighborhood that suits you here.

In general, the Kingwood greenbelts are more "natural" and less "let's fill this street divider with trees and plants that are not indigenous". I happen to love that.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:36 PM

28 posts, read 92,254 times
I moved to Kingwood about a year ago. We looked at a lot of neighborhoods in the $175-$250K range. We really liked Bear Branch (where we bought, greenbelts are great in this area), Sand Creek, Foster's Mill, and King's Point. There are several much more expensive areas as well. I think King's Forest is beautiful, but I can't spend $500K on a house.

Most of Kingwood is nice. We have had very few problems with crime so far. Kingwood is very family oriented. If you want a nice quiet safe area for your family, you will like Kingwood.

Bear Branch has a mix of ages. There are original owners in their seventies. There are baby boomers, and there are a lot of younger families moving in and modernizing the older homes. We love it here.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 39,144 times
There are a number of vill someages in Kingwood. Been here now 29 years. Most people think of Kingwood as an upperclass/affluent area. The truth is some villages are low to middle class, some upper middle class, some affluent villages and then there are some gaited areas with guards for the rich. Was in a couple of those areas a few years back, but only because I was an estimator for exotic roofs on new construction. The cost, just for the roof on a few that I bid was over 175,000.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:22 PM

8 posts, read 21,365 times
People in Kingwood are very trailerpark like.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian323 View Post
People in Kingwood are very trailerpark like.
Are you serious? This must also be a joke. (assuming trailerpark like is a slam)

I just hung out with some women from Kingwood the other day and they were far from "trailerpark." In fact, they were well educated stylish and friendly. They did mention that there were some issues with snobs in Kingwood, but I have not encountered them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston