U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:19 AM

5 posts, read 28,467 times

Advertisements

We're on our house-hunting trip this week. We found a fantastic house in our price range in Sugarland on Monday. But then, yesterday, we found an even more fantastic house in Sienna Plantation. We were extremely impressed by the family-oriented planning and the wide variety of services in Sienna; however, we know that Sugarland has much to offer as well.

So our questions boil down to just a couple:

Is the commute from either community to downtown Houston (Bagby Street) significantly different? Is Sienna P. closer?

Sugarland appears to be nearly fully developed, whereas Sienna is only 8 years into a 28-year expansion plan. Does this mean that Sugarland's property values might climb more quickly, with the supply going down while Sienna will continue to have more inventory added at a greater pace? What do you think?

Are there any drawbacks to Sienna Plantation that aren't apparent from the rather slick marketing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 69,075 times
I, too, am moving to Houston in June, and also looking at Sienna Plantation, as well as other communities close to the med center such as Shadow Creek Ranch; If anyone has the inside scoop, let us know!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:01 AM

4,867 posts, read 9,339,597 times
Sienna Plantation is in the Fort Bend ISD.

Some residents are zoned to Sienna Crossing Elementary School, while others are zoned to Scanlan Oaks Elementary School.

All residents are zoned to Baines Middle School and Hightower High School.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:48 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,341,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanch View Post
We're on our house-hunting trip this week. We found a fantastic house in our price range in Sugarland on Monday. But then, yesterday, we found an even more fantastic house in Sienna Plantation. We were extremely impressed by the family-oriented planning and the wide variety of services in Sienna; however, we know that Sugarland has much to offer as well.

So our questions boil down to just a couple:

Is the commute from either community to downtown Houston (Bagby Street) significantly different? Is Sienna P. closer?

Sugarland appears to be nearly fully developed, whereas Sienna is only 8 years into a 28-year expansion plan. Does this mean that Sugarland's property values might climb more quickly, with the supply going down while Sienna will continue to have more inventory added at a greater pace? What do you think?

Are there any drawbacks to Sienna Plantation that aren't apparent from the rather slick marketing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Both areas are beautiful. The commutes into downtown from those areas are really not significantly different. Go with Sugar Land....beautiful area with great shopping and restaurants.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,097,762 times
If you really loved Sienna but want access to Sugar Land amenities, it's easy... First Colony Mall and Sugar Land town square are maybe 4-5 miles west down Hwy 6!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:54 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,049,594 times
But it takes so long to get there! Traffic on Highway 6 is a pain! I wish Highway 6 was a freeway. It really should have been.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:02 PM

24 posts, read 213,133 times
Default Sienna Schools???

I grew up in the area of Sienna Plantation, and my parents currently own a ranch in that vicinity as well. Sienna is a nice development, but I would really check into the schools if you have children. Hightower High School has been on the news on several occassions with violence. Some areas outside of Sienna are rough and gang-ridden. Do some research, but I think that a new high school is planned for within the Sienna develpment. So, if you don't have any children or they aren't close to high school age, Sienna may be great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hightower_High_School

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2132/hightower-student-complained-of-excessive-force-in-arrest-officer-is-disciplined (broken link)

Old 02-24-2007, 02:24 PM

12 posts, read 68,592 times
Hightower is in the news b/c there are low income housing in the Stafford/Sugar Land areas with Katrina evacuees all over Houston. Sienna Plantation and Sugar Land are pretty much the same thing. I gew up in Sugar Land when nothing was out by Sienna. They have the Ft. Bend Toll Rd., that goes into downtown or if you are in the Sugar you just take Hwy 59. They are both the same distance and time pretty much. Sugar Land is way too crowded with rude foreigners....but don't think for one second they aren't out in Sienna either....don't base your decision on either...which one has the best house and best price b/c everything else doesn't really matter in the big picture.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 PM

21 posts, read 177,342 times
Default Go with Sugar Land

First off, Sienna Plantation is a planned community in Missouri City (half in Mo City's city limits and half in their ETJ) Sugar Land is an entire city with a population of more than 75,000 people made up of multiple planned communities.

My wife and I were looking at homes 4 years ago and we looked all over the place--Cinco Ranch, Pearland, Sienna Plantation, The Woodlands and throughout Sugar Land. We looked very carefully at Sienna Plantation but built a home Sugar Land for several reasons:

1. Sienna Plantation is in Missouri City, which has nice parts, but has (right or wrong) an overall less desireable perception among Fort Bend Co. cities. Sienna has some kind of rough areas not too far away. Sugar Land does, too, but they are more on the fringes and not as mixed up throughout the city as Mo City.
2. The community we chose is right along Hwy 59, making for an easy and toll-free commute.
3. We noticed several of the sections of Sienna had ugly drainage ditches running along everybody's front yard, which did not appeal to us from both a visual and child safety aspect.
4. Sugar Land was starting to boom at the time in terms of retail and restaurant choices. Several upscale projects were in their early phases and have turned out to be even nicer than we expected.
5. The community we chose had a lot of beautiful old oak trees--Sienna has them, too, but not as many.
6. There were other less tangable qualities that made us like Sugar Land better, and that gave me the impression we had a better chance at good resale values.

Since we built our house, the beautiful Sugar Land Town Center has opened and flourished, an upscale retail/residential/commercial project (with a planned Whole Foods) has broken ground, an exciting mixed use project at the old sugar mill has entered the final planning stages and Sugar Land has been listed as the number 3 community in the US by CNN/Money. Sienna Plantation is nice, but I feel more comfortable with the long-term prospects for my investment, and really feel part of my community more than I think I would feel if we had chosen Sienna. Just my two cents.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,394,166 times
I will have to be the voice of dissent here and stake my claim in Sienna Plantation. It is a very ambitiously designed master-planned community that hopes to have its very own junior and high school eventually, along with more retail and doctors (I believe Christus is putting in a clinic or hospital near the entrance). I love the feel of it (esp the east side of Steep Bank Village) and the Toll Road sweeps you almost to downtown in a matter of minutes. It's terrific.

I like Sugar Land very much but the less time I spend on Hwy 6, the better. ICK! Sooner or later that will all be in or near enough to Sienna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>