Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 02:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times

Advertisements

Talk about whining...when the temperatures dip into the 30's, people in Houston howl about how BITTERLY COLD it is. And if the mercury were to dip below -- gasp! -- 32F, then it's as though life comes to a halt.

When I was in Houston years ago there was one winter day when the temperature did not rise about 32F and the news was NONSTOP about how amazingly cold it was. Texans act like they're tough, but when the temperature ever gets into the 20's or 30's they curl up in a corner like weeping babies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 03:12 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Talk about whining...when the temperatures dip into the 30's, people in Houston howl about how BITTERLY COLD it is. And if the mercury were to dip below -- gasp! -- 32F, then it's as though life comes to a halt.

When I was in Houston years ago there was one winter day when the temperature did not rise about 32F and the news was NONSTOP about how amazingly cold it was. Texans act like they're tough, but when the temperature ever gets into the 20's or 30's they curl up in a corner like weeping babies...
Oh gosh not me. I open the windows, light all the fire places, open the red wine, cook something hot and homie like Coq Au vin........I LOVE the cold snaps. There aren't enough in my opinion. I just don't like it when it ices here because no one can drive on ice in Houston, and we don't have sanding trucks to make it any safer.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,124,246 times
Quote:

Its really the retarded, whining media that does this. KTRH whines like a stuck pig anytime its not 72 degrees and sunny. Most people go on about their normal lives in the RARE event we really do have some weather.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:52 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Quote:

That is because it is supposed to be HOT here not cold so we aren't acclimated. Just as people in the NE howl when it gets hot there. We are talking about the area ... and the people that cry from the heat here typically aren't the natives.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Want something else to whine about? Look here: National Hurricane Center Potential tropical storm on the Texas coast close to Houston by Wednesday.
Betcha NOAA is sending out the "Hurricaine Hunter" aircraft as we speak. They do that if even so much as a small fluffy cloud forms in the Carribean. How pathetic!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 PM

433 posts, read 1,929,895 times
Default so what?

People get too worked up about weather. We went to Houston last week to start to look around and we barely saw anyone outside- even the local pools were almost empty!? When its over 90 here you can barely move there are so many people in the pools. We asked our realtor and she said it was "too hot." I went to Starbucks and I was the only one to sit outside for a couple of hours enjyoing my iced tea and book. Then at a restaurant at night we asked to sit outside and the waiter half-joked that he wouldn't serve us outside because it was too hot. He kept saying he would melt if he had to carry food outside so we just sat inside. I don't get it. Yeah, it was hot, so? Yeah, Chicago is cold in the winter, so? Just dress appropriately and get over it!!! It's like when we lived in London and people complained about the rain. blah blah buy an umbrella.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:54 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
That is because it is supposed to be HOT here not cold so we aren't acclimated. Just as people in the NE howl when it gets hot there. We are talking about the area ... and the people that cry from the heat here typically aren't the natives.
It isn't about the cold. Even when it's hot, Texans start to cry about the weather. Grow a pair Texans. There are older more densely urban cities that are hotter than Houston and people are walking around in those cities with ease. Why can't the citizens of Texas do the same? Use the extreme weather that you get every year to your advantage and improve the cities.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:

Not me, I LOVE cold weather, days of highs only in the 30's is something I long far and rarely get. But I am cry'n like a baby in the summer

Old 08-02-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Betcha NOAA is sending out the "Hurricaine Hunter" aircraft as we speak. They do that if even so much as a small fluffy cloud forms in the Carribean. How pathetic!

WOW! I was just joking, but they are actually going to waste a bunch of fuel to see a little cloud! Guess they have to grasp at straws to try to justify their existence. Gov't at work! PATHETIC!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,212,654 times
No, they are not sending a plane just yet. Maybe this evening, maybe tomorrow. Too many oil rigs out there to take a chance. Looks like Houston may have a tropical storm (at very least a depression) on it's doorstep Tuesday or Wednesday AM as development is very favorable. Lord knows we could sure use the rain.
Look at the bright side (in a weird way), the new folks on this board and in Houston might get a chance to see where it floods.
Tropical systems are called drought busters here in Texas for a reason and we are certainly seeing the onset of drought conditions around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston