U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2007, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 35,559 times

Advertisements

I've an Important question and need answers or opinions. I live in Seabrook, south of the ship channel. With all the reports last week of a 50% higher chance of children living in and near the area of developing some form of cancer. When I decided to build here I thought I was far enough away from all the risks. Is that not true? The reports were saying it only affected those in a 2 mile area. There are no smoke stacks anywhere near us. Granted, I watch the ships sail in and never thought of my child getting cancer. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 10:21 AM

14,557 posts, read 32,061,651 times
If you can smell it, I would worry some, at least. The ships (and barges) can also leak organic chemicals, but that is currently the 'hot' item to get corrected, so that may be improving already or in the near future.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,017,094 times
I work at the hospital where much of that study was done, and yes, there is a connection. But like you know, it's really within a 2-mile area. 10 miles away, we don't see the same effect. The homes, schools where many of these children live and play are right up next to the refineries.

I wouldn't get too worried in Seabrook. The ships were not the concern.
If it's a real concern to you, just choose a different area next time you want to move to a new home. But for now, nothing to lose sleep over IMO!

Old 01-25-2007, 08:07 PM

4,867 posts, read 9,243,838 times
I have several friends from school who live in the Ship Channel areas.

They should try to get the plants to clean up their acts somewhat.

By the way, the reason for the cancer risk in the ship channel area has to do with the chemical factories. Seabrook is far away from those factories.

Last edited by Vicman; 01-25-2007 at 08:22 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 PM

1,314 posts, read 6,121,250 times
I think common sense tells you that if you can see it, and if you can smell it...don't be near it.

Houston and the Texas Gulf Coast have gotten away with murder as far as toxic/chemical releases that have gone unprosecuted. Most other major cities in America have a prosecutor who specifically handles industrial polluters....Houston, go figure has managed to evade having this protection in place, instead depending on the good reputation of the American Petrochemical industry.

With that said, Houston has some of the highest cancer rates in the country (per capita).

My wife is an insurance defence attorney, it almost makes her sick that she defends these companies, but you better believe that we have a major problem in Texas. Don't think for a second that you can trust these companies to be looking out for the people. They're in it for one thing and one thing only. Just remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: