Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:35 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,936,841 times

Advertisements

I'm scared to death of finding a new hair stylist since moving to Cinco Ranch from out of state. I have very curly hair and the cut is SO important. I don't want to just randomly pick someone from the phone book, but I'm getting desperate! It doesn't help that my longtime stylist back home was pretty inexpensive at about $30 a haircut, most of the salons here seem to start around $40...but I'm willing to pay a little more if I find someone great.

So...any suggestions? I know there are some Katy folks on this board...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,813 times
I've been here almost 3 years and I still don't have a stylist yet. Back home I went every 6 weeks like clockwork to the same stylist. I have let my hair grow long (requires fewer cuts) and have been to several different places (I've been afraid to experiment too much). I have been most pleased with Elham, who works at Visible Changes in West Oaks Mall ($60 for a cut from her - their fee is based on how much experience the stylist has).

And, yes, having to find a new hairdresser was what I stressed about most during my move :-).

West Oaks Mall Now Selling (http://www.shopwestoaksmall.com/go/fb/guide/store.cfm?StoreInstanceID=2185&StoreID=2137022645& MallID=74 - broken link)

I have taken my daughter to the Aveda Salon on Mason, and she's been happy.

http://www.bellaspaonline.com/

Old 08-11-2008, 08:23 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
You could try what I did and walk up to someone with similar hair who had a great look and ask where she had it cut. I wasn't happy with her answer, though...she mentioned some salon in Katy but I forgot the name once she told me the cut was $200.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:11 PM

$200 for a cut? Come on, that had to include highlights or something. My husband said the same thing, but so far I haven't seen anyone with curly hair in a good cut! I imagine it might have something to do with the fact that it is so hard to keep curly hair looking decent in this humidity, it's easier (and cooler) to just pull it all back.

See I knew I could count on you two ladies for at least a reply!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
$200 for a cut? Come on, that had to include highlights or something. My husband said the same thing, but so far I haven't seen anyone with curly hair in a good cut! I imagine it might have something to do with the fact that it is so hard to keep curly hair looking decent in this humidity, it's easier (and cooler) to just pull it all back.

See I knew I could count on you two ladies for at least a reply!
She insisted it was $200 just for the cut...crazy!

My straight hair isn't looking too good in this humidity, especially with all the swimming we've been doing. Somebody told me that the water in Houston makes hair get really dry...I'm not sure if that is true. My hair does seems dry and frizzy despite tons of conditioning.

I work from home so I am increasingly just wearing it up...clients can't see how I look during phone meetings.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:32 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
My straight hair isn't looking too good in this humidity,
Oddly enough, my straight hair can actually be worn long now because of the lower humidity. Back home in N.O. everytime I tried to let my hair grow out long, it would look great until I stepped outside - then it went all limp and straight into a ponytail holder - consequently I wore my hair above shoulder length most of my adult life (every few years trying to grow it out again). I have been able to grow my hair long and it looks the same when I get to the office as it did when I styled it at home.

Anyway, I should have mentioned earlier to stay away from a stylist who calls himself Amazing Johnny, or Fantastic Johnny (don't remember the exact adjective). I gave him 3 chances when we first moved here, but he really did a poor job on my daughter's hair the last time we went. She has moderately curly hair that she straightens that will curl up quite a bit in a lot of humidity. She wanted a shaggy hair cut with short layers and I told her that her hair was too curly for that look (she wanted to keep it straight), but agreed she could try a longer version. I explained all of my concerns to Johnny, who promptly cut her layers so short that after a concert in a hot steamy venue, she looked exactly like little Orphan Annie. :-(

Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 PM

Aww poor kid, having curly hair as a teen was tough. These days I've learned a lot about the importance of cuts and products, and I don't bother with taking the inordinate amount of time to straighten it properly...unless I'm traveling for business and only getting MYSELF ready and not three other people in my house.

So the West Oaks Mall, huh? That place didn't look too appealing when I drove by, but I suppose it does have the closest major department store (I don't count Penneys).

Now if only I could find a nanny so I could actually schedule a hair appt! I just realized it's been eight months since I had a cut...that's just pathetic.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Now if only I could find a nanny so I could actually schedule a hair appt! I just realized it's been eight months since I had a cut...that's just pathetic.
There's always Lifetime Fitness. With a family membership, you get 2 hours per day of time at the Kids Club. They have a Spa and a Salon. When I'm in the mood to splurge, I drop off my children at Kids Club and then I go get a massage.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:27 PM

Lifetime Fitness has a Salon and Spa?? We toured the YMCA and just figured it was a no-brainer for us to join there, but we haven't yet. Maybe we need to rethink it and tour the Lifetime Fitness too.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Lifetime Fitness has a Salon and Spa?? We toured the YMCA and just figured it was a no-brainer for us to join there, but we haven't yet. Maybe we need to rethink it and tour the Lifetime Fitness too.
And a Cafe with healthy food! My children love to eat there. Definitely take a tour. The place is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston