Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,052 times

Advertisements

I'm possibly relocating to Houston to work.

I would be working for an Oil related engineering firm based in the Energy Corridor/Downtown Houston

My wife and i have 2 yound children (aged 2, aged 10 months).

I 've been told to look at West Houston as this would be closest to my work.

I've been looking on HAR.COM at areas such as Memorial, West, Bellaire West and River Oaks.

I'd be looking to pay up to $4000 a month maximum.

I'd want a short commute to work and a family friendly neighbourhood.

What areas would you suggest to rent a home to suit my work location and young children ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,336,270 times
Hi Portsoy, and welcome to Houston! We have quite a sweet little group of Scots here (Heather & Thistle Society (http://www.heatherandthistle.org/index.html - broken link)), and each year there is a Highlands Festival in west Houston. The Society begins meetings/events again in September (they take off for two months during the summer).

As far as neighborhoods, you have been pointed in the right direction. I myself live in the area. I would stick with Wilchester, Nottingham, Yorkshire, Gaywood, Rustling Oaks, Westchester, Memorial Plaza, Memorial Valley, Memorial Way, Memorial Glen, and Memorial Bend. On HAR.com, these neighborhoods will be found in the 77079 zip code. On the other side of the Beltway is the 77024 zip code and there are lovely neighborhoods all throughout with great schools as well. Try running each of those zips and you'll see what is available for lease. If you see something interesting, let us know, one of us here surely can give you some info!

Good luck and again, welcome to Houston.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:46 AM

488 posts, read 1,378,310 times
Hi Portsoy, We moved from Aberdeen about 11 weeks ago and so far we are loving it - apart from the melting weather. When we first came over for a pre-relo visit we looked North West so a bit further out than you are looking at. There are lots of lovely communities with great facilities. We eventually had to go SW (Pearland) as DH's work moved to the East side of Houston. Send me a PM if you or your wife have any specific questions that we might be able to help with.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,118,295 times
Between the energy corridor and downtown there is a difference. Zip code 77077 is in the middle of the energy corridor. River Oaks is close to downtown. If we knew the street location of the company you are going to work for, we could give you more informations. If your company is on the west side in the energy corridor, I would forget about River Oaks if you want a short commute.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM

13 posts, read 36,252 times
Houston Speed and Travel Time Reports Travel times etc. Crime/safety: Apartment Crime Locator | Crime Mapping for Houston . Look up crime for schools, neighborhoods, apartment properties, or any other area within the city of Houston.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,397,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Hi Portsoy, and welcome to Houston! We have quite a sweet little group of Scots here (Heather & Thistle Society (http://www.heatherandthistle.org/index.html - broken link)), and each year there is a Highlands Festival in west Houston. The Society begins meetings/events again in September (they take off for two months during the summer).

As far as neighborhoods, you have been pointed in the right direction. I myself live in the area. I would stick with Wilchester, Nottingham, Yorkshire, Gaywood, Rustling Oaks, Westchester, Memorial Plaza, Memorial Valley, Memorial Way, Memorial Glen, and Memorial Bend. On HAR.com, these neighborhoods will be found in the 77079 zip code. On the other side of the Beltway is the 77024 zip code and there are lovely neighborhoods all throughout with great schools as well. Try running each of those zips and you'll see what is available for lease. If you see something interesting, let us know, one of us here surely can give you some info!

Good luck and again, welcome to Houston.

What Mom2F said. Lot's of Expats in that area.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,799,700 times
West of Houston may be closer to downtown but the commute is bad. 610/10 is one of the worst intersections in the USA. You may want to look at Pearland to the South or Kingwood/Atascosita to the North. Both of these areas have several engineer/oil inductry folks living there.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 PM

15 posts, read 73,656 times
Consider eastern edges of Katy like Kelliwood - at least the very west side of Houston like Green Trails. We're expats from England and have been here 6 years. Love it, expats are pretty normal although you will hear "I love your accent" a lot but that's just folks being friendly! We've found it much more kid and family oriented than the UK ever was! The first summer is the worse, then your blood thins and you'll tolerate it better. COnsider getting a house with a pool, it makes the heat so much more bareable!

Last edited by delightfuldesigns; 08-18-2008 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM

12 posts, read 25,923 times
Default har.com is a great place to find homes

Welcome to Houston. You are the correct site har.com is the best.

There are great homes for that price all over Houston but I would find out where you are working first .. because the traffic can be bad. . You will have more options the far you get from downtown.

Like the other blogger stated, it is a great place to live , with great schools, GET A POOL because it is hot in the Summer.

Good luck
(Mod cut: advertising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portsoy View Post
I'm possibly relocating to Houston to work.

I would be working for an Oil related engineering firm based in the Energy Corridor/Downtown Houston

My wife and i have 2 yound children (aged 2, aged 10 months).

I 've been told to look at West Houston as this would be closest to my work.

I've been looking on HAR.COM at areas such as Memorial, West, Bellaire West and River Oaks.

I'd be looking to pay up to $4000 a month maximum.

I'd want a short commute to work and a family friendly neighbourhood.

What areas would you suggest to rent a home to suit my work location and young children ?

Last edited by elnina; 02-28-2011 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: