U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM

31 posts, read 81,244 times

Advertisements

I have an observation to state and a question of sorts...

Im married to a Filipina; she was born and raised in the Philippines and didnt come here until she was 22-23. she's never been to California, but where we live in North Houston, there are MANY Filipinos; many of them by way of California and before that, the Philippines. I know there are many more Asians in general on the West Coast; so I would assume they are more tightly knit in some respects. along with this, alot of them are 2nd, 3rd, 4th maybe even 5th Generation Filipinos with deep roots and ties to several communities in California, Washington, Oregon and Nevada.

Ive noticed that the Filipino community isnt as tight in Houston, or in all of Texas for that matter, as it is with its West coast counterparts. why is this? any particular reason? and can anybody tell me WHY THE HELL Jollibee, Goldilocks and Chowking are NOT in Texas?!?!?! (to name a few).
Im sick of seeing these advertised on TFC and not having them here in Texas. do the powers that be not think that us people here in Texas wouldnt LOVE that food?!?!
seriously!

we have Filipinana and a few others that are "ok".
as for stores, we have Formart but most of those have closed along with a few KTV bars like TuffPinoy which used to be in north houston.

with all of the pinoys in Texas I find it hard to believe they arent successful in businesses here like on the west coast. do they lack the west coast support system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM

188 posts, read 469,257 times
I think you already answered your question - because there just isn't as many pinoys here in Texas as there are on the west coast. You could basically apply the same deduction about black people not being as "tight" in the Pacific northwest or hispanics not being as "tight" in the Midwest.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,598,005 times
ability and tendency to blend in + sprawl + southern backyard barbecue = The invisible (westernized) asian

Filipino American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
its really more like American Filipino

theres Red Ribbon and other other pinoy stores still available in SW Houston. I guess most pinoys picked Katy and Sugarland as their prefered area, both are quite large already

Old 08-12-2008, 12:12 PM

499 posts, read 1,984,932 times
My wife is filipina, and we moved here from California.
I miss going to Cerritos and having Jollibee fried chicken and that gravy!
I miss Goldilocks bakery stuff, and their 'wet' adobo, plus calamansi juice

I think Jollibee is a franchise, so maybe it's just a matter of some entrepreneurial soul going for it

Old 08-12-2008, 01:13 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,407,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
My wife is filipina, and we moved here from California.
I miss going to Cerritos and having Jollibee fried chicken and that gravy!
I miss Goldilocks bakery stuff, and their 'wet' adobo, plus calamansi juice

I think Jollibee is a franchise, so maybe it's just a matter of some entrepreneurial soul going for it
I am Filipina and will miss the proximity to "Manila" Mesa (Mira Mesa) and further south of us, National City where all the above are located, when we move back to TX. I'll especially miss the Goldilocks Restaurant that I can go to when I need a "fix". I cook Filipino but it's so tedious to do all that chopping for just 2 people.

I think you're right about "entrepreneurial soul". There are a lot of Filipinos in the NY/NJ tri-state area but they don't have any of the above either. A lot of restaurants in NY have come and gone (and most have been just plain ol' bad!). My parents get a kick out of coming to San Diego to experience all that although we do have a relative in NJ that has a store/small buffet (it's sarap!).

BTW - I don't think there is a Red Ribbon in Houston or Texas for that matter. Houston has a Gold Ribbon which is more of a buffet/restaurant-type place.

FWIW - we have a few "Texas" type BBQ places here & well, it's amusing.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I am Filipina

BTW - I don't think there is a Red Ribbon in Houston or Texas for that matter. Houston has a Gold Ribbon which is more of a buffet/restaurant-type place.

FWIW - we have a few "Texas" type BBQ places here & well, it's amusing.

well we know you're filipina and thanks for the correction with Gold Ribbon
NJ has lots of Pinoy Fastfood places and supply stores so we didn't really miss anything else except Jollibee burgers. Our sweet spaghetti, pork bbq skewers, pancit, adobo etc formula is already available in stores really. This is the main reason we chose SW houston. We need access to Japanese and Filipino and everything asian.
The OP lives in the Woodlands so thats basically the reason for missing the filipino services. We're all down here gravitating around the Texas Medical district of course.

some info here //www.city-data.com/forum/houst...community.html

There's a place called Quiapo in Stafford but I haven't visited yet. I'm trying to visit them all, hopefully one of them can match the great cooks i met in NJ

Old 08-12-2008, 02:34 PM

My brother & his Philippine-born/raised wife recently went somewhere in Houston that they said was much better than Gold Ribbon (which was decent from what I remember) - I'll ask him for the name.

SW Houston - yes...that's one of the reasons my brother & SIL are looking in the area - for good access to asian markets & food.

You don't miss the Chicken Joy from JB? We were at ChowKing a couple of weeks ago...and Goldilocks and Red Ribbon and JB. My family was in town for our children's baptism so in addition to those places, we also scored with Mom's mongo, pochero, palabok...time for lunch!

Thanks for the link - I will check that out.

LOL - I guess my screen name is a dead giveaway.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
You don't miss the Chicken Joy from JB? We were at ChowKing a couple of weeks ago...and Goldilocks and Red Ribbon and JB.

nah. I'm all grown up now. I'm on a mission to find crispy pata.
ahem, my mother cooked for atleast 10 people everytime raising 8 kids. She's a very good pinoy cook and she managed 3 Goldilocks branches at the same time (Lola is part owner back in those days). Well she can cook any of those stuff they serve really easily and then some more and she is in NW Houston. I do need to shop for 'pinoy meat parts' and veggies and bring it to her whenever i'm missing some of that tasty stuff. in fact, i think i'll bring her some hocks this weekend

Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM

4,878 posts, read 12,217,183 times
I checked Jollibee's website and they only have Franchises in CA, NY, and NV and they aren't currently allowing any more. Btw if anyone needs a good price on Balikbayan boxes DM me .

Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
nah. I'm all grown up now. I'm on a mission to find crispy pata.
ahem, my mother cooked for atleast 10 people everytime raising 8 kids. She's a very good pinoy cook and she managed 3 Goldilocks branches at the same time (Lola is part owner back in those days). Well she can cook any of those stuff they serve really easily and then some more and she is in NW Houston. I do need to shop for 'pinoy meat parts' and veggies and bring it to her whenever i'm missing some of that tasty stuff. in fact, i think i'll bring her some hocks this weekend
OMG - well, then, like me, you'd be disappointed in most places out there.

Heard back from my brother: Filipiana

http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/rest...ws/rsv3242.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or