Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That's not what it was about. This is what I heard on the radio news FWIW:

The lady was told to watch her mouth (verbal warning of sorts), then got belligerent with the officer, spouting out more F words like the high class LaMarque lady-role-model she was. Then she got her cuffs & ticket for disorderly conduct.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's what I heard on the news.

This seems more likely. Some of those ladies scare me worse than a Mexican Gangsta.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
[quote=theaustinegalitarian;4972781]"This is why Texas has an exploding prison population problem. That is not the first time a person is arrested for this, and sometimes the cops instigate an arrest, not just in Houston but all across Texas.

Texas is in stage one of the process Russia was in under Stalin. "Stage one" is when an arrest is no longer related to crime but is related to a desire by the state to put as many people as possible into prison."

Okay, the prison population is not exploding because it is filled with people arrested for infractions such as cursing. The rest of the post sounds a bit conspiracy theorist paranoia. Texas and Russia under Stalin -- there is no comparison. Get out of the textbooks and imagination and visit the rest of the world a bit, you'll see that your freedoms are very much in tact here and much more so than the majority of the world.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:18 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,946 times
When I read a story like this it makes me scared to ever move back to Texas. This is the kind of moral grandstanding and state intervention in people's personal lives that scares the hell out of me. For all the Texan chest beating about personal freedom and limited government, many Texans have no problem with the state sticking its nose in your bedroom, your personal life, and your parent-child relationship. As a native Texan that left years ago, I know what goes on down there.

The woman was trash and probably a really sorry person but you know what people...it is not against the law to be white trash! If it was half the state of Texas would probably be behind bars. It is not against the law to be a Moderator cut: edit person. And you do not have the right to not be offended. This is America, not Saudi Arabia or Iran people. Grow a backbone for Christ's sake.

Last edited by da jammer; 08-26-2008 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
When I read a story like this it makes me scared to ever move back to Texas. This is the kind of moral grandstanding and state intervention in people's personal lives that scares the hell out of me. For all the Texan chest beating about personal freedom and limited government, many Texans have no problem with the state sticking its nose in your bedroom, your personal life, and your parent-child relationship. As a native Texan that left years ago, I know what goes on down there.

The woman was trash and probably a really sorry person but you know what people...it is not against the law to be white trash! If it was half the state of Texas would probably be behind bars. It is not against the law to be a Moderator cut: edit person. And you do not have the right to not be offended. This is America, not Saudi Arabia or Iran people. Grow a backbone for Christ's sake.
I disagree with you on many levels. No one is interferring with someone's "personal" life only their "public" one. Your argument that its a personal right for someone to be able to cuss and carry on in public just doesn't make sense to me. There are many laws against public actions. Nudity being a prime example. I'll make a deal with you. I won't walk down your street naked if you don't walk down mine cussing at the top of your lungs

Last edited by da jammer; 08-26-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
For all the Texan chest beating about personal freedom and limited government, many Texans have no problem with the state sticking its nose in your bedroom, your personal life, and your parent-child relationship. As a native Texan that left years ago, I know what goes on down there.

Didn't realize Wal-Mart was this lady's bedroom, personal life and parent-child relationship.

Though I do think if the officer knew better, he wouldn't have said anything. By telling her to watch her mouth, he was just asking to cause drama. I used to work around the public in League City for a good while, and know exactly how those Galveston County, Harley chicks roll. I also know about those male drama queens, too.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:47 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
If you don't want to be around white trash, quit shopping at Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin
For all the Texan chest beating about personal freedom and limited government, many Texans have no problem with the state sticking its nose in your bedroom, your personal life, and your parent-child relationship.
You're missing the point. As long as it's somebody else's business that the nose is going into, it's OK. Those "values" only apply if you're white, straight, Christian and born in this country. Not to anyone else. It's called hypo---oh, sorry, I meant "compassionate conservatism." Yeah.

Now, after this word from our sponsors, we bring you back live to the dead horse beating action...

Old 08-26-2008, 05:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
Quote:

Perhaps you should grow a backbone and perhaps a partial brain. Rights don't work on a one-way street. If someone has the right to be offensive - then others have the right to be offended. Equal rights bud.

Last edited by da jammer; 08-26-2008 at 09:28 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,865 times
thumbs up for the officer. i wish one like him is present when trash mouths and rowdy groups are in public settings. not necessarily public officials, i've seen seniors hush loud trash talking in enclosed public setting. this usually works between people with the same racial ethnicity

Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
I feel like this is just the start of something bigger that will occur in our society.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,402,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I feel like this is just the start of something bigger that will occur in our society.
Could you perhaps mean curtesy and awareness of someone other than ones self? I certainly hope so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston