Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Yes, Farmers and State Farm are pulling out of the Gulf coast region in particular Galveston and Brazoria counties

Then there are other companies (e.g. Allstate) that won't write new policies, but are keeping their existing customers. The 'zone' is also extended to the coastal parts of Harris county as well.

I'm not sure about people not getting the claims paid, but most of the tarps have disappeared around my area. I am in an evacuation zone and my rate didn't go up. However the fence damage didn't cost enough to warrant making a claim...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,435,719 times
One poster mentioned Chubb, which is generally regarded as the best insurance company around, however, they have very high minimum coverage amounts for home insurance (i think around $500,000) and will not even consider a home worth less. If your home does qualify, however, they offer some very competitive rates and have the best customer service in the business.

That being said, when we wrote our new policy last year we priced around. Allstate didn't really want to write a new policy in our area (North Houston) and Nationwide was extremely willing to take our business by beating their prices. Nationwide offered significant discounts on home coverage when we insured our cars with them.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 AM

354 posts, read 2,429,895 times
Would one need to purchase flood insurance for South Katy?

Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 PM

228 posts, read 1,000,438 times
We have had State Farm car/home since 1970. Ive had a few claims with them thru the years, and love that they write me a check on the spot. After Ike, the adjuster they sent out was so awesome..all we really wanted was a new roof, but they went over and beyond a roof! I do think it matters how long we have had them...when I lived in Louisiana, we first had Farm Bureau, and was very happy with it..but later switched over to SF...

Old 03-27-2009, 06:01 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,436,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
We had Amica for many years and they were very price competitive (still have them for auto insruance). However, they wouldn't cover our new home because it is too old, so we switched to Nationwide. Good prices, no complaints so far.
Now that we have a new roof (thanks Ike!), I called Amica back for a quote. We have our cars insured with them, and their homeowner's came in under our current Nationwide policy, which renews this fall to who-knows-what. I was concerned about the claim we had for the roof, but the agent said that weather-related claims aren't taken into account. Big sigh of relief on our part.

I don't have any complaints with Nationwide, but I have had more experience with Amica and their lower rates make it a no-brainer. I do believe the agent said they are not writing policies in Galveston and Brazoria county, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 11,745 times
we use Geico for both cars and our home. on Geico website, there is no direct link to apply the home insurance, you have to call them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston