Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,504 times

Advertisements

how are we thriving?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:50 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,328,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
how are we thriving?
Greater Houston has a solid black middle class and one of the largest and steadily growing black populations in America. Why? Do you have a case for things being soooooo much better for blacks elsewhere? Let's hear it.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:53 PM

563 posts, read 909,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I lived 12 years in a small town in the Ozarks where everybody was white.
There was a crime there just like anywhere else.... so I don't buy the racial stuff.
For one thing, why is it that 99% of the crime stories that the media show are about black people?
How many times have you seen a story of somebody busted for having a meth lab in their house? (You know exactly where I'm going with that)
What I was talking about was the perception of traditionally Black neighborhoods in Houston like the SW and NW. You cannot watch a news channel without at least hearing once about one or the other. All cities are different and these areas happen to be where most of the crime is here in Houston. In Colorado Springs it's on the SE and dominated by white people. I was just saying movies have nothing to do with that perception.

I don't believe there are any growing upscale Black neighborhoods in Houston. The upscale neighborhoods that are growing include a mix of all races. In fact, ALL new neighborhoods that are being built include a mix like the new development going on down in Dickinson. Your average person isn't looking to segregate themselves anymore they are looking to live in the best house or neighborhood that their money can buy. How many Chinese, Indian, Black, White that may be on their street is an afterthought and a dated notion that is a dying breed in this city (and hopefully the rest of the country).

Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
There is a point here. The newer suburbs in Houston have no pre-established racial identity, so many ethnic groups move into one area. It is still less likely for a White person to move to a "mixed" suburb than it is for any other ethnic group.

There is an identity of a "black suburb" in Missouri City, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
What I was talking about was the perception of traditionally Black neighborhoods in Houston like the SW and NW. You cannot watch a news channel without at least hearing once about one or the other. All cities are different and these areas happen to be where most of the crime is here in Houston. In Colorado Springs it's on the SE and dominated by white people. I was just saying movies have nothing to do with that perception.

I don't believe there are any growing upscale Black neighborhoods in Houston. The upscale neighborhoods that are growing include a mix of all races. In fact, ALL new neighborhoods that are being built include a mix like the new development going on down in Dickinson. Your average person isn't looking to segregate themselves anymore they are looking to live in the best house or neighborhood that their money can buy. How many Chinese, Indian, Black, White that may be on their street is an afterthought and a dated notion that is a dying breed in this city (and hopefully the rest of the country).

Old 05-27-2012, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,124 times
I am really not asking for opinions. I am asking for data. The post is called City data.com, not City opinions.com. I do not allow other people to intimidate me psychologically or otherwise. That response that expressed disdain for my inquiry is an ideology that comes from the paternalistic pattern of thieves-"slave masters", which is a mentality, used to deciding what is best for me. Dating all the way back from when the people that I share a group identity with were captured and brought here in order to work for free. The definition of racism is prejudice+ power. I only have personal power and have prejudged nothing. My decision to live in a cultural relevant place is a preference from my experience here. If you do not have any data about the question, simply do not respond.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,789,685 times
I can't believe in this time and age one will seek "cultural relevant" places. Well crap let's have 100% white neighborhoods and see what kind of nerve that will hit.

Welcome to the 21st century mate, and help it get better rather than going backwards.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Say Know Read View Post
I am really not asking for opinions. I am asking for data. The post is called City data.com, not City opinions.com. I do not allow other people to intimidate me psychologically or otherwise. That response that expressed disdain for my inquiry is an ideology that comes from the paternalistic pattern of thieves-"slave masters", which is a mentality, used to deciding what is best for me. Dating all the way back from when the people that I share a group identity with were captured and brought here in order to work for free. The definition of racism is prejudice+ power. I only have personal power and have prejudged nothing. My decision to live in a cultural relevant place is a preference from my experience here. If you do not have any data about the question, simply do not respond.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:46 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,129,291 times
Quote:
Tilting at windwills...

Old 05-27-2012, 06:09 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,101 times
So Houston is still segregated?

Old 05-27-2012, 06:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,988,426 times
sigh......and this thread just goes on and on........

Old 05-28-2012, 12:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
In the traditional urban neighborhoods, yes, it is de facto segregated. In the newer suburbs, increasingly no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
So Houston is still segregated?
On an internet forum, one will get opinions whether one likes it or not.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston