Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times

Advertisements

it's true...the Jews have their areas....whites move to timbuktu to develop their areas, chinese developed Bellaire, etc., etc...so they had a legit question

as for blacks, that's a rare question we hear in Houston because we didn't develop areas for us like there are in Chicago and Atlanta......

Also, try Lakes of Fondren and Fontenac off of West Airport.....real big homes, majority african american...small communities

Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I can tell anybody where to find "their people" because I know once they go there, they are going to be far from me.

The issue with "white" is that there's a HUGE difference culturally between Bubba that lives in a trailer park and Bill that lives in The Woodlands.
You find that in all groups, but even more in that one.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:58 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
it's true...the Jews have their areas....whites move to timbuktu to develop their areas, chinese developed Bellaire, etc., etc...so they had a legit question

as for blacks, that's a rare question we hear in Houston because we didn't develop areas for us like there are in Chicago and Atlanta......

Also, try Lakes of Fondren and Fontenac off of West Airport.....real big homes, majority african american...small communities
That's it?!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
Houston is really diverse and there are enclaves where you find more of one race or ethnicity than another but you can move into an area like the 288 area of Pearland where there is a nice percentage mix of people that might satisfy any race or ethnicity.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I can tell anybody where to find "their people" because I know once they go there, they are going to be far from me.

The issue with "white" is that there's a HUGE difference culturally between Bubba that lives in a trailer park and Bill that lives in The Woodlands.
You find that in all groups, but even more in that one.
And Bill doesn't want to live by Bubba, because he doesn't keep his property clean, and the family isn't a good influence on Bills family. Thats often a problem in AA areas. They let De'Quincent and his baby momma move in and it starts to lower their property value.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
And Bill doesn't want to live by Bubba, because he doesn't keep his property clean, and the family isn't a good influence on Bills family. Thats often a problem in AA areas. They let De'Quincent and his baby momma move in and it starts to lower their property value.
I understand your point, but I don't think it's necessary to be insensitive. "De'Quincent" could very well be the name of a well-to-do, educated man, and the "baby daddy" could be named John.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post

Houston is less segregated than other cities, but there are definitely historically black communities in Houston.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
And when whites see us they get the hell out of sight.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 AM

135 posts, read 335,254 times
Honestly in California I had no problem living in neighborhoods where blacks were the minority, but in Texas I was a little worried. Mainly because I am mixed and less than 1/4 black so most people don't know unless I tell them. Ever since I moved to Houston I learned to somehow mention that within the first few hours of meeting people here in Houston since many whites here seem VERY comfortable using the N-word when they don't think any black people are around. I'm talking about people at my job also!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,044 times
1/4 black..lol...the ones who are 1/2 hispanic and 1/2 white prefer to be called white....especially the hispanic politicians who are republican with the hispanic last name..

difference between historically black and modern, upscale black areas which there are few of

3rd ward by MacGregor Park has some nice homes but alot them are owned by politicians or folks who inherited money a long time ago and passed them down....but those homes needs work

There are just areas where we all move to but it was not developed for us and by us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston