Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 04:57 PM

21 posts, read 102,512 times

Advertisements

We are a family of four moving to Houston from Oslo, Norway this summer. We have two sons 14 and 12 years old. My husband will be working in zip code 77041. We plan to put our sons in public school. Our sons are interested in sports soccer, karate, off-road biking, rollerblades and golf. We are moving from a total different climate and culture. We look forward to this but have several questions:

1) Which grade are you in the year you turn 12 and 14 years?
2) How is the school day organized? Start/end and are all sport activities at the school? How much homework do they have after school?
3) The school summer vacation is 3 months. What do the kids do for 3 months besides having some vacation with the family?
4) We know that it is hot during summer. What do the kids do in the heat - stay inside all the time? What kinds of activites are possible in the heat?
5) We are looking for a neighbourhood were we can do our sports activities and not having to long time in commute into TX77041. Any suggestions? school is a very important factor when we choose where to live.
6) Finally the heat how bad is it….this is my biggest concern!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 06:30 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,011,743 times
Turning 14 = 9th grade - that is the first year of high school
Turning 12 = 7th grade - in many districts this is the second year of middle school/junior high school - in some districts this is the first year of middle school/intermediate school/junior high school

Now, since you will work in northwest Harris County, you will likely move into the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District, which has a lot of top-rated schools. Just pick a good area near your workplace, and you are set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunter View Post
We are a family of four moving to Houston from Oslo, Norway this summer. We have two sons 14 and 12 years old. My husband will be working in zip code 77041. We plan to put our sons in public school. Our sons are interested in sports soccer, karate, off-road biking, rollerblades and golf. We are moving from a total different climate and culture. We look forward to this but have several questions:

2) How is the school day organized? Start/end and are all sport activities at the school? How much homework do they have after school?
3) The school summer vacation is 3 months. What do the kids do for 3 months besides having some vacation with the family?
4) We know that it is hot during summer. What do the kids do in the heat - stay inside all the time? What kinds of activites are possible in the heat?
5) We are looking for a neighbourhood were we can do our sports activities and not having to long time in commute into TX77041. Any suggestions? school is a very important factor when we choose where to live.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,011,743 times
Wait, let me correct myself...

Turning 14 = 8th grade - in many districts this is the third year of middle school/junior high school - in some districts this is the second year of middle school/intermediate school/junior high school
Turning 12 = 6th grade - in many districts this is the first year of middle school/junior high school - in some districts this is the second year of middle school/intermediate school (This 2-year school is NEVER called junior high school - spans grades 5 and 6)

Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 PM

246 posts, read 891,382 times
I suggest you to look around 77064, about 20 mins to your husband's company. I know many friends from Norway, working at downhole drilling company, relocate to there.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:13 PM

278 posts, read 1,059,966 times
Quote:

Hello, I don't know exactly where your husband will be working, but I will tell you that we have had a good number of Norwegians come through our area. We live in West Houston, which is in the Katy school district. Good schools, great community, good shops, family area. It seems that the number of Norwegians, Scots, Brits, and Swedes has declined in the past few years, but several years ago, there were 3 Norwegian families living on our street! They were great! Look into neighborhoods like Green Trails, Kellywood, and Nottingham. Also, try Great Lakes and Cinco Ranch. Call the schools and ask about the Norwegian population; many engineers live out this way. I know that my Norge neighbors enjoyed living near one another. Best of luck, and we welcome you to Texas! lorilou

Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 PM

278 posts, read 1,059,966 times
Quote:

PS: The heat is wretched...no getting around that! Try to rent/purchase a home with a swimming pool...that helps and your kids will love to swim year round!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:18 PM

85 posts, read 349,337 times
All modern houses in the Houston area have air conditioning. All modern commercial buildings have air conditioning. Automobiles have air conditioning. Everything is designed for the hot climate.

The children will adapt quickly.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
Hello, I don't know exactly where your husband will be working, but I will tell you that we have had a good number of Norwegians come through our area. We live in West Houston, which is in the Katy school district. Good schools, great community, good shops, family area. It seems that the number of Norwegians, Scots, Brits, and Swedes has declined in the past few years, but several years ago, there were 3 Norwegian families living on our street! They were great! Look into neighborhoods like Green Trails, Kellywood, and Nottingham. Also, try Great Lakes and Cinco Ranch. Call the schools and ask about the Norwegian population; many engineers live out this way. I know that my Norge neighbors enjoyed living near one another. Best of luck, and we welcome you to Texas! lorilou
Thank you so much for your reply. I have been out of town for some days. Yes we have already focus on the Katy area. We will try to find out more about the neighborhoods you mention. We look forward to this new life in Houston. Regards Kunter

Old 02-04-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills View Post
All modern houses in the Houston area have air conditioning. All modern commercial buildings have air conditioning. Automobiles have air conditioning. Everything is designed for the hot climate.

The children will adapt quickly.
Yes we are aware to that but interested in getting knowledge about what the kids do when they are off school. We are used to be outside a lot. We will have a house with swimming pool. Thank for your reply.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:52 PM

59 posts, read 425,664 times
Quote:
Yes we are aware to that but interested in getting knowledge about what the kids do when they are off school. We are used to be outside a lot. We will have a house with swimming pool. Thank for your reply.
Hi Kunter,

I know you'll be working a good distance away from The Woodlands, but you may wish to look at the area just the same. We are moving there from South Florida (although my husband is originally from Greece) and we think it looks nicer and more upscale than Katy. Schools are excellent in The Woodlands plus there's LOTS to do there. There is tons of shopping and restaurants, a children's museum, public pools (which you need to be a resident of The Woodlands to enjoy), lots of beautiful parks, golfing, biking/hiking trails, lakes for fishing and of course beautiful homes at good prices. The Woodlands has a more woodsy, back-to-nature feel than Katy does and I know a lot of Europeans like that. It would probably be a good commute (at least a 1/2 hour) to Katy each way...but in my opinion is worth it.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston