Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM

26 posts, read 51,331 times

Advertisements

Gexa got us, too. Shot up to .22 last summer and we had a $500 bill in our 2400 sq ft house. We switched to Amigo Energy and locked in around .12 for 6 months. We have been happy so far. We are new to this switching power company thing and did a short contract to start. We'll go for a 12 month next time around and stick with Amigo if they offer something worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 AM

467 posts, read 1,185,468 times
My friends and I have been with Spark Energy for over 3 years now. We have been happy with it. Before your contract is over, they will send you an email and let you know and have you renew for a month, 6 months, or a year. If you're renewing your contract, they will give you a lower rate than new customers. This past summer, I did the monthly rate to wait for the 12 months rates to go lower. When it was at a good rate, I renewed for a year.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 20,342 times
Stream Energy has an 11.9 rate for 3 months - very competitive. When that period is near ending they will probably have a longer rate that is in line with everyone else.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,935,739 times
Anyone had any experience with StarTex energy? How about Dynowatt? How can you tell if a company is "secure" or not?

Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 AM

201 posts, read 914,518 times
I've been using Spark and have been very happy with them. I believe they require direct credit card billing (more cash on my rewards credit card!). To renew my contract, I simply had to log in and click to renew. Very simple. I've been using annual contracts with them at around 12-13 cents per KW.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times
Is the price per kwh based on market conditions or whatever the individual company wants to charge?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM

26 posts, read 49,562 times
Default Powertochoose.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Anyone had any experience with StarTex energy? How about Dynowatt? How can you tell if a company is "secure" or not?
Not sure why this isn't advertised or well-known, but check out Powertochoose.org. That site has rate comparisons by zip code as well as the most important tool when choosing: the complaint scorecard.

Customer Complaint Statistics

Based on that, we have been with Spark Energy for several years. They are one of the only five or so companies with the fewest complaints and lowest prices. Most of the other low price carriers have odd terms or lots of complaints. I figure they make their money by slamming or other trickery. Spark Energy seems to charge enough to turn a profit. And, they operate in several states, which makes me think they probably have enough capital to stick around for a while. I looked into starting a REP once, and I think all you need to start one is proof of $200k assets. Easier than getting a McDonald's franchise. And some of the REP's I called sound like they are run out of someone's spare room.

My $.02.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 6,438 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman33 View Post
DO NOT EVER CHOOSE YEP! They are terrible. They charged me $83 Energy Charge/Adjustment on top of my $0.28/kwh $106 bill this month. No explanation for the $83 is on the bill. What the heck is Energy Charge/Adjustment! They are crooks!
Hrmph, $0.28/kwh? What on earth did you sign up for to begin with? Damn, that's just the kind of bill that would make me slap myself for not asking these simple questions:

Questions to ask each provider:

What will I pay per "kilowatt hour" (kWh) of electricity based on 1,000 kWh of average monthly usage?

Does this rate include everything, including the electricity cost, the transmission and distribution charges, fuel charges, if any, as well as the monthly customer charge or other fees?

Is this offer a fixed rate offer or a variable rate offer? If it is a variable rate offer, how can it change and how do I find out when the rate will change?

Is there a contract and if so, how long is it for?

Is a deposit required and if so, how much?

What are my payment options?

What happens when my contract period expires?

What if I miss a payment?

Is there a penalty if I break the contract?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: