Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 31,747 times

Advertisements

Hello good people from Houston!

I will be relocating with my family to Houston within the next month. We currently enjoy recreational boating, and I was hoping someone could provide us with some more details regarding boating opportunities in the area.

We are looking at the Kingwood area, which seems relatively close to both Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston. I am leaning towards Conroe, because it seems a little bit closer and more built-up.

Can someone give me ideas as which lake has better amenities (marina, restouraunts, etc) and which one has better water quailty.

Also, are there any dangers to swimming in the water (hear stories of gators, snakes, etc, but I would like to know if there is a real risk).

Thanks for any comments/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 08:50 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I think Lake Conroe has better amenities--not sure about water quality, but Livingston is quieter and bigger.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondWind View Post
Hello good people from Houston!

I will be relocating with my family to Houston within the next month. We currently enjoy recreational boating, and I was hoping someone could provide us with some more details regarding boating opportunities in the area.

We are looking at the Kingwood area, which seems relatively close to both Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston. I am leaning towards Conroe, because it seems a little bit closer and more built-up.

Can someone give me ideas as which lake has better amenities (marina, restouraunts, etc) and which one has better water quailty.

Also, are there any dangers to swimming in the water (hear stories of gators, snakes, etc, but I would like to know if there is a real risk).

Thanks for any comments/advice.
If your interested in watersports (other than fishing) I would recommend Lake Conroe. If your pleasure is fishing then Lake Livingston. When Livingston was made it was flooded ... trees intact....super for fishing but not the best for swimming, skiing or tubing.

Conroe has several marinas...that offer wet and dry storage w/valet water drops. Plenty of restaurants...some offer docking & bare feet dining!

There are gators at both lakes...not to worry....they generally hang out in the deep wooded areas with little boat traffic. Don't let that be a deterent...snakes...of course...but again... there not hanging out where there is a lot of activity.

Happy boating...Sunny

Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 PM

93 posts, read 417,950 times
I like Lake Houston and Conroe, However, they are both shallow lakes and a bit dangerous. Livingston is deeper and bigger.

~Mark

Old 08-27-2008, 08:09 PM

37 posts, read 141,417 times
Default Define....

dangerous?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMontemayor View Post
I like Lake Houston and Conroe, However, they are both shallow lakes and a bit dangerous. Livingston is deeper and bigger.

~Mark
Conroe .... shallow & dangerous(?). where did that come from? We've never had a problem skiing & tubing...Sunny

Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Well I am partial to Lake Livingston but Conroe has some advantages. It is closer to work might be the most important one. From the bottom of Lake Conroe you are well under a half hour drive to Woodlands and all the employment opportunities. Lake Livingston you will have to travel quite the drive.

Water quality.... Livingston is stained brown mostly. Conroe is a tad clearer especially in deeper water. Conroe is very very crowded especially on holiday weekends while Livingston you can just about have the entire lake to yourself on 4th of July weekend. But it may just feel that way because Conroe is just 22,000 acres while Livingston is 90,000 acres. Im not as familiar with all of Conroe but Livingston - the whole northern end is almost unnavigable because it is maybe 4' deep at most. While 4' might be fine, it is filled with cut off stumps. These stumps make for awesome Bass fishing but is real hard on props if you pull a hole-shot. The entire southern end is quite deep with the deepest area at 77' just off the Cape.

I never seen a Gator in Conroe but I know they are there. I seen Gators in Lake Livingston in Cape Royal area but only in shallow waters. As for fishing, Livingston is generally known as the Catfish capital of the world. There are some massive giants come over the sides of the boat in Livingston. The Blue and Flathead Cats grow to over 100 pounds the Channel Cats dont seem to grow very much. Stripers in excess of 50 pounds are caught quite often. In my opinion Largemouth Bass are kinda tough to catch in Livingston.

There are just about the same amount of public Marinas on each lake. Conroe has more goodies to choose from like restaurants, stores and such. Both have an equall amount of gas pumps.

Prettiest lake? Lake Livingston hands down. So much nature and things to see. I wish the water was more clear but then fishing success would suffer with the game fish. We row out to Pine island which is about a mile round. We take the tent and set it up on the sandy shores. Nature at it's finest indeed. Talk about a peaceful sleep?

Camping? Wolf Creek run by the TRA is one of the nicest camp grounds in the USA and we are life long RVers so that is saying something. Conroe has 2 nice ones with the KOA on 105 and the one near Bentwater I think it is called Sunset RV park. Lake Livingston State Park is also a local favorite.

Hope that long winded post helped. Anymore questions I would be happy to answer for you.........

Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Lake Livingston State Park is also a local favorite.
Desertsun...Livingston State Park ...ROCKS!...Sunny

Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM

93 posts, read 417,950 times
I'm not very familiar with Lake Conroe so I may be wrong or I may have just been there when it was low. The times I have been there, the lake was pretty shallow and infested with stumps. I live on lake Houston and it is the same way. It's not necessarily dangerous if you know the lake very well and know where to boat and what parts to stay out of. I remember when I was younger and jet sking a pretty good distance away from shore I fell off and was in knee deep water (probably on a sand bar). Both lakes are great, you just have to learn them and be safe.

~Mark

Old 08-27-2008, 10:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
Desertsun...Livingston State Park ...ROCKS!...Sunny

You are right but I love Wolf Creek more. It is so out in the woods with expansive stretches of green green grass. It had 18 waterfront sites and I dont remember how many wooded ones. But they made dozens of extra spots to take on the Katrina people who might have been living in tents. The staff tells me they sure are glad they never came.

Plus I love my little town of Coldspring.

Lake Livingston State Park has several hundred RV sites, all under the canapy of trees. It has a first class marina with camp store and a super 5 story high tower you can climb up just to see the beautiful views. The walking trails follow the waters edge with foot bridges and benches to sit every half mile. You can get lost easy as I did.

Happy camping Sunny !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston