Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 06:05 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsthome View Post
Leaving the Commute apart, since I will be taking the Metro Park and Ride, Is Cinco Ranch worth the Hype? There is 50K difference for the same plan. I heard that 3 years ago Shadow Creek Ranch was expensive than Cinco. But today its totally other way around and that too a huge difference. I am wondering is Katy/Cinco Over hyped?
The Katy/West Houston area is much better than the Pearland/South Houston area. West Houston is booming while South Houston is pretty low income part of town. That may be part of the reason for why Cinco Ranch is more expensive, also it is more established.

I think the commute from Katy/West Houston into town will improve dramatically now that I10 is open. Especially, if you are going to take the park and ride bus.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
The Katy/West Houston area is much better than the Pearland/South Houston area. West Houston is booming while South Houston is pretty low income part of town.
I'm sure the many doctors, lawyers, and medical or energy professionals in Southern Trails and Shadowcreek who live in those $300-600K homes are really low-income losers in disguise, right?

Please, get real. Do some homework before making blanket statements like the one above.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:13 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
I'm sure the many doctors, lawyers, and medical or energy professionals in Southern Trails and Shadowcreek who live in those $300-600K homes are really low-income losers in disguise, right?
Please, get real. Do some homework before making blanket statements like the one above.
Agreed, good comeback

BTW; I live in Katy

Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:

And please read my post a little closer. South Houston and Pearland are very different areas. Would you recommend living north of Beltway 8 at 288? South Houston IS low income. Pearland is not low income. On the other hand, Katy/Cinco Ranch and most of West Houston is generally not low income. In fact many places in West Houston are more expensive than Katy/Cinco Ranch. I was simply trying to give the poster an idea of the general area. South Houston is generally a lower income area. And when I say Houston, I mean the city of Houston because some people refer to Houston as a wider ranging area.

I hope that was a good comeback as well usc619.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:02 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,765,482 times
Quote:
And please read my post a little closer. South Houston and Pearland are very different areas. Would you recommend living north of Beltway 8 at 288? South Houston IS low income. Pearland is not low income. On the other hand, Katy/Cinco Ranch and most of West Houston is generally not low income. In fact many places in West Houston are more expensive than Katy/Cinco Ranch. I was simply trying to give the poster an idea of the general area. South Houston is generally a lower income area. And when I say Houston, I mean the city of Houston because some people refer to Houston as a wider ranging area.

I hope that was a good comeback as well usc619.
That was a very legit explanation of your last post and I agree with you on the South Houston/West Houston comparison.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:29 AM

480 posts, read 1,699,779 times
Quote:
I spoke up because the subject of this topic was comparing 3 specific subdivisions. You threw the South Houston area in there, which was off-topic. The original poster may not be as familiar with the areas as we are, and might have been misled. I do believe you intended well, but as stated, your reply wasn't fair to Shadowcreek and Southern Trails.

There are subdivisions bordering the Katy area that have problems just like South Houston, but I refrained from pointing them out because it wasn't relevant.

I'm not trying to make any comebacks, so please don't be insulted.

Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I spoke up because the subject of this topic was comparing 3 specific subdivisions. You threw the South Houston area in there, which was off-topic. The original poster may not be as familiar with the areas as we are, and might have been misled. I do believe you intended well, but as stated, your reply wasn't fair to Shadowcreek and Southern Trails.

There are subdivisions bordering the Katy area that have problems just like South Houston, but I refrained from pointing them out because it wasn't relevant.

I'm not trying to make any comebacks, so please don't be insulted.
I think the general area in which the subdivisions is pretty relevent. There are some bad areas in Katy and West Houston like you said but South Houston is overall low income. That's not saying Shadow Creek and Southern Trails are more crime prone or worse than Cinco Ranch. However, the area between Pearland and the Texas Medical Center is pretty much all low income. While, the area surrounding Cinco Ranch and West Houston is higher income and booming. Personally, I think that information is relevent.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:22 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
Well, you could learn from my mistake. We bought a suburban home in a fair (not great) school district and it really hurt us at resale. The house was great but I will never buy another suburban house in any school district that isn't fabulous. Parents care a lot about schools and parents are usually the people who buy in suburbs.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 6,981 times
DO NOT BUY in SHADOW CREEK RANCH! So far have lost over $100,000 value to my home located in the STRAND area of SCR. We can smell garbadge every day and there have been assaults in the neighborhoods around us...Move further out away from the dump or better move across 288 to Silver Creek - taxes are much lower! Check it out...

Old 05-25-2009, 10:50 AM

51 posts, read 98,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaman1 View Post
DO NOT BUY in SHADOW CREEK RANCH! So far have lost over $100,000 value to my home located in the STRAND area of SCR. We can smell garbadge every day and there have been assaults in the neighborhoods around us...Move further out away from the dump or better move across 288 to Silver Creek - taxes are much lower! Check it out...
Sounds like a great time to buy based on your $100K price reduction (sellers POV). I live a little further west than you and have never smelled garbage. I haven't heard of any assaults in the neighborhood recently. I only heard of someone getting assaulted as they checked the mailbox over a year ago. My value has dropped over 20% from my purchase price in June '06, but I don't think that that is unique to the SCR area. It's a national problem.

You sound mad....sorry that you feel that way. Keep your property up in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston