Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,939,544 times

Advertisements

I actually happen to LOVE the transient nature of Cinco Ranch...it really adds to the diversity AND to the friendliness of neighborhoods. So few people are native Texan...in my opinion it makes everyone more welcoming of newcomers.

I may feel differently if we manage to live here more than a few years, but I lived in a rural county of Pennsylvania once where most people were 3rd, 4th, hell 20th generation residents...the area was KNOWN for its unfriendliness. I hated it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 AM

22 posts, read 50,278 times
These last 2 posts both offer interesting perspectives for me, re the relative friendliness and other pros/cons of a transient community. I've been wanting to move "home" to Houston for some time now. Unfortunately perhaps, I'm not considering any of my old neighborhoods that I have such fond memories of - West University, then Hedwig Village in Memorial (77024). Grandparents lived in 77005 near Rice U. and Hermann Park, the zoo, downtown. We were all over Houston back then, Dad worked for the biggest oil company downtown, we went to church on S. Main (near what is now the museum district) and we had friends we got together with in every neighborhood. Pearland, Katy, Conroe and Sugarland were WAY out, but easy to get to. Galveston was an hour max, Freeport only 45 minutes. (I'm dating myself, aren't I? Yes, somehow I got to be OLD, although I don't know when it happened. Am still a Peter Pan. I remember when they started building the 610 loop, and then flying all over it when I was a new driver at 16.)

After some college in Nacogdoches and Austin, and then living in wonderful places all over the country and BC Canada I discovered paradise - Santa Barbara and have been in that area (now in NW Ventura county CA) for 34 years. Even though I know you can't go home again, I have good reasons for wanting to move back to TX and closer to family now. I also know better than to tell Texans that I'm from CA. We never did buy and now even with the correction in the market we still can't buy anything I'd want to live in here, whereas there we could. So, we aren't the stereotypical Californians moving "back east" after selling our little crackerbox here for half a million to a mil.

One of my concerns about Houston is that no one is from there. I'd probably be the only native I'd know. I want to live among Texans again, and people who actually like Houston. It seems like everyone hates it, they're just there 'cause of a job. I think of it as a friendly place, and then wonder if it really is anymore. You 2 who posted here yesterday offer 2 very interesting perspectives on that.

I know this is my first post, but I've been reading threads on here for ages, especially about Cinco Ranch and The Woodlands. I want the trees, but also don't want to live in 'The Stepford Wives' neighborhood. Trails, or at least sidewalks that go everywhere are imperative. My dream community would be Peachtree City GA but in TX (you can get anywhere in a golf cart, or a bicycle, or a wheelchair). I never thought I'd want to live in the burbs, but want a sprawling suburban house and yard and a pool. I also want to be able to get somewhere other than to the community pool and tennis courts on those trails/sidewalks. I want to live in downtown Houston, with the metrorail within a few blocks, running all day and almost all night 7 days a week. I want to live where public transportation is safe and and fun, not something only "poor folks" use. I know how Texans love their cars, I did too for many years. I still do here, but we don't have traffic! To get anywhere I drive through some of the most beautiful scenery in the U.S., and stopping at a red light is what I consider "traffic". (Except when I go to LA of course.)

Why move? We can't afford a home here that is big enough to accomodate all of us and our online businesses and my son and all his wheelchairs and other "special" equipment. Our hills and mountains are almost as essential as oxygen for me now, but they're problematic for a kid in a wheelchair. If we could afford to buy in a nice neighborhood here we'd be on a hill with NO SIDEWALKS. (There are sidewalks here in the areas with tiny houses, and downtown, but not the "nice" neighborhoods except downtown Santa Barbara which starts at a mil for 1000 sq', and I want a nice, big, Texan sized yard and house. And, we need it.) There are trails, but they're bridle paths and no one takes their horses into town to go out to eat or go shopping, so the trails don't go into town. There are golf courses everywhere, but you aren't allowed to drive a golf cart on them to get to the market. I find the same problem all over TX.

Then I discovered The Woodlands' trails and fell in love. But - no useful, daily public transportation into downtown Houston. And possibly too many soccer moms and too much snootiness. (I am a soccer mom, but the team plays power wheelchair soccer.) I want to be able to get to Austin to see my sister, and my parents who are now in the DFW area, and my brother in N Houston without fighting city traffic for hours. I'd prefer being able to use a golf cart to run local errands. Most of all, I want a safe community that is wheelchair accessible for my son, where there is somewhere he can go other than around the burbs. His disabilities are not just physical, and yet he's very sociable and wants to be independent. But, crossing big, busy streets is not something he could every do safely. We're a lot older than he is and he's going to need family around someday.

This got too long, and it isn't the right place to post it is it? I just don't know where to start. I think I've Zillowed all over every nook and cranny in San Antonio, Waco, and many other cities in TX including of course the ones close to my family and can't find anything better for us than The Woodlands, but maybe I've missed something in Cinco Ranch, or Pearland, or ...? Thanks for your patience. I know this thread had basically dried up 'til yesterday; I'd already read many comments you 2 had both posted so you seemed familiar enough to pose my ridiculously confusing, LONG, question/s to.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,832,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes57 View Post
I also know better than to tell Texans that I'm from CA.

<snip>

I want to live among Texans again, and people who actually like Houston. It seems like everyone hates it, they're just there 'cause of a job. I think of it as a friendly place, and then wonder if it really is anymore. You 2 who posted here yesterday offer 2 very interesting perspectives on that.
I don't think Texans hate Californians as much as you think they do. In Austin, I once landed a great job just because I was from California, and that's in a city that supposedly has a lot of animosity for Californians.

Also, most people I know who live in Houston or its suburbs really enjoy and like the Houston area. There are some haters on this Forum but I don't think they are representative of all Houstonians.

I wish you well in making the decisions best for your family!

Old 10-25-2009, 03:35 PM

241 posts, read 585,962 times
hynes,
I read your post with great interest. I grew up in a tiny town in the midwest but lived in Houston in the early 90s when I was a student at Rice U. I remember so fondly all the wonderful native Texas people who welcomed me and really made me feel at home. Although I moved on to another state for graduate school I always carried such a fondness for Houston. Thus, now that I am married and ready to start my own family my husband and I chose to move back to Houston. He had never been here before we came to scope it out earlier this year, but in the few weeks we've been here he loves it.

I really think you and your family should come take a look at Cinco Ranch. We looked at The Woodlands too and while the trees are beautiful and I also like the sidewalk trails, it was just too remote, and had a bit of a more insular feel to it. However, Cinco Ranch has been just wonderful. Everything is close, commute into Houston is not bad at all (30 minutes for me to get to Rice during non rush hour), and the people are fantastic. The first day we moved in the neighbors literally lined up to meet us. It is a more transitory area because it's an oil area, but I think that's a good thing--you have a nice blend of native Texans whom I adore coupled with oil people who are outgoing and used to making friends everywhere.

At least in my neighborhood, your son could zip around pretty easily on the sidewalks and could get to some local shopping areas without too much concern for traffic. Plus we were able to get a 4000sf 5 bedroom (two down, which I guess you would prefer), 4.5 bath house with pool and spa, turnkey condition, in a great neighborhood with excellent schools for under $400K. We still marvel at what we got for the price. I think that would fit your criteria pretty well.

Anyway, I hope you will consider Cinco Ranch, and good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:59 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hynes57 View Post
These last 2 posts both offer interesting perspectives for me, re the relative friendliness and other pros/cons of a transient community. I've been wanting to move "home" to Houston for some time now. Unfortunately perhaps, I'm not considering any of my old neighborhoods that I have such fond memories of - West University, then Hedwig Village in Memorial (77024). Grandparents lived in 77005 near Rice U. and Hermann Park, the zoo, downtown. We were all over Houston back then, Dad worked for the biggest oil company downtown, we went to church on S. Main (near what is now the museum district) and we had friends we got together with in every neighborhood. Pearland, Katy, Conroe and Sugarland were WAY out, but easy to get to. Galveston was an hour max, Freeport only 45 minutes. (I'm dating myself, aren't I? Yes, somehow I got to be OLD, although I don't know when it happened. Am still a Peter Pan. I remember when they started building the 610 loop, and then flying all over it when I was a new driver at 16.)

After some college in Nacogdoches and Austin, and then living in wonderful places all over the country and BC Canada I discovered paradise - Santa Barbara and have been in that area (now in NW Ventura county CA) for 34 years. Even though I know you can't go home again, I have good reasons for wanting to move back to TX and closer to family now. I also know better than to tell Texans that I'm from CA. We never did buy and now even with the correction in the market we still can't buy anything I'd want to live in here, whereas there we could. So, we aren't the stereotypical Californians moving "back east" after selling our little crackerbox here for half a million to a mil.

One of my concerns about Houston is that no one is from there. I'd probably be the only native I'd know. I want to live among Texans again, and people who actually like Houston. It seems like everyone hates it, they're just there 'cause of a job. I think of it as a friendly place, and then wonder if it really is anymore. You 2 who posted here yesterday offer 2 very interesting perspectives on that.

I know this is my first post, but I've been reading threads on here for ages, especially about Cinco Ranch and The Woodlands. I want the trees, but also don't want to live in 'The Stepford Wives' neighborhood. Trails, or at least sidewalks that go everywhere are imperative. My dream community would be Peachtree City GA but in TX (you can get anywhere in a golf cart, or a bicycle, or a wheelchair). I never thought I'd want to live in the burbs, but want a sprawling suburban house and yard and a pool. I also want to be able to get somewhere other than to the community pool and tennis courts on those trails/sidewalks. I want to live in downtown Houston, with the metrorail within a few blocks, running all day and almost all night 7 days a week. I want to live where public transportation is safe and and fun, not something only "poor folks" use. I know how Texans love their cars, I did too for many years. I still do here, but we don't have traffic! To get anywhere I drive through some of the most beautiful scenery in the U.S., and stopping at a red light is what I consider "traffic". (Except when I go to LA of course.)

Why move? We can't afford a home here that is big enough to accomodate all of us and our online businesses and my son and all his wheelchairs and other "special" equipment. Our hills and mountains are almost as essential as oxygen for me now, but they're problematic for a kid in a wheelchair. If we could afford to buy in a nice neighborhood here we'd be on a hill with NO SIDEWALKS. (There are sidewalks here in the areas with tiny houses, and downtown, but not the "nice" neighborhoods except downtown Santa Barbara which starts at a mil for 1000 sq', and I want a nice, big, Texan sized yard and house. And, we need it.) There are trails, but they're bridle paths and no one takes their horses into town to go out to eat or go shopping, so the trails don't go into town. There are golf courses everywhere, but you aren't allowed to drive a golf cart on them to get to the market. I find the same problem all over TX.

Then I discovered The Woodlands' trails and fell in love. But - no useful, daily public transportation into downtown Houston. And possibly too many soccer moms and too much snootiness. (I am a soccer mom, but the team plays power wheelchair soccer.) I want to be able to get to Austin to see my sister, and my parents who are now in the DFW area, and my brother in N Houston without fighting city traffic for hours. I'd prefer being able to use a golf cart to run local errands. Most of all, I want a safe community that is wheelchair accessible for my son, where there is somewhere he can go other than around the burbs. His disabilities are not just physical, and yet he's very sociable and wants to be independent. But, crossing big, busy streets is not something he could every do safely. We're a lot older than he is and he's going to need family around someday.

This got too long, and it isn't the right place to post it is it? I just don't know where to start. I think I've Zillowed all over every nook and cranny in San Antonio, Waco, and many other cities in TX including of course the ones close to my family and can't find anything better for us than The Woodlands, but maybe I've missed something in Cinco Ranch, or Pearland, or ...? Thanks for your patience. I know this thread had basically dried up 'til yesterday; I'd already read many comments you 2 had both posted so you seemed familiar enough to pose my ridiculously confusing, LONG, question/s to.

It's weird that you aren't considering your old neighborhoods. Maybe it's the price issue, but those really are the areas with the most natives...most in love with Texas...those who take Houston for it's bad and good, and have no problem living side by side with it's bad and good. I don't know one person around me that "hates" Houston. We all have issues with it and it's weather June-August, but most are happy to be here.

TW was perhaps the most un-native Texan place I've ever been. And most were not happy to be there and pining for home.

I'm third generation through my Dad. I still get confused every once and a great while with the I-10 entry ramp changes, and find myself going north on the Beltway, rather than West on I-10. that entry bugs me!

I understand the mobility issue, and the sidewalks are spotty in Houston. But in those big sprawling burbs, you going to have to go miles to get from you house to anywhere those sidewalks lead. Good luck, but honestly, look in Rice Village if you can do it. Parts of Bunker Hill are close to everything as well, with good sidewalks.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 AM

alwaysflyin - thrilled to pieces to hear from you! I'd read all your posts on "can we revisit... Woodlands vs Katy..." and several other threads, and have been wondering how your move went. I'm glad to hear you're both happy there, actually relieved to know that your husband loves it too. I appreciate your warmth, your enthusiasm and fondness for Houston. Yes, your new house sounds wonderful and just like what I want. It's hard to find one anywhere with two bedrooms downstairs, and it would be ideal for us.

I can't believe the prices there. Then again, about 6 years when I first started looking in TX, they were so much lower. I better hurry up. I will definitely come look at Cinco Ranch - SOON! Maybe I'll send you a private message, just in an attempt to be concise here. (Ha! Me - concise? Unlikely.)

and EasilyAmused - I feel like I know you too, have seen you all over the place. You have an insight that is somewhat rare, being 3rd generation. Me too, also through Dad. "Grandparents" were actually relatives who adopted Dad when he was orphaned during the depression, and they were pretty old to become parents at that time. Granddad moved there from TX farm just after 1900 and Grandma a few years later.

My 40th high school reunion will be next year - 2010. Can't even believe I know someone that old, much less that it's me. I haven't lived there since 1970 but still love it, the old and the new, and can accept the good, bad and the ugly. Well, I kind of wish the developers hadn't leveled so much of the old, but at least they've spared some of the nicest parts. (Houston's developers are notorious far and wide.)

You're right, it is weird that I'm not considering my old neighborhoods, and you're also right that it's mostly the price issue. Dad sold the Hedwig village house 21 years ago and a few years too soon, after Mom died and he remarried and moved to Arlington. Who knew such a short time later what a primo acre in Hedwig would be worth? They scrimped to buy it for about $28K in early 1966.

They actually lost money on the West U. house. After 12 years there I think they sold it for $10,500, and it was a big problem that they didn't get $500 more, the price they'd paid. (Or something like that, within $500 I know for sure.) It had settled, had foundation problems. Black gumbo. Who knew a few years later there would be a McMansion there, almost to the lot line?

I'd love to live around Rice. In fact, one of my dream homes is currently for sale - 1 Longfellow Lane, only $12.5 mil, at the corner of Main St. I've looked in that neighborhood for a few years now, and it would be hard to find anything that works for us and is affordable. I want room for a garden and fruit trees plus a long list of other trees (magnolias, crape myrtles...), a pool that isn't in the shade, at least one huge bedroom and bath downstairs plus lots of storage for son's "stuff" (it takes a lot of equipment just to get in/out of bed, take a bath...). I'm still looking and will continue to.

That area would be ideal in many ways, one of them being the metrorail IF we could actually use it. The train works for us out here but we don't need it for getting around the city. There, it would be very useful. Most folks can't imagine how difficult it is to drive everywhere in a big van and actually find a handicapped parking space with enough room to unload a big chair. The spaces are usually taken by little old ladies who had knee replacements years ago and just don't want their new car to get scratched. If anything happened to our van, I don't know how I'd get him and his 450 pound, $30K chair home. He can't ride in a cab, he can't sit up. I don't worry about stuff like this here, and wouldn't want to worry about it there. I'd rather just not take the van everywhere.

My ideal Saturday could be something like start at the zoo, then a museum, Discovery Green or another downtown park and just cruising around downtown, dinner, a live show in the theatre district, or a concert back at Miller Theatre, or something at Reliant Park, or... there is so much to do "down there". Rice, Houston's downtown community college, UH downtown, they're all on the rail, as well as the medical center where I was born before it was a "medical center", which we need convenient access to. I've actually thought of a condo along the metrorail line, and a place on a lake outside of town. Lake Livingston looks affordable right now. Just don't think I could become the condo type. I still want my first big suburban McMansion, before I downsize.

But, safety is a concern for my son. He is so naive and could never manage this downtown big city stuff by himself. He might not ever be able to go anywhere alone, and I'm probably just dreaming, but I picture life in a small city with a town square, all shops are locally owned and one of a kind (we don't do big box stores anyway), good restaurants, a park for people (as opposed to just a soccer park) with benches and fountains near the town square, or around the courthouse, and he goes to town every day and visits folks.

Guess what, almost every small town I've looked at in TX has no sidewalks even on the oldest residential streets a few blocks away from the center of downtown. McKinney came closest, but it wasn't really what we want, and it's so far north for us. Plus, the small cities don't have the services a kid and later an adult like him will need.

You're right of course, I know most of the sprawling burbs aren't like this ideal small city I imagine, and you have to go miles to get anywhere. Usually when you get "there" it's a gigantic parking lot that isn't safe for a kid in a chair to cross, and it's mostly just big box stores or a strip mall. However, in TW I found houses I liked that were affordable in the northern part of Grogan's Mill and NE part of Panther Creek that were within 1 to 2 miles of the center of Market St. (I've actually mapped the distance from dozens of houses, and cruised along the streets using online street view maps, seeing where the trails come in and out, looking for stop signs in strategic places.)

We also prefer rock, blues and country to jazz. (Well, my son doesn't. He tells me to turn my old people's music down. What's wrong with this picture?) Your description of The Woodlands is exactly what I don't want, and I usually think of it as jazz versus the blues. (Jazz is okay, it's a state of mind, an attitude that I'm referring to.) I think I'll go back and look around "the village" west of Rice again, and Bunker Hill. We were masters of the universe on our bicycles in West University. Weren't supposed to cross Bissonnet or Kirby but we did anyway. That area could work, but so much for so little land. And how safe is it?

Bunker Hill, I've walked every inch of it. When I transferred from Pershing to Spring Branch Jr High we walked everywhere from Hunter's Creek to Piney Point to Hedwig to Bunker Hill villages, and then we learned how to hitchhike. Riding a bike wasn't cool in Memorial then, but I rode one to Sandalwood Lake many mornings to watch the sun come up (couldn't really see it, too many trees but the birds were great company).

Someone suggested, and I am currently looking at zip 77079. I'm seeing a lot of surprisingly almost affordable, beautiful homes and yards on streets I remember, but I'm not seeing the sidewalks, not many, not yet. Maybe they just don't matter, maybe he never will be able to go out alone and maybe I'm dreaming about getting out much in Houston other than in the car w/ AC on. We are pretty spoiled in that regard. I think any temperature is fine as long as it's between 66 and 78, which it usually is here (and about 10 - 15 degrees cooler at night). We don't even have AC! Almost no one does here.

I know there are many nice days there. I actually was brave enough to go home (to Austin this time; home can mean TX, or Houston) this past July for a family reunion and survived my first 100 plus temps in 22 years, only my second time in 34 years. (I've gone home a lot, just not in the summer.)

Maybe relying on getting around by walking and using public transportation year round as much as I imagine..... that's not really doable there. In that case, we don't need sidewalks as much as I think we do. And 77079 is close enough to get to "town", then leave the van at a park 'n ride (is that safe, and is it possible to find parking there on week-ends, main time we'd go?). This opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

When I left at 18, I was "long gone, and in a hurry". Now I may be the only one who ends up living in our old stomping grounds, making up for lost time after all these years away. How ironic.

EasilyAmused, Is your dad as old as I am? What part of Memorial are you in? And Cherokee County, is that where the Lion is? When I first went to college in Nacogdoches I had never heard of a dry county. I’d jump in someone’s car to go to the Lion on Friday night and for weeks I thought the Lion was the name of one of those little shacks in the piney woods where they’d buy liquor. Eventually I figured out it was the county LINE. Do you live there too?

I'm thinking out loud way too much, that isn't what this forum is for and I apologize. It probably won't let me post something this long. I thank you both for your input.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
If you are really considering the Westside of Memorial, I have a few suggestions.

One, things have changed a lot over here. The old Town & Country Mall was knocked down and a Town & Country Village and a CityCentre were erected. You basically have blocks of sidewalked, landscaped roads and a planned lifestyle center. IF you you look at a map, from West Bough to the Beltway, and from Memorial all the way to I-10 is solid retail, eateries, brownstones, lofts, office space, movie theater and a Lifetime Fitness. This could be a safe, clean and good social outlet for anyone wheel chair bound. It's more sterile than Rice Village, but I think it could afford a similar lifestyle with smoother sidewalks.

So..go with me here. Fonn Villas, somewhere close to the Bendwood Park. It's all sidewalks into that CityCentre/TC area. Fonn Villas has really changed and McMansions are being built in there. Also, Memorial Bend east of the Beltway. McMansions being built in there too. Crossing at the West Bough light over to the retail. A Memorial Express bus runs all the time to downtown and the rail lines. Assisted Metro Runs along Memorial as well.

If you wanted to go farther west to around Wilcrest or Kirkwood, there are no sidewalks in the neighborhoods, but they aren't needed. No one speeds. Everyone knows each other so if you did speed, your name would be mud for a 15 block radius. It's like small, old town Houston. Most people are native in tere...went to UT and went to High School at Stratford, Memorial or the now closed Westchester. There are quality sidewalks down Memorial, and retail to the west, but it's not nearly as nice as the Town and Country area.

Another thing to consider is that they reworked Buffalo Bayou out there. There are miles of beautiful paved pathways. Access from Major streets for those in wheelchairs. But I see wheelchairs and the special racing bikes on the path all the time.

My Dad is in his early 70's. My parents were married young and got busy quickly. They bought a house in the boonies, outside the loop in Tanglewood, when it was just cow pasture. I'm one of 4 kids, which isnt' a large family, but a good size one. I laugh at those that call 3 kids a big family. We grew up sharing bathrooms and the boys shared bedrooms!! Can you believe people did that? LOL

PS- to answer your question,I live and work in Houston, I LIVE and play at some land I have in Cherokee County.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 10-26-2009 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Doing 5 things at once gain.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,709,384 times
Great post EA.

Memorial Plaza has sidewalks (on some streets) in 77079. It's at Memorial & the beltway with large lots (average size aroung 12,000 sq ft) & mostly one story homes built in the 60's. Hundred year old native tree's everywhere. Mostly native Houstonians with A&M and UT flags on every other house.

Like EA said the bayou has wonderful paved trails for miles & miles. If you lived in a neighborhood backing to the bayou, he'd have easy access from your house. (Wilchester, Memorial Glen, Rustling Pines, Nottingham Forest) The only catch is that these neighborhoods don't have sidewalks. I live here & it's not a problem as far as double wide jogging strollers, women walking in groups of 3's each toting Fido, and little kids all over the place in riding toys. Once your son is old enough to navigate on his own, I think he'd be just as safe as all our other street walkers & riders. Cars here go super slow & there aren't many cut through streets for speeders anyway.

There is a covered Metro bus stop at the entrance of most of the neighborhoods along Memorial, and I *think* they are wheelchair capable.

I like living in a very international city & making friends from all over the world, but living in Memorial gives you a nice homey feeling if you're a native Houstonian. You get to come home to people who can chat about Houston stuff like cruising Westheimer in the 80's, or discover that you went to summer camp in the 70's with your next next door neighbor daughter, or realize that the older man down the street was a brief partner in your Dad's oil & real estate venture back in the day, and so on. It feels like home & it's a good feeling.

Just my $.02!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 AM

EasilyAmused - thank you again. I am going to zoom in on that part of Memorial you're referring to, and explore it. Last night I was close, but am always attracted to places with the most acreage and trees so got distracted away from Town & Country. Priorities have changed, and as I remembered as soon as I woke up - sidewalks DO matter.

Thanks for the heads up on the Express bus. That's exactly what I want. From Spring it takes hours (on weekends with limited service, and from a house in TW), but this is much closer, and a shorter drive, possibly a stroll to get to it.

I drove us there and back last year, my first road trip home in many years. (It's been a long time since I could fly home with my son so he was overdue for a slice of TX.) We went around Memorial City, the high school, and of course up and down my old street very near the HS. The trees were still just as beautiful, but as I already knew had happened, 3 mansions where one funky ranch had been on most of the old lots.

The back of the van was clamoring to get on the road after a few weeks of driving around TX so I cut short my first trip to Memorial in 21 years and wish I'd spent more time there. There were cranes everywhere (one of my vivid mental pictures of Houston, and something I almost never see here). Inbound traffic on I10 going east at 4 PM was a parking lot, guess that was due to the improvements I've heard about, under construction at that time. For that reason I didn't see all this, we headed west and I've been looking in my rear view mirror ever since.

I've seen from birds eye view maps how Kirkwood - Wilcrest has aged nicely, bigger and more trees now, looks well kept and good to know no one speeds. Sidewalks along Memorial Dr - imagine that.

So that's what Stratford is. Had heard of it, but didn't know Westchester closed. It opened my senior year or there would have been almost 1000 in my class (as if we were competing wth Bellaire). Being a boomer was fun, we pretended to be hippies. How great it would be to live among the natives :-)

There was always that "bigger is better" attitude there. We were actually proud of Houston's growth stats. What a culture shock it was for me, moving to Santa Barbara and learning they had a zero growth policy. In the 34 years since I first settled there it has only increased by about 10,000 people, and 11% (in spite of no growth policy).

Buffalo Bayou - will go take a peek. This is great info. I remember well the cow pastures out in the boonies; I thought we were moving to a farm the first time Mom took me house shopping in Memorial. Your parents made a good choice in Tanglewood, you grew up in a nice place. Mine started young too and all five of us shared a bathroom 'til I was 14, sister and I always shared a bedroom even in Hedwig. How primitive. Good thing we didn't know.

Grandpa was the entrepreneuer - investor of the family. He owned tons of land "way way out", on Westheimer, got tired of waiting for the boom he knew was coming someday and sold it to farmers for a song.

I'm terrible at being self-employed. On 3 webinars, looking at maps, typing this, and doing a few other things simultaneously. Thank you so much!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:49 PM

241 posts, read 585,962 times
hynes57, thank you for your kind comments, and please do feel free to PM me. sbhubbell, another poster in this thread, would also be a great Cinco Ranch resource. She was very helpful to me when I was looking. Again, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston