Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,859,073 times

Advertisements

I'd look at Cinco or areas nearby if we worked in/near the west side of town. I'd look at Pearland if we both worked in the TMC or elsewhere on the south side.

Being that one of us works in Sugar Land, and I was working in the TMC, we chose Sugar Land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't think Texans hate Californians as much as you think they do.
I agree... I think it's generally exaggerated. Maybe it's worse in Austin than here because that city really has grown too fast for what it can seemingly handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Also, most people I know who live in Houston or its suburbs really enjoy and like the Houston area. There are some haters on this Forum but I don't think they are representative of all Houstonians.
This is my experience, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I actually happen to LOVE the transient nature of Cinco Ranch...it really adds to the diversity AND to the friendliness of neighborhoods. So few people are native Texan...in my opinion it makes everyone more welcoming of newcomers.
Maybe it depends on the area... like others said, many of the older, closer-in areas seem to have more natives. I don't run into many native Houstonians out in the Sugar Land area, but there are lots of native Texans. Also lots of newcomers from out of state and even other countries. In the older areas, like Sugar Creek and areas near US 90, there are people who have lived in Sugar Land for 25+ years when it used to be the middle of nowhere. In the newer subdivisions, you'll see more non-natives, but also natives who are upgrading to newer homes with more amenities from the older Sugar Land subdivisions. Seems to be a very nice balance of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,058,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I'd look at Cinco or areas nearby if we worked in/near the west side of town. I'd look at Pearland if we both worked in the TMC or elsewhere on the south side.

Being that one of us works in Sugar Land, and I was working in the TMC, we chose Sugar Land.

I agree... I think it's generally exaggerated. Maybe it's worse in Austin than here because that city really has grown too fast for what it can seemingly handle.

This is my experience, as well.

Maybe it depends on the area... like others said, many of the older, closer-in areas seem to have more natives. I don't run into many native Houstonians out in the Sugar Land area, but there are lots of native Texans. Also lots of newcomers from out of state and even other countries. In the older areas, like Sugar Creek and areas near US 90, there are people who have lived in Sugar Land for 25+ years when it used to be the middle of nowhere. In the newer subdivisions, you'll see more non-natives, but also natives who are upgrading to newer homes with more amenities from the older Sugar Land subdivisions. Seems to be a very nice balance of people.
Sugarland is a great choice.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,258 times
We are considering moving to the Cinco Ranch area from Shadow Creek Ranch. We've been here for right at 5 years and will be lucky to break even on the sale of our house. I am concerned with the number of apartments popping up around the development. I think there are now 4 very large apartment complexes feeding into Marek Elementary with a 5th under construction. They have managed to keep an exemplary rating for the last 3 years but I'll be surprised to see them maintain it. The problem with Cinco is that they are expanding so fast the schools are continuously overcrowded and can barely keep ahead of new residents. We have friends on the west side of Cinco there that said they are currently rezoning and the fighting is pretty bad. Not sure what we want to do - we want to leave Pearland but it seems every suburb has it's problems.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley-hou View Post
We are considering moving to the Cinco Ranch area from Shadow Creek Ranch. We've been here for right at 5 years and will be lucky to break even on the sale of our house. I am concerned with the number of apartments popping up around the development. I think there are now 4 very large apartment complexes feeding into Marek Elementary with a 5th under construction. They have managed to keep an exemplary rating for the last 3 years but I'll be surprised to see them maintain it. The problem with Cinco is that they are expanding so fast the schools are continuously overcrowded and can barely keep ahead of new residents. We have friends on the west side of Cinco there that said they are currently rezoning and the fighting is pretty bad. Not sure what we want to do - we want to leave Pearland but it seems every suburb has it's problems.
What's your price range? If you are tempted to move to the way west side, and if your budget allows it, maybe you could move to Memorial 77079. Great schools and no new development.

The values being stale and even going down a bit in Shadow Creek aren't really because the apartments, but because everyone paid market prices for new builds in the past 5 years.

I remember seeing values in Shadow Creek much higher 3-5 years ago when things where good. People where buying like crazy. Now the home values are more in par with the rest of West Pearland. It's still a very good area. Those apartments are rarely ever less than $1000 a month for a 1 bedroom. I don't see them doing much harm to the area.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 PM

201 posts, read 915,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley-hou View Post
Stale home prices are part of the tradeoff you typically make when moving to the suburbs, particularly for new construction. You would have faced the same issue if you bought a brand new house in a Katy suburb. Until a suburb is completely built out, you're competing against brand new homes. A potential buyer could probably buy your EXACT same house for the same price you paid, so why would they pay more for your house?

I do understand your concern about apartments though. I lived in apartments for many years and don't have a problem with them per se. I just don't want any close to where I live, and I'll leave it at that.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM

480 posts, read 1,701,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Those apartments are rarely ever less than $1000 a month for a 1 bedroom. I don't see them doing much harm to the area.
A suggestion: look closer. They do hurt an area. Even the Pearland City Planning Dept. admits it, which is why they've instituted a moritorium on granting building permits to any new multi-family housing units within the city limits. (Note: New is the operative adjective there; any multi-family complexes already planned have been grandfathered, which is why the ones around SCR are still moving forward.)

Old 03-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
A suggestion: look closer. They do hurt an area. Even the Pearland City Planning Dept. admits it, which is why they've instituted a moritorium on granting building permits to any new multi-family housing units within the city limits. (Note: New is the operative adjective there; any multi-family complexes already planned have been grandfathered, which is why the ones around SCR are still moving forward.)
You are right. It's good to limit them in you want to maintain a certain level.

But as for the values, I was referring to the current apartments around the area. I don't see the current apartments hurting the values.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:42 PM

480 posts, read 1,701,437 times
Quote:
You are right. It's good to limit them in you want to maintain a certain level.

But as for the values, I was referring to the current apartments around the area. I don't see the current apartments hurting the values.
Speaking frankly, things such as increased traffic, increased noise, and increased crime all come with nearby multi-family housing - regardless of how 'luxury' the complex markets itself. Many people (me included) do think those type of things hurt property values. And the affect is cumulative, as more of these complexes go up in an area.

Last edited by Timnwendy; 03-02-2010 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-02-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Speaking frankly, things such as increased traffic, increased noise, and increased crime all come with nearby multi-family housing - regardless of how 'luxury' the complex markets itself. Many people (me included) do think those type of things hurt property values. And the affect is cumulative, as more of these complexes go up in an area.
I agree.

All i'm saying is that the value of shadow creek and others has already factored in the current apartments. The current market value and price per square foot has already factored in things like apartments, new shopping, current traffic, etc. The current apartments aren't a surprise to anyone, so I don't see how it could hurt values anymore than it already may have.

If more apartments pop up, then it would hurt values. But I do find it hard to believe that the current apartments would negatively affect the home values from this point forward. Unless things change and they start lowering rent to the $600 range. Silverlake has had some apartments towards the front off 518 for about 10 years now. It's done little to nothing to hurt values.

Don't get me wrong, overall I agree with you.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 AM

51 posts, read 98,711 times
Quote:
I agree.

All i'm saying is that the value of shadow creek and others has already factored in the current apartments. The current market value and price per square foot has already factored in things like apartments, new shopping, current traffic, etc. The current apartments aren't a surprise to anyone, so I don't see how it could hurt values anymore than it already may have.

If more apartments pop up, then it would hurt values. But I do find it hard to believe that the current apartments would negatively affect the home values from this point forward. Unless things change and they start lowering rent to the $600 range. Silverlake has had some apartments towards the front off 518 for about 10 years now. It's done little to nothing to hurt values.

Don't get me wrong, overall I agree with you.
Been here since '06. I personally don't mind the apartments. I think they are a necessity if west Pearland is going to progress as a viable community. Not everyone can afford a single family home and some people are in a more transient situation. Also, if we are going to feed TMC we will need apartments to house residents, med students, and entry level medical professionals. Another reason to not be "anti" apartments is b/c of the economic support that they bring to this area. If we want retail to increase around here we need occupied units (also having localized rental units will help provide workers for any new/existing business that is/will locate(d) in/to Pearland). This will help to sustain and promote retail around the community.

Note: My comments above assume that these apartments remain market rate and that they are maintained properly. Anything short of that can/will have an adverse effect on our community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston