Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:23 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
There were tons of car break-ins & a few stolen cars and a couple forced entries in my apartment complex that cost $800 for a 1/1. One shooting. There were homeless people, teenage panhandlers & hookers on the perimeter sometimes. It looked nice in the daytime but it wasn't so great at night. I just had bad luck at my place though. I experienced this over about 16 months.

San Diego right now is running about $1,600/mo for a garage apartment, or 400 sq ft efficiency. I was there recently and pulled some fliers for grins. A 2/2 900 sq ft condo in SD is about $650,000 to purchase. Rents are close to $3,000/mo for those.

I'll let others chime in here to support what I've said, about Houston at least.
Ok, I was open ears up until this point. DUDE, NO lol..I'm from San Diego. $1600? NO. For a decent, bare minimal studio, in San Diego..you CAN find it for $800-1000. Now, for my taste..I would probably end up paying $1200 for a studio..and that's in a nice area too.
I was hearing you on Houston..but San Diego.I know about. That's not true. I'm not sure where you are looking.
Maybe Houston is expensive because you are living in the super posh areas? I'm not sure. But that amount of rent sounds INSANE!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Ok, I was open ears up until this point. DUDE, NO lol..I'm from San Diego. $1600? NO. For a decent, bare minimal studio, in San Diego..you CAN find it for $800-1000. Now, for my taste..I would probably end up paying $1200 for a studio..and that's in a nice area too.
I was hearing you on Houston..but San Diego.I know about. That's not true. I'm not sure where you are looking.
Maybe Houston is expensive because you are living in the super posh areas? I'm not sure. But that amount of rent sounds INSANE!

I was down by Little Italy. Hardly seemed posh to me but it was pretty nice.

But no, my $800 1/1 was not posh in the slightest. I guess that's a relative term though. Again, I'll wait for others to chime in so they can tell you the same thing. You can also look in some of my previous threads.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I was down by Little Italy. Hardly seemed posh to me but it was pretty nice.

But no, my $800 1/1 was not posh in the slightest.

Ahhh now I see. Yeah man..Little Italy is PRICEY! When did you live there? They have totally revamped downtown San Diego. It's gorgeous now. It's like the hotspot from what I heard.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Ahhh now I see. Yeah man..Little Italy is PRICEY! When did you live there? They have totally revamped downtown San Diego. It's gorgeous now. It's like the hotspot from what I heard.

Didn't live there; I visited & stayed in a hotel there recently. We walked around & pulled flyers for grins and that's the $$$$ we saw. Very close to San Francisco prices! You're right though - San Diego is absolutely a fantastic town!!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Didn't live there; I visited & stayed in a hotel there recently. We walked around & pulled flyers for grins and that's the $$$$ we saw. Very close to San Francisco prices! You're right though - San Diego is absolutely a fantastic town!!
Oh.. Yeah..They go for even MORe than $1600 down there sometimes. I want to live back in SD b/c of my mama..and funny thing...she's from Houston originally..but I really like Houston everytime I visit. The quality of life seems much better down there.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:17 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
You can find decent one-bedrooms in the $625-900 range inside the loop, studios/efficiencies/garage apartments for a bit less. I don't know about outside.

You will want to look at the University of Houston for college. It's a relatively inexpensive commuter school, but it has some good departments. There are others, but they're pricey and more selective.

Quote:
I'd expect that much with 3-4 years experience and a move to another company. As a retail grunt, they will lowball hardcore, and give you raises at the rate of inflation. (Benefits can be good & almost 'free,' however.)
It probably depends on the company. That's what my friend at Anthropologie in Highland Village started at, and I've had family members working at Home Depot tell me that's around what they start new hires out at. I had some friends some years ago making around $8 at Urban Outfitters in Rice Village.

You can probably look on Craigslist to get some idea of retail wages.

Last edited by houstoner; 09-05-2008 at 10:42 PM..

Old 09-05-2008, 10:22 PM

As long as I live within 10 miles of Houston itself..I rather get an apt that is more affordable Esp. if I will have a car. SO this sounds decent. I am going to look into the University of Houston now. I'm interested mainly in Nursing.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:51 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Retail sales starts out around $10-12 an hour, I think. Management is of course higher. As for your bf, I would think so. One thing you can always count on in Houston is somebody somewhere will be demolishing and constructing.
The only problem with demo/construction here is that the wages are driven down by illegal labor. Why would you pay a guy from the NE who knows what he's doing when you can get a guy off the work line and pay him 25% of the money for a similar job.

If he speaks spanish and knows what he's doing someone would probably put him in charge of a crew right away.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
It probably depends on the company. That's what my friend at Anthropologie in Highland Village started at, and I've had family members working at Home Depot tell me that's around what they start new hires out at. I had some friends some years ago making around $8 at Urban Outfitters in Rice Village.

You can probably look on Craigslist to get some idea of retail wages.

Yeah you're right; it does depend on the company. Home Depot was a popular summertime workplace for college guys back in the day when I was going. It paid them well was because the young uns got stuck with some back-breaking work at times. It did help them work off that summertime partying though.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:02 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Job market is good.

You would probably like an area called Midtown.

You will still need a car though... just get something small and maybe used, you would get a better price. Even if you luck out and don't have to drive it daily, you will need it at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston