Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,630 times

Advertisements

Thanks, I appreciate all of the information. We haven't had very good news coverage here. I hope everything is ok in Dickinson and your family has a safe return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I am in TN and watching several different news sources, both local Huston's KHOU and national news stations like TWC and Fox (mostly a joke, but still some info and pictures) as I have family that evacuated from Dickinson and went to The Woodlands. I have been taking notes for a few hours now.
From what I am getting so far All feeder roads along I-45 are impassable now. I-10 has parts of it that are fine, just north of Baytown but haven't heard or seen anything east and west of there.
Clear Lake area is pretty bad off as far as flooding.
I hear last night that the poop deck lost its front porch or deck (It was from Giraldo, so who knows about the exaggeration level there) but haven't heard anything since about it.
Galveston's court house has 3 feet of water in it.
Flood warnings all over including Hobby and Bush as well as other towns around there.Pretty much all of Galveston County.
A lot of homes on 40th street caught fire and are burned.
The memorial for those who perished during the 1900 hurricane is gone.
In Alvin along Hwy 35, it is believed a small tornado went through and a lot of debris but there were several cars in the background of the news cast that seemed to be moving along fairly well.
Sorry, my notes are written based on around Dickinson which I haven't heard much of anything about.
Surfside has had a chlorine leak and they are trying to clean that up, Lord only knows how they are going to accomplish that though.
Buffalo bayou and most other bayous around Huston have run over thier banks, however KHOU has not had any reports of homes around those bayous having flooding due to the bayous going over thier banks, just the roads.
Some of this info may be old news or of no interest to some, if so I apologize, hopefully this is useful to someone.
If I hear/see more important info I will post.
I sure hope jefre81 is still with us just without power. Maybe he is getting some much needed sleep.
Good luck everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 AM

124 posts, read 303,162 times
Any news about The Woodlands? Have lost communicatin with my family there, wonder if they are okay.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambina View Post
Any news about The Woodlands? Have lost communicatin with my family there, wonder if they are okay.
No, this is where my family has evacuated to also. Right now they are getting some of the southern bands of rain and wind. Good news is it is down to a cat 1 and reported wind gusts are less than 50 mph. I figure it will be another hour or so before it clears out enough so reporters can asses and report how they faired. From what I can gather though from other reports from a bit east and west of North Huston, I think they will be fine, just no power. Lets hope this is correct!
Cell service there is not going through, but if and when I do hear from them, I will be sure to ask about the conditions there and let you know. Please do the same if you hear.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:49 AM

124 posts, read 303,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
No, this is where my family has evacuated to also. Right now they are getting some of the southern bands of rain and wind. Good news is it is down to a cat 1 and reported wind gusts are less than 50 mph. I figure it will be another hour or so before it clears out enough so reporters can asses and report how they faired. From what I can gather though from other reports from a bit east and west of North Huston, I think they will be fine, just no power. Lets hope this is correct!
Cell service there is not going through, but if and when I do hear from them, I will be sure to ask about the conditions there and let you know. Please do the same if you hear.
Thank you so much! And yes, I will do the same.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:59 AM

Just got a broken/scratchy signal call from Mom in The Woodlands, All I caught was they were OK. I told her to save cell battery and call me back in a few hours. Sorry, no chance to ask about neighborhood cause I couldn't understand what she was saying even if I did ask.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:16 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
I just checked the Houston Chronicle website and it said power is out all over the place -there in Houston. I also tried several times to access the Lakewood Church website and it is down. I am guessing the power has been cut to their server(s).

Old 09-13-2008, 11:39 AM

KHOU just now reporting that The Woodlands is in a heavy rain band and it will be there for about an hour. They are saying that there will be road flooding but no reports and they don't believe this will cause water in homes. They are not saying anything about any wind or wind gusts so I am assuming they are not planing on any wind damage as well. This is good news.
There is a convoy of 500 trucks that are heading into Huston from San Antonio to start clean up and road clearing. This too is good news for all of Huston areas.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,802,810 times
Here's a great service offered by the Red Cross where you can search for friends or relatives to insure that they are safe... or, for those in the affected areas, to be able to register yourself so that those searching for you know that you are, indeed, safe!

Just a note 'though, to clarify... if you're loved ones haven't had electricity and/or phone service... and have not been able to register yet, you won't be able to find them on the list, so don't start worrying... they most likely are A-OK... just have lost communications for the time-being!

https://disastersafe.redcross.org/

Also, you might want to keep a tv/radio watch/listen on the stations Bowie posted earlier.

See: //www.city-data.com/forum/5246983-post444.html

Best to you and yours!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 09-13-2008 at 12:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
My heart goes out to everyone who stayed in Galveston and all my family members and class mates in the area. Houston's like a second home to me. Most of the students at Prairie View A&M left... I was one of them. I'm comming back tomorrow. I hope everyone's ok.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Our street got power back about 30 min ago. I am happy to say that the hurricane wasn't as bad as anticipated for those residents who live further inland. No one on my street was hurt, and damage has been minimal with one leaky roof, a few torn down backyard fences, broken tree branches and minor street flooding. I took this picture at about 10am. We are thankful to have been spared the worst, but concerned for those closer to the coast.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5/davidtr1/IMG_1161.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston