Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
bestfriends.org

For Katrina, Best Friends took care of my cats in Tylertown, MS. It was a month or so before I was able to locate and pick up my babies, and when I drove up to the makeshift animal shelter, I cried. There were many, many tents and cars with license plates from all over the U.S. It was amazing to see the number of volunteers who were sleeping outdoors in the heat and humidity of Mississippi. Dogs were housed individually in very large chain-link type kennels. There were three cabins. One for the vet office, a mess hall and a facility for cats. It was quite amazing. I was surprised at the security (you just couldn't walk in) and the organization. I was brought to someone who had personally taken care of my cats and who gave me information about their stay. They took pics of our reunion and tried to give me soft-sided cat carriers, but I had brought my own. The cats had been well taken care of, had been given shots and vitamins and not a dime was asked of me. I gave them a donation and it was taken with genuine surprise. It is a shame to say that my cats never looked healthier. And when we walked out of the cat shelter someone with a bullhorn announced that pets had been reunited with their owner, and out of nowhere, at least 50 people walked up to us clapping and cheering. I still donate to Best Friends.
That is the awesomest story ever. Some people from my mom's company based out of Seattle went to Tylertown to volunteer with Best Friends, setting up the yurts and stuff. I read all about it, but it's so great to hear someone that really benefited from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Hooray - power finally back today. Lost some shingles (but fortunately no leaks ... yet), a tree, and 6 ft. of fence leaning. All in all, not bad. Very fortunate.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:15 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cla View Post
bestfriends.org

For Katrina, Best Friends took care of my cats in Tylertown, MS. It was a month or so before I was able to locate and pick up my babies, and when I drove up to the makeshift animal shelter, I cried. There were many, many tents and cars with license plates from all over the U.S. It was amazing to see the number of volunteers who were sleeping outdoors in the heat and humidity of Mississippi. Dogs were housed individually in very large chain-link type kennels. There were three cabins. One for the vet office, a mess hall and a facility for cats. It was quite amazing. I was surprised at the security (you just couldn't walk in) and the organization. I was brought to someone who had personally taken care of my cats and who gave me information about their stay. They took pics of our reunion and tried to give me soft-sided cat carriers, but I had brought my own. The cats had been well taken care of, had been given shots and vitamins and not a dime was asked of me. I gave them a donation and it was taken with genuine surprise. It is a shame to say that my cats never looked healthier. And when we walked out of the cat shelter someone with a bullhorn announced that pets had been reunited with their owner, and out of nowhere, at least 50 people walked up to us clapping and cheering. I still donate to Best Friends.
Best Friends (near Kanab, Utah) is an incredible organization. I just finished reading their quarterly magazine. I've been supporting them for about 5 years. Many who work at or run animal shelters have trained at Best Friends. I hope Best Friends can help southeast TX and west Louisiana, as there are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of lost pets, just as with Katrina.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planintomove View Post
For those who have expressed concern, I just got a call that the dog is fine and someone is going to feed him..

Just thought I would pass on some info in reference to pets that were left behind. I just heard on the news that the Houston SPCA is caring for any of these animals that need it. If you had to leave them behind, call SPCA, give them the address of where the pet is, they will go get the pet and make sure it is cared for it until you can come and get them.
This is awesome of them I think!
All the pets that are being found on Galveston Island are also being rounded up and being cared (closer to the island than Houston I believe they said) for until their owners can be reunited with them.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:31 PM

74 posts, read 447,918 times
My aunt has a home in Galveston in the Terramar development that is just a few blocks from the beach. She is still without power & internet and asked me to find out anything I can for her. Does anyone have any information on Terramar? Thank you.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:16 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
whats the deal with the curfew? I need to get some work done (investment banking woes) and I need to work in downtown up to 11pm, walk to my car and drive home, all within Harris County. will i get in trouble with the law? I dont mind getting a little hassled by the police, but would they actually lock me up?
Yes, you will be considered a felon.

Seriously, the news channels have said it was partially for your own protection. I imagine it could have something to do with downed trees in some areas, downed powerlines, etc.

The other reason was to prevent a spike in crime. They said there were windows blown out of businesses so a curfew would prevent looting, etc.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:06 AM

684 posts, read 2,110,253 times
[quote=tstone;5283179]Y'all can sit down now... daddy's here. [quote]

You are such a nightmare....So glad you are back...(I reserve the right to slap 'ya later!!) Luv ya nightmare boy!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 AM

181 posts, read 642,979 times
When people get power and post online, can they put in their zip codes? Thanks! I'm in 77034. Centerpoint website shows most of that area as restored, but all the lines to my apartments are busy. It may still be out.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:58 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Yes, you will be considered a felon.

Seriously, the news channels have said it was partially for your own protection. I imagine it could have something to do with downed trees in some areas, downed powerlines, etc.

The other reason was to prevent a spike in crime. They said there were windows blown out of businesses so a curfew would prevent looting, etc.
Yep, i was stopped and had the spot light on my face lastnight. weather was quite cool so i had my hands in my pocket and that kinda freaked the cop a bit. I told him I had to fix some problem at <bank name> and he ordered me to walk straight to my car. I guess I better go home early today. i did dress a bit decently today just in case

Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Yep, i was stopped and had the spot light on my face lastnight. weather was quite cool so i had my hands in my pocket and that kinda freaked the cop a bit. I told him I had to fix some problem at <bank name> and he ordered me to walk straight to my car. I guess I better go home early today. i did dress a bit decently today just in case
There ya go. Pull your pants up and stop looking so suspicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston