Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Are the Canyon Gate communities in the new Atascocita High zone or the Humble High zone? I know further down is mostly the new school...I have family in the area further east and they've mentioned that most folks should steer clear of HHS, especially for resale value. Any one know for sure?
Canyon Gate in Humble is zoned for Humble High School. I have heard both good and bad about Humble HS. ??? There is a new HS going in just down the beltway, Summer Creek HS, and I am not sure if Canyon Gate will go there when it opens in 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 02:25 PM

381 posts, read 1,234,114 times
Flood insurance for non flood plain areas run about $500 per year......

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownybaby View Post
Flood insurance for non flood plain areas run about $500 per year......
I think that depends on where you live...I can see the Houston Lake from my house and our flood insurance (we live in a no-flood zone) is only about $350 per year.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar21 View Post
I am building a First Texas house in Canyon Gate @ Park Lakes in Humble. Is there anyone here with info and advice about either First Texas or the community itself. Thus far everything with First Texas has been good. I came across a lot of bad press and horror stories about First Texas after the fact, but again, so far so good with the building process. Neighbors around the house have been there for approx 2yrs and love it. My only hold up now is trying to get them to contribute more money since homes around the area are selling for less then what I signed for. Any advice good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
I just have to ask...why did you decide here instead of Summerwood (First Texas builds there as well)? I don't know what the resale value is for this CGC, but it seems like living that close to the landfill (which you can see from parts of the community), and being butted up to the not so nice community directly behind the school wouldn't help matters. Not to mention the only grocery store nearby is a Super Wal-mart. I pass through this community and by the landfill twice a day 5 days a week, and it boggles my mind why anyone would buy there.
(I mean no offense...I am sure your home is lovely).

Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,835 times
[quote=ilovbearc;831010] Check to see what flood plain your on. A 100 year flood plane in tiddlywinks. Remember, even if its a 100 year flood plain, that just means its guarrenteed to flood at least once within 100 years.

Actually a 100 year flood plain means you have a 1 in 100 chance of flooding every year, not a guaranteed chance of flooding every 100 years. A 500 year flood zone means you have a 1 in 500 chance of flooding every year.

I do however agree that everyone should check to see if you are buying in a flood plain,(either 100 or 500 year) as we get torrential rains around here. Elective flood insurance (available to areas not in a flood zone) only cost a few hundred bucks a year, well worth the $ as you never know when a catch basin etc can clog.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
I am building a First Texas house in Canyon Gate @ Park Lakes in Humble. Is there anyone here with info and advice about either First Texas or the community itself. Thus far everything with First Texas has been good. I came across a lot of bad press and horror stories about First Texas after the fact, but again, so far so good with the building process. Neighbors around the house have been there for approx 2yrs and love it. My only hold up now is trying to get them to contribute more money since homes around the area are selling for less then what I signed for. Any advice good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
First Texas homes are kinda cheap in the material, but i guess alot of builders are like that. I had an issue with the carpets becoming wavy or not stretched properly after living there for like 6 months. The walls scratch very easily. The sink is cracking from the drain area. They must have tightened too much. Insulation is a bit poor as i noticed that when i went to the attic. Also, make sure the inside of the toilet bowls aren't cracked since i had to get that replaced before i moved in. I guess for the price, it ain't too bad. You do get what you paid for though.

The community HOA was $935. I have since moved further intown, but i had lived at Canyon Gate at Brazos for like 3.5 yrs in a First Texas home.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
[quote=Lake Conroe resident;6216994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovbearc View Post
Check to see what flood plain your on. A 100 year flood plane in tiddlywinks. Remember, even if its a 100 year flood plain, that just means its guarrenteed to flood at least once within 100 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovbearc View Post

Actually a 100 year flood plain means you have a 1 in 100 chance of flooding every year, not a guaranteed chance of flooding every 100 years. A 500 year flood zone means you have a 1 in 500 chance of flooding every year.

I do however agree that everyone should check to see if you are buying in a flood plain,(either 100 or 500 year) as we get torrential rains around here. Elective flood insurance (available to areas not in a flood zone) only cost a few hundred bucks a year, well worth the $ as you never know when a catch basin etc can clog.
I thought it meant that you have a chance of being flooded every 100 yrs or so.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,835 times
I thought it meant that you have a chance of being flooded every 100 yrs or so.[/quote]

That's a popular mis-conception; If you do a little research on the subject you will find out that it really means.
100 year flood zone= 1 in 100 chance of flooding every year.
500 year flood plain= 1 in 500 chance of flooding every year

Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I just have to ask...why did you decide here instead of Summerwood (First Texas builds there as well)? I don't know what the resale value is for this CGC, but it seems like living that close to the landfill (which you can see from parts of the community), and being butted up to the not so nice community directly behind the school wouldn't help matters. Not to mention the only grocery store nearby is a Super Wal-mart. I pass through this community and by the landfill twice a day 5 days a week, and it boggles my mind why anyone would buy there.
(I mean no offense...I am sure your home is lovely).
We selected this community for a few reason. 1st we wanted to go with the gated community concept, and other then Fall Creek (very expensive) its one of very few around. 2nd We looked into Summerwood and found it to be a lot more expensive then Canyon Gate. 3rd Although Summerwood is only a few more min's down the beltway, we really did not want to go passed Wilson Rd. and, When everything was all said and done, we decided to get a bigger house, on a premium lot, in a gated community for the same price as we would have spent on a reg house in Summerwood. Summerwood is very nice, but that was our selection. As far as the landfill, can not see it from our section and in reality, several communities are near by and we really just do not travel that way. The beltway is really as far north as we go. Walmart turned out to be a good thing, as we do most of our grocery shopping there already. No offense taken!! Now, we just have to see if we made the right choice. Only time will tell...

Old 11-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
When everything was all said and done, we decided to get a bigger house, on a premium lot, in a gated community for the same price as we would have spent on a reg house in Summerwood. Summerwood is very nice, but that was our selection. As far as the landfill, can not see it from our section and in reality, several communities are near by and we really just do not travel that way. The beltway is really as far north as we go. Walmart turned out to be a good thing, as we do most of our grocery shopping there already. No offense taken!! Now, we just have to see if we made the right choice. Only time will tell...
I totally understand your position!! I live further north in Walden. We looked in Summerwood first as well...it was $25,000 more just for the base price of the same house! So we built in Walden instead. But now I am wishing we hadn't. I am currently trying to talk my husband into moving (to Eagle Springs actually) because I don't like where Walden as a community is going. We pay more for amenities we don't use, I feel there are safety issues for my daughter as there are no sidewalks in my neightobrhood, etc. This was stuff we just didn't notice when we built our house. Not sure my husband is willing to move in this economy, so I guess time will tell for us too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston