Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

My sister is in Houston. No power, no food, no water. Fema won't help becuase she's not a homeowner. She lives paycheck to paycheck, and her job is out of power, so she has no paycheck. All of her food spoiled. I can not send her money. She lives off of 518 between Harris and Brazoria County in Pearland. I've been on the phone an hour w/ the Red Cross on hold. I can't even help her find a shelter w/in a reasonable distance of her home.

I just want to help her find food and water aide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM

260 posts, read 904,341 times
I wish I could help; I'm in Austin. Are they taking evacuees from Houston? Can she go to a shelter?

Old 09-15-2008, 05:04 PM

I'm trying to get her to go to a shelter. She seriously can't really even afford gas. Many of the shelters are full, and they just send you to the next one, which if full. You can't call ahead, they are inundated with calls. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:15 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Ice, food and water should be available to anyone who needs them at these locations:

Announced POD Locations

The following locations are Points of Distribution (POD's) supplying ice, water and meals (MRE's) for residents.

. Old Kroger Location, FM 2920@HWY 249, Tomball
. Greenspoint Harvest Time Baptist Church, 17770 Imperial Valley
. Community of Faith, 1023 Pinemont
. Fountain of Praise, 13950 Hillcroft
. Texas Southern University, 3600 Rosewood at Scott
. Ripley House, 4410 Navigation
. Zion Lutheran, 3606 Beauchamp
. Jim Fonteno Courthouse Annex 14350 Wallisville, Channelview
. PAL Gym, 2910 E. Southmore, Pasadena
. New Life Fellowship Church, 2104 Underwood, La Porte
. San Jacinto Community Center, 604 Highland Woods, Highlands
. West Town Mall, 4100 Decker, Baytown
. Baytown Courthouse Annex, 701 West Baker, Baytown
. Windsor Village, 6000 Heatherbrook,
. Greater Jerusalem, 8901 Jensen
. Raul C. Martinez Annex, 1001 S. Sgt. Macario Garcia
. Football Stadium, Center@San Augustine, Deer Park
. Second Baptist, 6400 Woodway
. Bay Area Community Center, 5002 NASA Road One, Seabrook

Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 PM

She was actually turned away from a POD becuase she doesn't own a home. I couldn't believe that was true! I spent an hour on the FEMA website and phone. Fema will only assist homeowners.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
From what I am hearing (and I have been watching all this VERY close, have family there as well who are without power, water at the moment) they are not turning anyone away who drives/walks up unless there is nothing left to give. They are limiting only two bags of ice and 2 MRE's and a case of water per person. That is why they are saying that don't come down and say you have 10 people to take care of, that they need to come too.
FEMA will help renters and anyone who is out of work who can not claim unemployment. She needs to call the number and file a claim no matter what. But that help does take weeks to get to her. It is impossible to get thousands and thousands of people help in 1 day, it takes time to process these claims and to make sure people aren't trying to work the system.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:17 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
From what I am hearing (and I have been watching all this VERY close, have family there as well who are without power, water at the moment) they are not turning anyone away who drives/walks up unless there is nothing left to give. They are limiting only two bags of ice and 2 MRE's and a case of water per person. That is why they are saying that don't come down and say you have 10 people to take care of, that they need to come too.
FEMA will help renters and anyone who is out of work who can not claim unemployment. She needs to call the number and file a claim no matter what. But that help does take weeks to get to her. It is impossible to get thousands and thousands of people help in 1 day, it takes time to process these claims and to make sure people aren't trying to work the system.
FEMA: Apply For Assistance

I couldn't find any information regarding assistance with lost salary/wage on Fema website. Can you provide additional information/links? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:38 PM

5 posts, read 14,610 times
You can file for disaster unemployment through the Texas Workforce (Texas Employment Commission) if you are unable to work due to power outages/flooding and your employer is not paying you.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
the POD sites don't turn anyone away.

as far as I am aware, FEMA does not assist with lost wages, but can provide other types of assistance.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
FEMA: Apply For Assistance

I couldn't find any information regarding assistance with lost salary/wage on Fema website. Can you provide additional information/links? Thanks.
Here is the link: FEMA: Additional Assistance
And here is the section on that page where I got the info.

The Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) program provides unemployment benefits and re-employment services to individuals who have become unemployed because of major disasters. Benefits begin with the date the individual was unemployed due to the disaster incident and can extend up to 26 weeks after the Presidential declaration date. These benefits are made available to individuals not covered by other unemployment compensation programs, such as self-employed, farmers, migrant and seasonal workers, and those who have insufficient quarters to qualify for other unemployment compensation.

I hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston