Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:18 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
But has that area experienced gentrification?
That area has always been upscale and it always will be. The city makes sure of that with all the money they pump into it to impress all the visitors they stay in the hotels in the district. For this area to go ghetto you would have to make it affordable for the ghetto people to move in. I live in what would be the lower priced mid rises and I pay $1500 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Based on what you said, I can't see the mall going ghetto.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:31 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,806,411 times
The Woodlands mall has thuggish folks too.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
Why do people have to always go around saying, "That's racist!". Its called observations.

I know a number of black, hispanic, asian, and white friends and family friends who would agree with me in my (and others) description of The Galleria.

No need to make a race issue out of everything, people are just saying things like they see it.
Ah yes, the classic, "I have black friends" counter.

Ever heard of a concept called self-hatred?

I'm going to go ahead and assume you're Caucasian, but if you aren't, apply this to whatever race you might be. If a white person went around saying he hated himself and all white people because they were all arrogant, oppressive, slave owners and slave owning sympathizers, does that make it true? By your logic it is because, "hey, a white person said it."

It never ceases to amaze me how some white people think that one person should speak for all of us, particularly the person that happens to share their views. Until you're opened your mind and have spent massive amounts of time with people of all backgrounds, you are not entitled to make blanket statements. I've spent significant time with everybody from professors at UT to people that many would label as "ghetto" and I can attest that most of those "ghetto" people are just people like you and I, trying to make it day to day. They just happened to be born into different circumstances.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 05-02-2011 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

I'm going to go ahead and assume you're Caucasian, but if you aren't, apply this to whatever race you might be. If a white person went around saying he hated himself and all white people because they were all arrogant, oppressive, slave owners and slave owning sympathizers, does that make it true? By your logic it is because, "hey, a white person said it."

It never ceases to amaze me how some white people think that one person should speak for all of us, particularly the person that happens to share their views. Until you're opened your mind and have spent massive amounts of time with people of all backgrounds, you are not entitled to make blanket statements. I've spent significant time with everybody from professors at UT to people that many would label as "ghetto" and I can attest that most of those "ghetto" people are just people like you and I, trying to make it day to day. They just happened to be born into different circumstances.
Exactly. These people kill me suggesting the Galleria is ghetto or going ghetto. You guys have no idea what ghetto is if you truly believe that statement.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Ghetto is a word that is used out of text and out of context.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM

171 posts, read 414,251 times
The Uptown/Galleria area has a pretty solid foundation of wealth that I don't see decreasing for a very long time, regardless of what kind of people walk around in the mall or who stares them down.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM

Malls get alot of "window" shoppers as well. So we have to look at that fact as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:42 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRBoyd91 View Post
The Uptown/Galleria area has a pretty solid foundation of wealth that I don't see decreasing for a very long time, regardless of what kind of people walk around in the mall or who stares them down.

^^^
This

Old 05-04-2011, 11:15 AM

433 posts, read 701,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

True, but when you feel a game of oppression olympics brewing while walking by some people, then you feel it's "ghetto". It's just a matter of partaking or not.

I don't think people would feel "ghettoness" if they just walked on by, but they stare, snicker or comment so you could hear. I know everyone wants to get noticed(bling, bright color clothing, frosty whites), have attention and it comes in many forms. Kids I get, but when grown adults are involved, that's "ghetto".

It happens all the time--DMV, court, mall, etc.--you know that, "...i've paid my dues, you're encroaching on my territory" look. That is "ghetto" and is not just one observance.

"Ghetto" is not a color, it's a state of mind and these people choose to create that image. Not the other way around.

This goes for all backgrounds--even self-oppressed people--don't get it twisted.

Last edited by pach84; 05-04-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston