Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:11 PM

484 posts, read 467,791 times

Advertisements

I haven't read through all nine pages of responses so forgive me if I'm covering other ground. I moved here from Ohio a little more than a year ago for my job and area-native girlfriend and really do enjoy it here. Other than not having Midwestern fixtures such as White Castle and having to get used to the accents (I have something of a northern one myself that my future in-laws get a kick out of), I feel very much at home here.
A huge number of Midwestern transplants helps. I think I meet someone with Ohio or Midwest ties almost everywhere my work takes me, and in my first few months here that was a great comfort as I was happy to be with my girlfriend but missed home immensely.
Traffic sucks, but by far the worst thing about living here is the humidity. The heat is doable, but being from Ohio I don't know if I'll ever get used to walking out into a steam bath at 8 a.m.
I live in the suburbs now (League City/Friendswood area) and other than for work or an occasional trip for something special (i.e. a ball game or to go visit people), find no need to go much beyond 10 miles from home for anything.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:00 PM

25 posts, read 62,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr39 View Post
Hi everybody,

I am researching a possible move to Houston next year for my husband and I. However, it seems like everybody bags Houston. One woman even used the word "detest" after she had lived there for 5 years. Is it really that bad or is this the experience of some people stuck out in the burbs....

Both my husband and I would have good jobs - he is an oil & gas engineer and would be transferred there as an expat with his company and I am a lawyer and hope to get a job with one of the big law firms. We intend to live very inner city - preferably near a park if possible.

The general criticisms seem to be: you have to drive everywhere, it is unbearably hot and humid, it is very conservative politically and it is very sprawled and ugly.

Why do people dislike Houston so much? Surely other cities must also have some of these negatives but aren't criticised so much. All these negative reviews are making me consider our move....is it really that hot? As hot as Dubai for example?

So come on, what are the good things about Houston? What makes it "cool"?

thanks!

Houston is actually a very nice city, the housing markey is perfect and the weather should not be a major factor for those hating a plce or not, I am from California and making my move to texas soon because of the opportunities that exist here.

The best advice I can give you is to visit houston and gather your own ideas, people are different and we all don't like the same things.

Good luck!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:35 PM

191 posts, read 560,137 times
Houston is a good place to live. I'm a Texas native. Born and raised in San Antonio and moved from Houston to WA State in 2000. Would not be here if it were not for Hubby's job. What would you like to know?? Email and I'll give you an info. GLuvsCats@aol.com

Old 01-13-2009, 08:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
I don't know, but people can keep on disliking and just move on back home ... makes more room for the rest of us who are happy here.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
I used to hate it when I first moved here ... but it's growing on me! (don't tell anyone!)

Old 01-14-2009, 01:10 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
fabulous. well, there you have it. That sounds like an episode of sex and the city, houston edition. its not exactly something i'd pay to see because it doesnt take much imagination to know theres alot missing in that picture that it would be a hard to sell as a TV show. I'm sure there is no way I can convince you that youre missing a lot and that no-big-deal-you-need-a-car reasoning is actually a big firkin deal in the dating world. its just another "houston's the farthest I or my my husband can take me so suck it up we still rule" attitude. take yourself to NYC, figure it out and I assure you'll be more alive with your stories. no repeats. give yourself a manicure - its cool there. work for the man, get a window seat at the 28th floor overlooking the river traffic. take a moment to let that sink in everyday. make a reservation and have lunch at the United Nations building where the delegates personal chefs show off their talents to the rest of the city. sniff that in. walk there. how about a club/bar on a ferry? on a weekday! then get off at another partying neighborhood, even near chinatown, on the same night. how about get dragged to a friend's friend's friend amateur stage show or musical recital or reading or whatever youre really not into but just went anyway because *you never know* and because youre now officially part of the NYC. surely theres a lot more you havent heard of (and that i can tell you about) when it comes to the lifestyle i think youre looking for. even the love and hate relationship with ugly-beautiful NYC is truly different than what you have with houston. you have to be there to undertand....Carrie

ok back to my own self. I live in "chinatown", its out of the way and yes there is "chinese" food here. none of that asian town liveliness of the streets, marketplaces, hidden gems and latenight dining that comes with the word "chinatown". and really, only use an ethiopean to choose food from their own region. mr bourdain wont make that mistake
gym. i only had time for gym during the slowest time of my life. nothing else to do, steady relationship, was with long time friends. i was 19 and won a few trophies including best pecs (i was that bored). coming to the US I now have money to try all the "x-gamer" sports the region has to offer. the problem is houston doesnt seem to have any and bicycling wont do it for me. so i bought a gym set (darn). I'll be travelling too to get my fix of something better. we're doing hawaii soon and i'm snowboarding in utah this winter

I am not sure if you know the meaning of detailing when it comes to cars. I wouldnt trust mine to the any guy with any carwash corner. same goes for my other cars other aspects. I race cars, regionally and nationally. I hold a few titles in the NE. the NE also have more interesting race courses, all the way down to NC. I cant say the same for the houston region but i'm hopeful with the new tracks being built right now (probably enough people got bored)
so you like cheap labor huh. you know in "third world" countries regular people actually have maids? we had 5 when I was growing up, they used to sing us to "power naps" not engine noise. they do the grass too BTW. point is cheap help mean depressed surroundings and we got it here in houston.

anyway, we're in sort of the same page. i get you (putting my girl thinking hat). can I still be sort of content like you but not singing praises about houston? is it really that exciting for you? well we have different goals i guess hence different views of this city.
I gotta tell ya, NYC is definitely not the end all city you think it is. I have friends currently or formerly living in Houston from Paris, London, Buenos Aires, Perth, Istanbul and Moscow to name a few. They all love it here.

London kills NYC in culture and the nightlife in Buenos Aires compared to NYC is like comparing a jet to a paper airplane. Personally, while I do like NYC, it is still American and there just seems to be more of what I can get or do in Houston. And that's fine, but extra quantity in no way makes me want to trade out. If I was to 'upgrade' my city of residence, please see the list in the second sentence for my choices. Notice NYC is not included.

And while the fast paced aspect of NYC is fun to me, it's readily noticeable by me that a high percentage of people in NYC are actually "acting" like they are in a hurry. I guarantee if Bono were to walk out of his apartment in front of them, they would forget what it is they were acting to be in a hurry for anyways.

Last edited by coog78; 01-14-2009 at 01:47 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 02:40 PM

27 posts, read 128,531 times
Default advise...

... do not tell anyone you are from out of town, or out of state...

Old 01-14-2009, 06:49 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
Sprawl
Ugliness
Flat
Scrubby
Dirty beaches close by
Tons of integration problems
Non-existent zoning
Horrible Traffic
Climate too harsh 75% of the time
Bugs, & lots of them
Illegals
Smog
Lack of relevant historic places
High crime
Bad sport teams
Strip malls galore
Too many 'cookie-cutter' homes
Cars, cars, and tons of all you can eat buffets

A sample of the not so great...

Much better cities in the USA.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 PM

200 posts, read 1,067,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
Sprawl
Ugliness
Flat
Scrubby
Dirty beaches close by
Tons of integration problems
Non-existent zoning
Horrible Traffic
Climate too harsh 75% of the time
Bugs, & lots of them
Illegals
Smog
Lack of relevant historic places
High crime
Bad sport teams
Strip malls galore
Too many 'cookie-cutter' homes
Cars, cars, and tons of all you can eat buffets

A sample of the not so great...

Much better cities in the USA.
i think the inner houston loopheads should be on top of that list. they really believe they got it better and all of it in one city, and of course that texan redneck superiority complex and/or excaping louisiana big head effect bundled with it. audiences of their claims could only scratch their heads a few times then hate for their ideas (not the city) just brews then flourishes from there

Old 01-14-2009, 10:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
People (like the latter 3) love to hate or don't really know too much about Houston to begin with.

Oh and the inner loop really is pretty cool. Most people just don't live there, so they don't really have a point of reference. It's about the package buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston