U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation to larger metropolitan area, Houston Texas possibility, play golf, outdoor sports, occasional trips to the beach, safety of city, dining out options, good food

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM

4 posts, read 10,595 times

Advertisements

I'm 31, an attorney, and generally an outgoing person. I'm currently in OKC, and am looking to relocate to a larger metropolitan area, find a career, meet someone, and generally just make some improvements in my life. OKC has always been my home, but it's become too small, and I'm ready to do something bigger and better.

With that mindset, I've come across some opportunities in Houston, but know nothing really about the area. I have a friend from there who tells me that as a single person, I'd want to live inner-loop, but really hasn't told me anything else about the city.

My question is for someone like me moving into the city, does Houston offer a lot? Is there plenty to do so that there is opportunity to meet someone? And beyond that, my interests include my work, the occasional round of golf, sports of any sort, great food, the occasional trip to the beach. How does Houston do in terms of those things? And safety...how safe/unsafe is the city in general?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 PM

3,567 posts, read 4,291,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1977 View Post
I'm 31, an attorney, and generally an outgoing person. I'm currently in OKC, and am looking to relocate to a larger metropolitan area, find a career, meet someone, and generally just make some improvements in my life. OKC has always been my home, but it's become too small, and I'm ready to do something bigger and better.

With that mindset, I've come across some opportunities in Houston, but know nothing really about the area. I have a friend from there who tells me that as a single person, I'd want to live inner-loop, but really hasn't told me anything else about the city.

My question is for someone like me moving into the city, does Houston offer a lot? Is there plenty to do so that there is opportunity to meet someone? And beyond that, my interests include my work, the occasional round of golf, sports of any sort, great food, the occasional trip to the beach. How does Houston do in terms of those things? And safety...how safe/unsafe is the city in general?

There are roughly 5 million people living in the Houston metro area so there's obviously lots to do. If you want to hit a different club every night though you should consider L.A.

You can do everything you listed but I dont really like the beach here. If you can live without the beach then you will do fine. And yes there are plenty of lcations one can go to to meet someone.

I never really felt unsafe here and I walked through montrose at 3 am several times. Cant provide you with any statistics right now but I would think its somewhat safer than other large cities.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 118,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1977 View Post

I am a transplant here myself, have been here for years and would NOT recommend Houston to anyone but my worse enemies.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,277 times
It's FABULOUS. You will love it!

Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 PM

1,143 posts, read 3,296,880 times
My single, 29 yo sister is about to move here and is also curious what the single scene is like. I need to start doing some research on where some safe and fun places are to hang out so I am paying special attention to threads like these.

I'm hoping more singles will post some good tips here.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
My single, 29 yo sister is about to move here and is also curious what the single scene is like. I need to start doing some research on where some safe and fun places are to hang out so I am paying special attention to threads like these.

I'm hoping more singles will post some good tips here.

PERFECT! Feel free to introduce us when we both get there!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:01 PM

21 posts, read 67,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeme View Post
I am a transplant here myself, have been here for years and would NOT recommend Houston to anyone but my worse enemies.
And you say this because?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:19 AM

68 posts, read 193,986 times
Default Houston is a great town

I've lived all over the country and Houston is hands down my favorite town. I grew up in Chicago and currently live in Tucson, AZ (hell on earth) and am trying desperately to get back to Houston. If you are young and single definitely live inside the loop. Good areas to look in are upper kirby, montrose, down town, mid town, and the heights. Lots of bars and clubs. The Rice University area has a lot of bars and there are always people out every night. Down town has a lot of clubs where people frequent mostly on the weekends. There are tons of restaurants and festivals in these areas as well. I find that people in Houston are very friendly for the most part. The only thing I disliked about Houston were the drivers and the weather. But I'll take the humidity over this dry Arizona air any day.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:25 AM

27 posts, read 118,695 times
Exclamation not for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocator09 View Post
And you say this because?
I HAVENT MEANT EVERYONE IN THE CITY, CANT JUDGE THEM ALL… BUT I HAVE YET TO MEET A SINGLE HONEST, UNSELFISH, GIVING, FRIENDLY PERSON IN THIS CITY.

Honestly, Houston is not for everyone. In MY OPINION, Not everyone can deal with the horrible traffic, the tailgaters that could care less if you are flattened on the freeway, the way others try to constantly beat you down, how outsiders are treated like second class citizen, how being “Christian” entails going to church 1 hour a week then the other 167 hour a week you do the exact opposite of what the bible says, how you can not tell anyone you have a penny to your name or they will attempt to take it, how people will lie to your face without question, that people do not help others in need, how your skin color determines "who you are", how greed is the only way to be….

AGAIN, I HAVENT MEANT EVERYONE IN THE CITY, CANT JUDGE THEM ALL… BUT I HAVE YET TO MEET A SINGLE HONEST, UNSELFISH, GIVING, FRIENDLY PERSON IN THIS CITY.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 AM

5,773 posts, read 13,560,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeme View Post
I HAVENT MEANT EVERYONE IN THE CITY, CANT JUDGE THEM ALL… BUT I HAVE YET TO MEET A SINGLE HONEST, UNSELFISH, GIVING, FRIENDLY PERSON IN THIS CITY.

Honestly, Houston is not for everyone. In MY OPINION, Not everyone can deal with the horrible traffic, the tailgaters that could care less if you are flattened on the freeway, the way others try to constantly beat you down, how outsiders are treated like second class citizen, how being “Christian” entails going to church 1 hour a week then the other 167 hour a week you do the exact opposite of what the bible says, how you can not tell anyone you have a penny to your name or they will attempt to take it, how people will lie to your face without question, that people do not help others in need, how your skin color determines "who you are", how greed is the only way to be….

AGAIN, I HAVENT MEANT EVERYONE IN THE CITY, CANT JUDGE THEM ALL… BUT I HAVE YET TO MEET A SINGLE HONEST, UNSELFISH, GIVING, FRIENDLY PERSON IN THIS CITY.
I want to say that it sounds like all you have met then are homeless people, but that would be unfair to homeless people.

Seriously, if you cannot meet any nice, acceptable people in Houston, you probably need to meet yourself first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston