Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 10:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,231,188 times

Advertisements

I was reading today that the Obama administration is taking a different approach when it comes to funding highways. Though I admittedly don't agree with the administration on most things, I have to be honest and say I don't mind if this approach is taken at all. If Texas instead receives more funding for rail than highways, then I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,483,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I was reading today that the Obama administration is taking a different approach when it comes to funding highways. Though I admittedly don't agree with the administration on most things, I have to be honest and say I don't mind if this approach is taken at all. If Texas instead receives more funding for rail than highways, then I'm all for it.
This is one thing about this "change" that I can believe in. Pretty underwhelmed with the rest of it to be sure, but looks like we're moving a bit away from the obsession with concrete.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,124,564 times
Even small town Waco is thinking about rail within the downtown and Baylor area.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,911,331 times
Pretty much every small town/city is thinking of rail or guided transit somewhere.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:50 PM

24 posts, read 42,118 times
Actually a more practical idea would be thousands of small electric cabs and buses. No new infrastructure needed.

It's not cost competitive - yet. Wait a few years for the oil prices to oscillate their way up beyond the stratosphere.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:41 PM

20,510 posts, read 33,424,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian807 View Post
Actually a more practical idea would be thousands of small electric cabs and buses. No new infrastructure needed.

It's not cost competitive - yet. Wait a few years for the oil prices to oscillate their way up beyond the stratosphere.
You mean basically trolley's? Buses are simply not that popular and I don't know why people think they are. They are usually the last resort to many commuters simply because they can become uncomfortable real quick, has too many stops, and fight the same traffic as other vehicles.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM

7 posts, read 14,984 times
Houstonians seem to resist rapid transit of any type, even though it adds a new level of sophistication and convenience to almost every major metropolitan area nationwide.

Look at how many acres of parking lots that could be turned to better use

Look at how many people who are FORCED to drive through Houston to get anywhere else, who might still pay tolls, but have a more efficient and safe passage.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,124,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertLester View Post
Houstonians seem to resist rapid transit of any type, even though it adds a new level of sophistication and convenience to almost every major metropolitan area nationwide.

Look at how many people who are FORCED to drive through Houston to get anywhere else, who might still pay tolls, but have a more efficient and safe passage.
So why did Houstonians vote for rail????

Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,911,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertLester View Post

That explains why Houstonians voted for rail. And have you not seen Downtown this decade? So many parking/surface lots filled in.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,483,237 times
It's less Houstonians in general and more politicians propped up by suburban development interests. The people who live in the city want more options. Driving everywhere only works to a certain density point. Los Angeles found this out the hard way.

I'm actually hoping they go ahead and scrap the University Line plan and, in its place, go with proper rapid transit under/above ground. If there is one route in the rail plan that's worthy of it, that's the one.

Maybe the underground garage at the Galleria could even be worked into it as it passes under Westheimer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston