Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:26 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times

Advertisements

There's so many contractors out there, I don't know which one to choose. Also, it looks like I will have to communicate with three different neighbors on how to split the cost of our fences that went down during Ike. I really hate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 01:33 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Good luck with that! I'm told there are more scam contractors out there than ever before! Any idiot can and has, put one of those magnetic signs on the sides of their pick-up. I would check and then recheck with the BBB before hiring any one on!

Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Atlas. Used them three times.
Southwestern fence is their cedar fence group.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:45 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,244 times
Just an FYI, nobody owns any of your fences. Your neighbor doesn't have to contribute to the replacement. If they do, it is voluntary and I wouldn't hold your breath.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I only had one neighbor in the past refuse to help. "We're old, we don't have kids and dogs. We don't care what kind of fence you build and we aren't paying anything."

I said, "Oh goodie! I was planning on a 10 foot high fence and staining it neon green, with alternating purple boards. I'm going for the Mexican Fiesta theme." All with a very serious face.

Three hours later they called and offered to pay half if " I would build a traditional fence."

Old 10-08-2008, 01:58 PM

EasilyAmused, that's HILARIOUS :-)

Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Default LOL! That's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I only had one neighbor in the past refuse to help. "We're old, we don't have kids and dogs. We don't care what kind of fence you build and we aren't paying anything."

I said, "Oh goodie! I was planning on a 10 foot high fence and staining it neon green, with alternating purple boards. I'm going for the Mexican Fiesta theme." All with a very serious face.

Three hours later they called and offered to pay half if " I would build a traditional fence."
I know I won't have any problems with one. The other two, I don't know about. I assumed at first I was responsible for the fence that had the boards facing my home but my homeowners assoc. spokesman said, that is not the case. She told me all the fences are shared or it depended on which original owner put the fences up.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM

Yeah, the "which direction the pretty side faces" thing is just an urban (suburban?) myth. If the fence falls down, it's either split the cost or a stand-off to see who caves and builds one first I don't want to look at my neighbors back yard, so I'd probably cave and build it. On the other hand, if they have some big smelly annoying barky dog, I might just leave it down in hopes that their dog will run away and never return.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:34 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
We lost both of our side fences during Ike. One side neighbor stepped up to the plate and we are splitting the cost, and even managed to agree on a new design. On the other side, the woman is pleading poverty (well, I guess that new Escalade probably does drain her checkbook , and so we are likely stuck paying for it ourselves.

I have a guy who did my back cedar fence last year, and it's nice and sturdy...PM me if you want his details.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:44 PM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post

LMAO!!!! I would have done the very same thing!!! Funny how folks with NO interest suddenly manufacture one when the absurd is presented as a probable reality!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston