Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:57 AM

925 posts, read 4,711,632 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We recently moved to our new house and wanted to get cable TV. The main reason is that the Antenna does not catch any signals so we cannot access the basic channels.

I checked the prices of UVerse packages but they were starting at $50 a month which I think is too much since we don't really watch that much TV.

What do you think are the good alternates. What about Direct TV and how is it?

Any comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,740,597 times
You can watch most shows online now via the networks sites or hulu.com so you might be better off investing in high speed internet and a large monitor if you don't watch tv that much.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Well, that is true but I guess searching for the channels online and sometimes the sites are down. There are many things that can go wrong these days.

I prefer TV for news, food channel, discovery, WB 39, Fox, UPN etc

Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Get one of those DTV convertor boxes and your antenna should catch all of the channels. Crystal clear reception. Get the govt to pay for most of it:

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks tstone,

We do have HDTV but we are not able to receive the signals. The signals are weak maybe because of our house location.

What can you advice us on this issue?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:35 AM

HDTV and DTV are two separate things.

How far out is your house from town?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM

We live in North West Houston near Champions Forest Drive.

I will research on DTV and what it is!

Thanks,

Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,324 times
If you are too far away from the network antenna's for over the air (which allows access to local analog, digital, and high definition), then cable/satellite are your best bet. However, home antennas are usually pretty good at picking up our stations, so unless your home's antenna is broken, I would think you would be able to access most of the locals. If you want to go with a pay service, then it really is all about what types of channels you want to watch. You mentioned food network and discovery, both of which require cable or satellite.

If you have a high definition television and you want to watch high definition shows (not just digital, which is a step down in quality), then you want to make sure that whatever package you go for has access to at least a few HD channels. You also need to inform yourself of any upfront costs (installation or converter boxes/DVRs), and ongoing rental charges. Keep in mind that no service is cheap; I'm not sure that getting HD and keeping the cost under $50 is possible (though I welcome the opportunity to be proven wrong on this one).

FWIW, I have DirecTV and have been very satisfied. I had cable for a short while, but the non-HD picture quality was pretty poor. I think we probably pay a bit more for DirecTV, but we get a lot more out of it (better DVR, better overall picture quality, more channel choices). I know people with Uverse and I like the idea of it, but I haven't been impressed with the HD quality. After paying so much for HD televisions, so scrimp on the picture quality of the broadcasts seems silly to me, LOL.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks TravelGuy_73,

Well, it would be nice if we can just get basic cable. We used to have this in our apartment. We have HDTV and an antenna. The antenna is little small.

When I say basic channel I mean UPN 20, WB 39, FOX 26, NBC. The owner of the house told us that they were not able to capture the signals using their antenna. Not sure what kind of antenna they used.

I would like if I don't sign up for any service and get the antenna working. I will buy a new antenna maybe more powerful and then try to catch the channels. The good thing about the antenna is that I can always return to Wallmart if it does not work.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
We live in North West Houston near Champions Forest Drive.

I will research on DTV and what it is!

Thanks,

Rabbit ears about 3 feet long each + one of those boxes on that website I gave you should work fine for you.

DTV = digital TV. The antennas pick up the new digital signal, feed it to the converter box and then it outputs to your TV screen. It is as crystal clear as dish. This will be the new standard in Feb 2009, when analog TV goes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston