Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times

Advertisements

I was in Northern Cali for my honeymoon and it was 100+ everywhere in Cali (including northern) except inside San Francisco (and thank God, that's where we were staying). It's not the bed of roses they'd like you to believe it is. They have to have some reason for upholding that 400k for a 900 sq/ft 1920's bungalow in L.A. is a "fair price," and that a tiny row house with no yard, no driveway and no garage in San Franscisco is somehow worth 1.2 million. If we knew the truth -- that the weather there can sometimes be unpleasant, then it would destroy their illusion that having 70% of their salary go to housing is "worth it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
ZeroTX, I couldn't agree more! We lived in San Jose for 2 years and moved back to Houston (mostly because of the cost of housing and the low quality of education). I didn't have A/C at my rental house and believe me it got plenty hot! Of course, it only lasted for a few days at a time but with no A/C we were miserable. For the most part, the inside temp of my 50 year old home was whatever temp it was outside. I had no control which was especially fun during the rainy season.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Sure doesn't feel like fall today

Currently in Houston, TX
Partly Cloudy 87°F
Feels Like
92°F
Dew Point: 70°F
Humidity: 58%
Pressure: 30.05 inches
Wind: From the East Northeast at 10 mph

Old 10-13-2008, 03:14 PM

407 posts, read 1,736,338 times
Ya know, David Lee Roth once said "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it!" I can't change the weather outside but I CAN use my A/C and make it fall inside and I feel fine.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen_jane View Post
Ya know, David Lee Roth once said "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it!" I can't change the weather outside but I CAN use my A/C and make it fall inside and I feel fine.
I love that.

And I enjoy looking out my window and seeing SUN. I guess after almost 10 years in the Pacific Northwest I will never take that for granted ever again.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:59 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,937,568 times
Ditto. Cold or not cold, the endless grayness of winter and spring in the Northeast was downright depressing. The sun is sooo good for my attitude, I'll take a little heat with it for a few months.

Off to Dewberry Farm tomorrow to really get into the fall spirit. Then to Chicago on Friday, where frankly I'm praying I don't need a jacket or close toed shoes for bar hopping.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:56 PM

214 posts, read 725,059 times
I just winterized my boat, RV, and race car. I hate being in a state where I can use my toys over 1/2 the year!!! 86* and sunny is perfect weather to me. Can't wait to make the move to Houston in Feb/March.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:42 AM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
Try spending 2 months in northern Europe during the fall...it is almost always gray, cold, and damp. but unfortunately that is where i get to live during the fall...well there is Oktoberfest for a few brief bearable weeks.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
the weather here is atrocious. it gets too hot in the summer and it's never cold enough in the winter. there are some days during the autumn and spring that feel perfect, but other days i can't remember why i love texas

i like hot summers (it means less clothes and an excuse to get in the pool)
crisp, dry, and very cool autumns with clear skies and thin, light, cotton string clouds
dark, cold, overcast, snowy winters (i'm not lying. i love it)
and i don't really care what the weather is like in spring as long is it's not too hot and the flowers are blooming with the leaves on the trees looking light green

Old 10-14-2008, 04:48 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
the weather here is atrocious. it gets too hot in the summer and it's never cold enough in the winter. there are some days during the autumn and spring that feel perfect, but other days i can't remember why i love texas

i like hot summers (it means less clothes and an excuse to get in the pool)
crisp, dry, and very cool autumns with clear skies and thin, light, cotton string clouds
dark, cold, overcast, snowy winters (i'm not lying. i love it)
and i don't really care what the weather is like in spring as long is it's not too hot and the flowers are blooming with the leaves on the trees looking light green
Basically what you're saying is that you like seasons. I do as well. I love Houston and Texas but the weather is a big part why I'm not racing to go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston