Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 PM

3 posts, read 13,869 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm really considering moving to Houston by the end of the year. I went to Houston Cypress area this summer to visit my brother and loved it. I'm a little worried about finding a job. I work in a NYC hospital as a Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist and I'm wondering if I will find work in Houston. How is work in the health field in Houston? Help, I need advise on making this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 PM

530 posts, read 2,027,791 times
Are you joking? The Texas Medical Center is one of the best medical facilities in the United States. Plus, there are hospitals all over town, including Northwest Houston. Start putting in apps/resumes and I imagine you can find something.

I'll defer the viability of your specific job type to someone with more experience in the medical field. However, it doesn't seem like most people in that field have much difficulty finding work. Just be aware of the grand size of this city. Geographically it is MUCH MUCH bigger than NYC, so you need to know specifics of location, not just "Houston" in the hospital address. For instance, you'd never, ever want to live in Cypress and commute into the Medical Center

Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 10,086 times
The housing market is actually also good in the cypress area. Not only is there the medical center but there are several hospitals close to Cypress (Willowbrook, North Cypress Medical Center and CyFair Hospital). Good Luck

Old 10-11-2008, 03:59 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,784,898 times
If your moving from NYC you would probably be most comfortable living Midtown and it's just minutes away from the Texas Medical Center.

Good luck with your move

Old 10-12-2008, 12:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,007 times
I'm moving from the ATL and am concerned about jobs as well. Jobs are hard to come by in Atlanta, but I have a marketing background so I don't really care about that industry. Any recs?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:54 AM

279 posts, read 1,159,328 times
Jobs are scarce in NJ too and I'm taking a chance and coming down in December or sooner. Scared myself about not being able to find a job. I'm more in for Collections, CSR, Human Resources Recruiting Coordination, and Admin jobs. I'm going to finish my schooling to be a nurse then a crna once I get there...but in the meantime I need a job and so far nobody has been responding that great.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,784,898 times
Anyone looking for a job in Houston should have no problem finding one. As long as you are qualified it should be really easy to find a job. The best time to look will be January but if you can't wait that long I would suggest trying one of the many staffing agencies in the area.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 AM

530 posts, read 2,027,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingToMakeIt View Post
I'm moving from the ATL and am concerned about jobs as well. Jobs are hard to come by in Atlanta, but I have a marketing background so I don't really care about that industry. Any recs?
I can't say much about marketing jobs (I know nothing of it). But... My recommendation is never, ever again refer to your present city as "the ATL." Even worse, let's not use "Hotlanta," either. You'll sound like some gold-toothed thug from a rap video if you do. Just FYI.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:22 PM

8 posts, read 29,750 times
Hello,
I just moved to Houston from NYC last month and love it! You should search the JOB boards to gauge the demand (as I did with I.T. field). Things to consider before making your move:
1. You WILL need a car, esp. if you plan to live/travel outside the city.
2. No State or City Taxes! The 10% increase I negotiated with my new Houston employer increased my takehome by 25%!!!
3. Homes are CHEAP!!! I'm renting a beautiful 2700ft2, 5BR house w/pool in Sugarland for $1500 mo. (the house is on the market for only $150k). Try finding anything in NYC for $150k!!!
4. The weather is great! Low humidity compared to the east coast and temps still in the mid-80s.

I hope this helps...

Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 PM

7 posts, read 16,462 times
One option, that will allow you the time to decide is to lease. Katy-West Houston will be new location of 3 hospitals (St. Luke, Texas Childrens, Methodist Hospital). The construction has started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston