Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 PM

187 posts, read 714,471 times

Advertisements

Halloween stores are fine for costumes, make up, accessories, and some decor, but use caution when buying ANY items with working parts (lights, scary characters, moving critters, etc.) from these places. In my experience the merchandise is expensive and very poor quality, and usually all sales are final.

I knew this when I went to a place today Moderator cut: store name, but I was looking for something specific. I chose only items in unopened packaging. There was no option to try out merchandise before leaving the store to make sure it worked, so I tested it as soon as I got home. It had been less than an hour, but when we called the store to tell them all but one of the purchased items didn't work at all, they basically said "Too bad. All sales are final."

I get why these stores limit the option for returns or exchanges, but it's not like I had a party and tried to bring them back....it had been less than an hour. I find it very poor customer service that they don't stand behind the quality of their products when it's clear the items are brand new and haven't been used.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-12-2008 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Consumer complaints not permitted per ToS as they present defamation issues w/o giving the other side of the argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 AM

19 posts, read 89,341 times
Did you pay by credit card? Sounds like a good reason to do a chargeback...let them eat the cost of the item plus a significant fee. The ultimate consumer revenge.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:23 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Moderator cut: inappropriate

Anyway, plaidfrogg, I have a feeling I know which store. Moderator cut: DM for info

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-12-2008 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: See DM -- Also request info by DM only

Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Moderator cut: inappropriate

There is an automatic implied warranty of merchantibility that says an item has to work as it is intended unless labeled otherwise. I like the idea of disputing the credit card charges best.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-12-2008 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: See DM

Old 10-12-2008, 01:40 PM

187 posts, read 714,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sje2081 View Post
Did you pay by credit card? Sounds like a good reason to do a chargeback...let them eat the cost of the item plus a significant fee. The ultimate consumer revenge.
How does a chargeback work?

Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
call your bank and tell them you want to dispute the charge.... they should be able to do this 24/7 ..... so the sooner the better......

Old 10-12-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidfrogg View Post
How does a chargeback work?
For me, it's as simple as logging into my credit card account, selecting a transaction, and clicking on Dispute this Item.

Having been on the merchant side of such disputes, I can tell you the system is tilted in your favor. Usually, it's you against the larger resources of a company. But now it's the company against the larger resources of Visa/Mc. The company will wake up to find a notice that $$ have been debited from their account due to a chargeback. It's now up to the company to dispute the chargeback. If they don't, case over. And there's a good chance they won't, see below. If they do, the cc issuer will examine the facts and make a binding decision. They tend to support the buyer.

Here's the kicker and why the system is slanted in your favor. The merchant may be hit with an administrative fee by their gateway just to handle the dispute, even if they prevail. The fee may be much higher if they challenge and lose. Now the big guys probably have better terms than the small guys, but for me it was $15 minimum no matter what, and $50 if I challenged and lost. Therefore, I tended to cut my losses and not risk $50 unless the amount was very large and I was very confident.

I'll bet if you contact the owner and tell them if they don't make it right you will dispute the charges on your credit card, you'll get results.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Oh, I forgot one more goodie. Too many chargebacks and a merchant can lose their gateway account. These days a merchant that loses the ability to accept credit cards is in deep trouble. Trust me, "chargeback" is the magic word that will likely get you results, especially on smaller transactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston