U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 AM

34 posts, read 209,144 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

i'm going crazy with these lawn moving people showing up for a few weeks and then they stop coming. This is the second guy that has just stopped coming and cutting my grass and i have no idea why? I pay on time and to the agreed price yet still they leave without notice. Can anyone suggest lawn moving people? What I am looking for i s someone to cut the grass, blow, trim and pick the weeds on bi-monthly basis for around $30-$40. Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 08:17 AM

25 posts, read 88,702 times
Try Casanova Lawn Services. They have been doing my lawn and always due a top notch job. 281.639.0050

Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 AM

530 posts, read 1,928,899 times
Wow, they ding you for $40 up there in "the Ranch"?

I find them just by looking for trucks w/ lawn trailers parked along streets in the neighborhoods... ask if they have a business card, rates, etc.

No idea what to tell you about the ones that disappear. It happens. I had a guy mowing my yard in Spring for about 5 years and one day he up and disappeared. All phone numbers disconnected, never came by again. What do ya do?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM

1,314 posts, read 6,095,563 times
Call these guys, they do my yard and they do a pretty good job.

Turf Plus - 281-222-LAWN

Old 10-13-2008, 03:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 3,090,789 times
Smile Lawn Service problems

The lawn service companies are very busy after the hurricane cleaning up yards and cutting up trees etc. I know that their regular business is lawn care but right now the money for them is in cleanup after the hurricane.

For the $40 you pay them to mow your lawn it's much better for them to spend their time doing cleanup jobs that pay much more.

Also just a mention. I came from California and Arizona and I can't beleieve that these people charge as little as 25 bucks to do a yard. Folks, that is Third World Wages. This is supposed to be a first world country. I mean you expect them to Mow the lawn, trim the edges and blow it all clean as well as trimming shrubs and taking care of weeds. This is ridiculous.

Imagine working outside all day in this horrific heat and then paying outrageous prices to fill up your gas guzzling truck, driving through traffic all day and mainaining all the equipment. We need to be more fair to our serice people here. I mean this is a luxury? Right?

Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 PM

954 posts, read 2,396,061 times
I don't know his number, but we use Tomas Mora Landscaping. $25 for a Bi-weekly mow, blow, and rake the mulch. Say what you want about slave wages, but this was his quote. And his crew does me and my neighbor as if it is one lawn, at the same time... both yards done in 20 min flat. There are several others (2 are friends of mine) here in the same Cinco SW neighborhood. So the crew makes one neighbor hood "drop", and clears a couple hundred. Beats the dude that drives just to your house for $40 and leaves to another neighborhood

So I say talk to your neighbors, see who they use.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:00 PM

I pay mine $25, but they do it in under an hour, man. $25/hour and he probably doesn't report the income to the IRS, either. They line it up by neighborhood and do a schedule. He does 14 yards in this neigbhorhood in one day. 14*$25=350 probably tax-free... Not bad for someone who may or may not have a high school education. I'm not saying I want to do it, but it's what they do and they wouldn't do it for that price if it wasn't economical to do so.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:38 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,129,801 times
My lawn guy quoted me $25 also, but like other posters, this guy does a number of yards in my neighborhood and they are in and out. Now, I did start giving him an extra $5 this year because I thought $25 was too low with the increase in gas prices and I had requested that he raise his mower blades (St Augustine grass should be cut much taller than he was doing it). Well, he only did it that once. And the blades of my grass are shredded because they aren't sharpening the mower blade enough, if at all (which can weaken the grass and make it more susceptible to disease). And they will cut the grass every Tuesday, even if the grass is sopping wet, even if it is under stress (drought) and shouldn't be cut that day. So, even though I hate cutting the lawn, I am thinking about doing it myself so that I can have the lawn I really want to have.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:56 AM

Yeah, your $25 lawn guy isn't really into long-term lawn care as much as making it look good at that particular moment and moving on to the next one.

If you're from here, though, you probably realize that you can pretty well beat the crap out of the lawn and it will still grow back here when we get a good rain. I've had huge dirt patches that filled in with healthy grass within one year of regular watering & mowing.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,129,801 times
In New Orleans, all you ever had to do the grass was cut it - never needed to fertilize, water (rained all the time). Always green and lush.

We almost never got a good rain this summer in Katy (at my office in Houston - rain all of the time - back home - zero), so the grass seemed to always be stressed and trying to maintain a healthy green lawn has been a lot of work, and the lawn guys are probably making it worse. :-(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: