Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2008, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 29,306 times

Advertisements

Where to begin...

We're relocating to Houston at the beginning of the New Year and are looking to buy or lease a house. We have 3 children between the ages 5 -11. Our jobs are close to the University of Houston and a short commute time (15-30 min) is a high priority. Even higher priorities are a very safe neighbourhood and an exemplary school for our children. We have been advised to look at Pearland, Bellaire, West University and Meyerland.

Thus far, we have focused on Pearland of which we have been told that the commute time via 288 would be roughly 15 minutes to the University, very safe neighbourhood and that the housing market is booming. However, reading many posts in this forum we receive a very different impression of the traffic and crime in the area.

Are there any European expats living in these areas that could shed some light on these communities? And are there any other areas we should consider?

Thanks for the help
/b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 02:49 AM

469 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briky69 View Post
Where to begin...

We're relocating to Houston at the beginning of the New Year and are looking to buy or lease a house. We have 3 children between the ages 5 -11. Our jobs are close to the University of Houston and a short commute time (15-30 min) is a high priority. Even higher priorities are a very safe neighbourhood and an exemplary school for our children. We have been advised to look at Pearland, Bellaire, West University and Meyerland.

Thus far, we have focused on Pearland of which we have been told that the commute time via 288 would be roughly 15 minutes to the University, very safe neighbourhood and that the housing market is booming. However, reading many posts in this forum we receive a very different impression of the traffic and crime in the area.

Are there any European expats living in these areas that could shed some light on these communities? And are there any other areas we should consider?

Thanks for the help
/b
My family on my mother's side is originally from Norway. It is nice to have an opportunity to welcome another scandinavian. So, I am excited to have the opportunity to welcome you first. Welcome to Houston!

Many people are still proclaiming the once short commute from inside the 610 to Pearland, but during high traffic times it just doesn't exist any longer. Far to much development with not enough infrastructure and no public transportation to speak of has made the jont to Pearland in traffic exceed the 40 min. mark. And it is only getting worse. Plus housing prices are very flat and will be one of the first areas to start experiencing declines. The average time on market for the Pearland area is already over 120 days. Alot of this has to do with over building and traffic issues.

Good elementary schools and a commute of less than 30 minutes to the University of Houston is not going to be cheap. What monthly housing expenses are you looking at having? Are you set on public schools or are you willing to consider private schools? When thinking of less expensive housing Spring Branch ISD comes to mind but the commute times in traffic are going to be similar to Pearland.

Anyways let us know what you are looking to spend and whether or not you are willing to consider private schools. This will help us in narrowing things down for you.

Last edited by Jamesww; 10-19-2008 at 03:12 AM..

Old 10-19-2008, 03:06 AM

Hi JamesWW,

Thanks for the heart-felt welcome. I have worked more than 4 years in Oslo and the Norwegian's are great folk.

WRT price range we are looking at a range of 250' - 500' USD and for schools we have heard high praise of charter and magnet schools. So we will most likely be looking to place our kids in one of these highly rated schools. We have also heard that Bellaire has quite good schools as well.

Appreciate the info on the commute and house pricing for Pearland.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,244 times
Wow, well. If you have a 500k price range, you will be in the elite in Pearland. Granted, there are plenty of overpriced 250k builder homes these days, but unless you need a monster house to hold your 10 kids, I would never even consider spending over 200 in Pearland. But that's just me.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the insight on pricing ZeroTX. The budget was not specific to Pearland as we are also looking at Bellaire, West U and Meyerland. We have been given the impression the homes in those areas are considerably higher.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:24 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Cannot get into West U or (realistically) Bellaire for your budget, but you can get into the Meyerland area, specifically Willow Meadows, Maplewood, and some parts of Meyerland proper. You can check out har.com and plug in zip codes 77035 and 77096.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briky69 View Post
Hi JamesWW,

Thanks for the heart-felt welcome. I have worked more than 4 years in Oslo and the Norwegian's are great folk.

WRT price range we are looking at a range of 250' - 500' USD and for schools we have heard high praise of charter and magnet schools. So we will most likely be looking to place our kids in one of these highly rated schools. We have also heard that Bellaire has quite good schools as well.

Appreciate the info on the commute and house pricing for Pearland.
I love Oslo and it happens to be my mothers birth place. I have not gotten to see enough of the country though. I intend to visit more in the future. Thank you for the kind words about the Norwegian's I am sure my grandmother would love to hear that.

The charter and magnet schools are excellent but selective. If you are anticipating that you will have your children attend those schools I really only have a couple of suggestions other than Bellaire, West U, and Meyerland. If a townhome lifestyle fits your taste I would suggest Rice Military and the majority of the 77007 zip code. The 77007 is really starting to become a great area but alot of people don't realize this because 20 years ago it was a bad area. If you take a close look at the archtecture you can notice that there has been a couple of different attempts over the years at re-gentrification. I believe this one will stick especially the parts that boarder on River Oaks, Rice Military and the Heights. One thing that I have noted is that prices in this zip are up by almost 10% this year and that is outstanding for anywhere in the South. Another reason why I think it will hold this time is that you have a very well funded character controlling most of the land. Frank Liu owns close to 30% of the land in that zip and will make sure it doesn't go bad.

One of the posters noted that your price range would not fit Bellaire or West U. I have to disagree with that as the upper end of your price range can land a nice place in those areas especially if you are ok with older homes. I love them myself once they are updated but most people here in Houston prefer new construction. Bellaire will have a few more options than West U in your price range but once you get under 400K you cannot find much other than tear downs. West U will be a little more difficult but there are options between 470-500K but they are not easy to land.

Be careful with who you listen to on here because like all other places there are people that give advice that do not have a clue and then there are people who are very knowledgable as well. I think Tstone and modster give pretty good advice, however, I believe that Tstone knows alot more about the suburbs and if I remember right he grew up in Sugarland. Modster is an agent as well as I am but specializes in the Heights area if I remember right. Those two come to mind as people that give good advice but I will have to decline on tarnishing those that do not. And one last thing you should know is that the suburbs have poor appreciation usually around the inflation rate average for the past 30 years. So, if you are not going to live in the home for at least 5 years expect that you will bearly be able to sell without taking a loss. Inside the loop is a much more sound choice if you can afford it.

Whether you decide to buy or rent let me know if you would like any help with your move all I ask is that you catch me up on how things are in Scandinavia. Feel free to PM me anytime you see fit.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:18 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
One of the posters noted that your price range would not fit Bellaire or West U. I have to disagree with that as the upper end of your price range can land a nice place in those areas especially if you are ok with older homes. I love them myself once they are updated but most people here in Houston prefer new construction. Bellaire will have a few more options than West U in your price range but once you get under 400K you cannot find much other than tear downs. West U will be a little more difficult but there are options between 470-500K but they are not easy to land.
My point is that the OP has three kids, doesn't know the city, and is most likely going to be relying on a realtor to track down properties to see on short visits. From all accounts, looking for a needle in a haystack (a decent-sized house under 500k for a family of five in Bellaire or West U) is probably not realistic. Other inner loop neighborhoods outside 77401 and 77005 offer far more value, with equally nice amenities, and a larger supply of which to look at.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,244 times
If I woke up in your shoes, I'd take 300k (or just under that) and buy a REALLY nice place in Pearland and save your other 200k for retirement savings (whether that means cash or monthly deposits). But a lot depends on the lifestyle/location type that you like. If I woke up in MY shoes with YOUR budget, I'd buy as much wooded acreage as I could afford up in Northeast Texas and never bother with the smelly city.

-Michael

Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM

848 posts, read 2,126,828 times
Pearland is nice but traffic within that area is now heavy like on 518. But commuting across 288 to U of H is not so bad. 288 is still a nice open freeway of sorts. Not as crowded and not many freeway strip centers at all.

If you have young kids, Pearland is an OK choice. My wife's nephew has in-laws there and I have an aunt there as well. It's kinda nice.

Houston has the largest concentration of Norwegians outside of Scandinavia (not counting the Norwegian-Americans of Minnesota) and hopefully their burgeoning cultural amenities can accomodate some other Scandinavians.

I visited Malmo and Copenhagen in 1995 (but sadly didn't get to Norway)...och...jag tycker om Sverige.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston