Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM

31 posts, read 95,334 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating our family( toddler and one on the way) to either houston area or philadelphia, there are job opportunities in both areas, just would like some feed back, from anyone who can compare the two cties and give advice in making the choice.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:35 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Pick Philadelphia; its a lot more happening and vibrant. Houston does not have very many appealing places to visit. You need a car for everything. I MEAN EVERYTHING!! the weather here gets muggy and hot at random times of any season. Houston does have more job oppurtunities and does have a relatively lower cost of living; but if you factor in the Gas, car payments, again GAS MONEY the reduced cost of living isnt that much different than Philadelphia. Things here seem so much slower and uneventful.

However since you do have a family then the houston housing market is much better. There are new communities that seem to be built every 6 months. but they are again farther away from the city; but since you are a small family then the suburbia life might seem much more appealing then a happening lifestyle.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
The weather in Houston isn't too awefully different from Florida, so keep that in mind when choosing. Don't know enough about Philly to give you a good answer but Houston has a great restaraunt/arts/museum scene.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:30 PM

What would be the best areas to live with reasonable housing cost in houston and good school district in and around the city and if in the suburbs with an easy commute. What part of houston should we defintely stay out of.
I have lived in philadelphia before went to undergrad there, just concerned with the fact that we will have small children, not sure which areas would be the best incomparison with the two cities.

And what city in florida would you compare Houston too, if any?

thanks for your responses

Old 10-22-2008, 06:19 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,215,075 times
In weather and overall size, very similar to Jacksonville (Jacksonville is actually larger landwise). Houston is much more dense in population and development though and well...the St John's is just prettier and bigger than Buffalo Bayou. Houston also has a much larger industrial base. There are some very nice neighborhoods both near town and in the suburbs. Really depends on your price range, the amenities you want, and the length of commute you are willing to endure. If you can give some range of info, we can direct you more accurately.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:00 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Pick Philadelphia; its a lot more happening and vibrant. Houston does not have very many appealing places to visit. You need a car for everything. I MEAN EVERYTHING!! the weather here gets muggy and hot at random times of any season. Houston does have more job oppurtunities and does have a relatively lower cost of living; but if you factor in the Gas, car payments, again GAS MONEY the reduced cost of living isnt that much different than Philadelphia. Things here seem so much slower and uneventful.

However since you do have a family then the houston housing market is much better. There are new communities that seem to be built every 6 months. but they are again farther away from the city; but since you are a small family then the suburbia life might seem much more appealing then a happening lifestyle.
Well, Philadelphia is losing population and jobs while Houston is gaining.

Surely, there are more "happening" cities than Houston (and there are more "happening" cities than Philadelphia)...but Houston has great balance. Better balance than more so-called appealing cities that I have lived in or visited.

I go around Houston a lot...but it's spaced out...NONETHELESS it's happening...from the Galleria area to Midtown to the Montrose to downtown to the Rice Village...

so there you have it...Houston can be just as happening as a traditional compact city but it's simply not as dense or concentrated. But that's OK. I like Houston's spread out energy. Everything's not in a compact design.

I like how West Gray looks different than the Rice Village or downtown. Heck, West Gray @ Montrose with its mix of diners and pubs...even FEELS DIFFERENT than West Gray @ Bagby with its own diners and pubs!

Houston DOES have the excellent arts/museums/restaurants/clubs/shopping...the coastal areas (well, Galveston and Kemah will be back), the wooded areas...so I'm not sure about this "Houston doesn't have appealing places to visit." So, there's some kind of snooty Houston-bashing at work here.

The Museum District is a wonderful diversion here in Houston...but you can live in a suburb (Pearland, Katy, Sugarland areas or such) if you need good schools and the quiet surroundings. Discovery Green park in downtown is another wonderful resource for the kids...

So if there's entertainment that you need in a large city PLUS good livability...don't let the Houston bashers deceive you.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Philly has one of the highest murder rates in the country & is now commonly referred to as "Killadelphia".

I wouldn't exactly want to start a new family there if I were you.

I like how Houston has the look & feel of a big city, yet it still some how manages to retain that small town friendliness about it.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:22 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,808 times
I would go with Houston. You get more house for your $$$, lower taxes than Phily. Much less harsh winters than Phily. Taking in consideration that both have same job opportunities.
-I am currently in Houston, and I see more and more Florida License plates!
check out the "City of Houston" internet site for more details on relocating.
Best of luck.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:36 AM

thanks for all your responses, all are very helpful.

As far as for the price of housing we were thinking for something around the 250K price range, some place family friendly and were we feel safe letting our kids play out in the yard. And yet where there is some form of entertainment for us adults near buy(easy access), shopping dinning etc. so just not in the middle of nowhere.

We have been thinking about Philly for awhile but for similar reasons that you all mentioned we have chosen to consider other options. we are looking for a big city and at the same time a place to call home home.
I have been hearing good reviews about the Katy and Sugarland area, just wondering if there were other areas we could look at that is near the city and just opinions on nearby towns/communities with the cost of housing in our price range.

Schools are also an important issue for us. we have been looking at private schools in the suburbs in philly and the cost, just wondering about the same for the houston areas and what areas would be best to look at. We would like to have the option of public schools too.

Just wondering with the comparison to jacksonville, is there more to do in Houston, just more entertainment, not just the shopping and dining out.

And is the public transportation better than in philly?

thanks again for all your responses.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhn View Post
thanks for all your responses, all are very helpful.

As far as for the price of housing we were thinking for something around the 250K price range, some place family friendly and were we feel safe letting our kids play out in the yard. And yet where there is some form of entertainment for us adults near buy(easy access), shopping dinning etc. so just not in the middle of nowhere.

We have been thinking about Philly for awhile but for similar reasons that you all mentioned we have chosen to consider other options. we are looking for a big city and at the same time a place to call home home.
I have been hearing good reviews about the Katy and Sugarland area, just wondering if there were other areas we could look at that is near the city and just opinions on nearby towns/communities with the cost of housing in our price range.

Schools are also an important issue for us. we have been looking at private schools in the suburbs in philly and the cost, just wondering about the same for the houston areas and what areas would be best to look at. We would like to have the option of public schools too.

Just wondering with the comparison to jacksonville, is there more to do in Houston, just more entertainment, not just the shopping and dining out.

And is the public transportation better than in philly?

thanks again for all your responses.

I should tell you about myself so you can see where im coming from; Im currently an Electrical Engineering student at the University of Houston. I live in Sugar Land(First Colony to be specific) and commute every weekday from SugarLand all the way to third ward (where UH is at).(40 Min. drive)

Well in sugarland there really isnt a need to send your kids to a private school the schools in Sugarland are great so there wouldnt be a need to spend extra money on schools. But again if you want to live in sugarland then you usually pay higher taxes because it is so safe and the schools are so nice. As far as the adult life sugarland is trying to get a sort of bootleg downtown going. They call it "Town Center" which has city hall and some business offices located next to some high-end restaurants. So there is some good things to do for adults with children there. Sugar Land is like Suburbia Heaven

But as far as the viscinity of SugarLand to Houston... SugarLand is atleast a 30 minute drive from all the great things that were posted by other people in this thread. Sort of the reason why they built "Town Center" in the first place. (I keep saying they built it because i dont want to be associated with the dimwits who designed some of the things there)

Let me tell you about Houston itself... it is very odd VERY odd to see people walking anywhere. If you dont have a car for yourself (not just one for you and your husband) its not considered a inconvenience its considered a HANDICAP!
Therefore almost every family has one car for one driver. That means that the public transportation that is available is minimal compared to places like Chicago; Boston; San Francisco. To put things in better perspective think about this Houston put in a light rail system about 5 years ago!! thats decades and decades after all the other major cities in the US

Jobwise Houston rocks. Depending on what your career field is; there are better oppurtunities here because of the oil and Gas industry and medical field.

Im looking to move out because Houston is not really that great of a city for 20 year olds. But in your case Houston should be a better fit. Just be ready to do alot of driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston