Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 AM

17 posts, read 46,111 times

Advertisements

I have a problem and wondering if anyone can help!

Quick facts: I bought a home early this year from a builder. During closing my builder made me sign a document saying that builder will appoint a company to do the protest on my property tax. Before the protest date I contacted o'connor and associates (tax agent) and they assured everything is in place for them to protest.

I got a mail recently saying that no one attended the protest and hence it was dismissed. Now the blame game started. I contacted builder and she contacted O'connor and told me that my case was dismissed because it had “had too many accounts under dispute”.

I dont understand who to trust here. Builder says that she did all she can and HCAD says that no one attended and Builder/oconnor says that they attended but were not allowed.

Frankly, I think my builder has a part in this fiasco and she is just manipulating the information from O'connor. The home is valued by more than $35000 than the price I paid for. SO I have a pay additional tax on this $35000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
What is your annual tax rate? If you're around 3%, then you're going to pay just over $1,000 extra because of that 35k value. Will it cost more than $1,000 to sue the builder? Probably. You can protest against YOURSELF next year. It's probably your only recourse other than perhaps to demand that $1000 from the builder to cover your costs this year.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Contact O'Connor and get their version of the story, don't accept the builder's word for it. I don't think there is a limit to number of accounts they can handle.

But ultimately, your only hope is to contact HCAD and explain everything and see if there is any way to appeal or re-schedule. I doubt you have a legal claim against the builder because your claim of $35K excess appraisal is conjecture.

Lesson learned, don't rely solely on others to handle your affairs that can easily be handled yourself. I used O'Connor one year and my feeling is that they just go through the motions and make their money on volume. Their ads make it sound like they are going to do research and go in there Perry Mason style and fight for every nickel but they'll never work as hard for you as you would for yourself.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM

17 posts, read 46,111 times
Thank you ZeroTX and DiverTodd62.

Can I protest next year about this at all. I assume I cannot!

Old 10-24-2008, 01:41 PM

You can protest next year and perhaps use your sales price as a base for any change in valuation going forward but you can't apply a lowered appraisal value retroactively.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
The sad thing is now you have to start 35k over the value of your home and try work it down(if you can) next year. HCAD Blows

Old 10-24-2008, 05:04 PM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
In Harris County you can protest using the iSettle system. I was able to reduce my taxable amount with out ever leaving my home.

Worked like a charm for me.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Maybe you can, maybe you can't. Depends on your reasons and the type of evidence you have to show. But I would think an issue like with the OP would be eligible.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,829 times
Usually they just bump the appraisal to whatever the selling price is if its protested within a year. Why did the building make you use O'Conner? They must have a deal. They know they will set the price at the closing price and O'Conner gets a cut and probably kicks back to the builder.

Why they didn't show up just sounds kind of lame. When I protested I noticed they had a appraisers set aside to only deal with the protest agents who would bring briefcases full of cases.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:24 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Actually I don't think they have a choice. They have to go with the selling price, if it's lower. When I bought my house years ago I only had to bring them the closing statement. Case closed.

But yes, you can protest every single year... it's just a matter of how difficult it might by. You can go by recent sales/comps in your area, etc. But you are responsible for all of the research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: