U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 PM

7 posts, read 27,311 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Woodlands for 2 months coming from Las Vegas. I am a big mexican food fan, but I can't seem to find a restaurant that has the same style mexican food like back home. The ones I have been to here serve the food with lots of cheese and/or queso and it seems the quality of chicken isnt the same as Las Vegas. I am not trying to put down the area at all, just searching for some good eats. Here is what I have had so far.

El Palenque
Taco Cabana
Ricos
Taquierias Arandas - My favorite so far
Berryhill
Pappasitos
Mamasitas - Good tortillas
Lupe Tortilla - Decent chicken
Casa Imperial
Guadalajara
Marcos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM

142 posts, read 963,752 times
Margarita's and Peppers in Conroe

Old 10-25-2008, 01:05 AM

343 posts, read 898,445 times
The ones you listed are pretty good for big chain mexican food. I would also recommend Los Cucos, Ninfas and Fiesta en Guadalajara. Now to find the best mexican around you would have to go into one of those small restaurants in the vain of Arandas. I would also recommend trying some tacos from the taco stands that are all over town now. The 2 I see often are Taco Loco and Los Gemelos.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:33 AM

530 posts, read 1,944,901 times
I'm a little confused as to the type of food you are looking for. You realize that what we have here, in general, is fairly authentic tex-mex or northern Mexican food. What you describe that you dislike is exactly what I LIKE!

I lived in Spring for nearly 8 years, and bar-none, the best Mexican restaurant in Spring/North Houston is El Imperial on FM1960, near the intersection w/ Red Oak. There's a Dunkin' Donuts in front of it, which is a substantial landmark, because there are only 3 DD's in all of Houston.

However, the fact that you like Taqueria Arandas the best is probably a good indicator that what you like isn't Mexican food per se, but taqeria food, which is more like Mexican street food. Most of the Mexican restaurants here serve a northern mexico tex-mex type of food... which, BTW, is what most Mexican food is in the entire U.S. There is actually a debate about whether burritos were invented in Texas or nothern Mexico near the Texas border. If you ask for a burrito in central Mexico, you'll get only a strange look.

Anyway, just FYI, Vegas ain't known for its authentic Mexican cuisine. Have you noticed that we have more restaurants here than any city in the U.S. and that a good portion of them are Mexican and run by real Mexicans?

Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,394,166 times
You're looking for Mexican food a la New Mexico? Lots of green sauce, etc? Or are you looking more for Southwestern "Mesa" type Native-American Mexican food?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,390,515 times
Wait a minute. I have to defend Lupe Tortillas (original location.) IMO, the best beef fajitas I've ever had!!!!!
Also, if you travel to Katy, try El Jarrito. Good food, really good margaritas.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:10 PM

2,271 posts, read 4,871,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
Wait a minute. I have to defend Lupe Tortillas (original location.) IMO, the best beef fajitas I've ever had!!!!!
Also, if you travel to Katy, try El Jarrito. Good food, really good margaritas.

If Lupe Tortillias is the best beef fajita, you've been deprived!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:56 PM

799 posts, read 3,530,620 times
i like los cucos...

Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 PM

530 posts, read 1,944,901 times
I would avoid the chain places if authetic is what you are looking for. Taquerias Arandas is good for taqueria type food, and there are many other of these types of restaurants in north Houston, near loop 610 east of I-45... but those aren't places I'd go at night after dark unless you're familiar w/ the neighborhoods.

Anyway, I do highly suggest taking a look at El Imperial on FM1960, near I-45... Go west on FM1960 a few blocks and look for the Dunkin' Donuts... it's behind there in a strip center. You'll see a Luby's first, then the Dunkin' Donuts. If you get to Ella Blvd, you went too far. Their menu is substantial, so if you don't like one thing, try something else. Or better yet, ask the waiter to get details of what's in the items first. BTW, you can always tell an authentic Mexican place, because they only have waiters... no waitresses. That's typical of Mexico.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,346,611 times
Try La Mexicana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>